Bryce Harper going to community college in 2009

maggsmaggs

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/48018907.html

Harper, a 16-year-old who just completed his sophomore year, has registered at the College of Southern Nevada, where he plans to attend classes in August and play for the Coyotes next season.

His father, Ron Harper, announced the decision Saturday while in Oklahoma City for a baseball tournament.

Ron Harper said his son, who turns 17 on Oct. 16, will be draft eligible "in 2010 or 2011. ... There are a lot of rules that people don't know about."

Nationals going to potentially have the two best draft prospects in the history of the sport in back-to-back years. Will it even matter? You can't win with two players.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
The next Todd Marinovich?

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Brandon Jennings, trying to speed up the process of getting into the draft.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Brandon Jennings, trying to speed up the process of getting into the draft.

According to his wiki page, Jennings was just to dumb to get into college though.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
According to his wiki page, Jennings was just to dumb to get into college though.

yeah, but we are starting to see kids that arent dumb that are considering going overseas now, because they want to get paid.

And this makes me wonder as well, why isnt this kid going to a major school for a year? If he is going to get his GED and compete in JUCO college sports, what is preventing him from going to a major Div 1 school?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
yeah, but we are starting to see kids that arent dumb that are considering going overseas now, because they want to get paid.

And this makes me wonder as well, why isnt this kid going to a major school for a year? If he is going to get his GED and compete in JUCO college sports, what is preventing him from going to a major Div 1 school?

If the kid goes to a div 1 school he can't enter the draft until after his sophomore year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
His bat speed is insane.

He's got really good bat speed, but don't forget, in most of those video's he's using an aluminum bat, and considering it's a home run derby, he doesn't have to use to standard -3 bat. His bat speed in the home run derby video is very impressive though.

If you want to see insane bat speed, Ted Williams still has the most bat speed I've ever seen. Just watching old videos of him, one frame you see him start his swing, and in the next frame, his bat is already through the hitting zone.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)

If you go to an NCAA school, I believe you can't be eligible until you are 21 within 40 days of the draft or something like that. So, in simpler terms, not until you are a junior or redshirt sophomore... but once in a while you'll get a guy who's a true sophomore who's eligible as well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
So they're making him go to a community school just so he can be eligible earlier for the draft?

Exactly. He'll get his High School GED as quick as he can, and go to a JUCO/CC that will give him tougher competition and more draft hype.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
He's got really good bat speed, but don't forget, in most of those video's he's using an aluminum bat, and considering it's a home run derby, he doesn't have to use to standard -3 bat. His bat speed in the home run derby video is very impressive though.

If you want to see insane bat speed, Ted Williams still has the most bat speed I've ever seen. Just watching old videos of him, one frame you see him start his swing, and in the next frame, his bat is already through the hitting zone.

He's played in several wooden bat leagues and I believe an HR derby as well and still hits for power.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
He's played in several wooden bat leagues and I believe an HR derby as well and still hits for power.

I've seen some of those videos with him using a wooden bat and he does have very good bat speed. But in the home run derby where he's hitting 500 foot home runs (this is probably the video people have seen most), his bat speed seems ridiculous thanks to the aluminum bat.

Personally, I hope all college ball and varsity high school switch over to wooden bats (at the very least D-I college). It just makes more sense that way, IMO. As someone who has played both with aluminum and wood bats, wood bats just seem so much more genuine, like how the game is suppossed to be played. Also, playing with wood will weed out the good from the bad. The only problem though it'll be more expensive because you need multiple bats (although some composite wood bats are almost as durable as aluminum bats).

From MLBTR...

Bryce Harper Enrolls In Junior College

By Mike Axisa [June 14 at 11:56am CST]

According to Matt Youmans of The Las Vegas Review-Journal, 16-yr old phenom Bryce Harper has enrolled at the College of Southern Nevada, and plans to attend classes this August. He will also get his GED this fall. Because CSN is a two-year institution, the move allows Harper to be eligible for the 2010 draft rather than waiting for 2011, when he would graduate high school.

Harper was introduced to the masses in a SI feature last month, and at the moment is the odds on favorite to go first overall in either the 2010 or 2011 drafts.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
His parents are asses. From everything I have read and how they're taking him out of HS early, I think it's certainly a possibility that they are just using him for their own gain.

Exactly what I was thinking. This had TM written all over it.

If this is completely Bryce's decision, I got no problem with it. But I highly doubt he wanted to spend his childhood and teen years doing nothing but play and practice baseball and miss out on the two best years of high school. It's because of this stuff that I wouldn't be surprised if Bryce's parents have/had him take HGH or Bryce took HGH to live up to his parents expectations.

Also, think about the risks that go into signing him. He is gonna be demanding a lot of money (and from what I've read in stories, it sounds like his dad is gunning for an early retirement), and think how much of a risk it is to give a 17 year old who's never been by himself and never had a childhood several million dollars. Plus, the whole thing with him being by himself finally, he could go the Todd Marinovich route and get addicted to drugs and waste all his money.

Also, I've heard some reports of him being a very lazy player on the field and being extremely cocky. From all the attention he's getting, he could feel like he's the best player since Babe Ruth.

Edited by BearSox