Bryce Harper going to community college in 2009

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
His parents are asses. From everything I have read and how they're taking him out of HS early, I think it's certainly a possibility that they are just using him for their own gain.

They really are...

They're trying to have him make the big bucks early, but they're possibly rushing him as well.

Boras is this kid's adviser. It wouldn't be beyond me if he was the one who made up this plan.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
If this is completely Bryce's decision, I got no problem with it. But I highly doubt he wanted to spend his childhood and teen years doing nothing but play and practice baseball and miss out on the two best years of high school. It's because of this stuff that I wouldn't be surprised if Bryce's parents have/had him take HGH or Bryce took HGH to live up to his parents expectations.

Also, think about the risks that go into signing him. He is gonna be demanding a lot of money (and from what I've read in stories, it sounds like his dad is gunning for an early retirement), and think how much of a risk it is to give a 17 year old who's never been by himself and never had a childhood several million dollars. Plus, the whole thing with him being by himself finally, he could go the Todd Marinovich route and get addicted to drugs and waste all his money.

Also, I've heard some reports of him being a very lazy player on the field and being extremely cocky. From all the attention he's getting, he could feel like he's the best player since Babe Ruth.

I just can't picture that...

Parents: Son we want you to become a great player. Take some HGH like Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi.

Bryce Harper: Alright, whatever you say.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Exactly. He'll get his High School GED as quick as he can, and go to a JUCO/CC that will give him tougher competition and more draft hype.

Yeah, his Good Enough Degree.

I don't care how great of a player you are going to be, but in my eyes, not finishing high school in this day and age and having to get a GED is kind of low.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
There should be a rule against this kind of stuff, you should have to be 18 to enter the draft. Obviously his parents are pushing this too. I hope he becomes the next Marinovich or Brien Taylor.

I don't hope he will, but I'm afraid trying to play minor league baseball at 17 with a bunch of 20/21 year olds might be a little overwhelming. And that could cause him to not live up to his potential.

His parents make me sick whether it's their idea or his to go pro early. If it's their idea, shame on them for using their son to get a big payday and make him miss out on 2 great years of his life. You're only a kid once. But, if this is mainly his idea, it's their job to step up and not let their son leave high school after 2 years. They should protect him from turning pro at such a young age and going into the world of grown men.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
I don't hope he will, but I'm afraid trying to play minor league baseball at 17 with a bunch of 20/21 year olds might be a little overwhelming. And that could cause him to not live up to his potential.

His parents make me sick whether it's their idea or his to go pro early. If it's their idea, shame on them for using their son to get a big payday and make him miss out on 2 great years of his life. You're only a kid once. But, if this is mainly his idea, it's their job to step up and not let their son leave high school after 2 years. They should protect him from turning pro at such a young age and going into the world of grown men.

Honestly I'm fine with it, its far tougher for a kid being signed for big $ out of the DR or Venezuela, than him, think of the culture shock those kids endure. your making it sound like his parents are just in it for the money, im sure its a mitigating circumstance but if i was his age and had his skills, i would want to turn pro early too.

i love how we're in awe of latin 16 and 18 year old prospects but the moment an American kid wants to get into the game as quickly as possible we look down upon it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
What does that have to do with anything?

We were talking about Jennings and the reason why he didn't play college ball was because he couldn't pass hi extrance exams to get into Arizona. So, he decided just to go to Europe and play pro there.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
If the kid goes to a div 1 school he can't enter the draft until after his sophomore year.

At his age it would be Junior year. Only certain non-juco players are sophmore eligibles and it has to do with when there birthdate is. He wouldn't fall in that category.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
Honestly I'm fine with it, its far tougher for a kid being signed for big $ out of the DR or Venezuela, than him, think of the culture shock those kids endure. your making it sound like his parents are just in it for the money, im sure its a mitigating circumstance but if i was his age and had his skills, i would want to turn pro early too.

i love how we're in awe of latin 16 and 18 year old prospects but the moment an American kid wants to get into the game as quickly as possible we look down upon it.

No, I wasn't. I said that could be one of the reasons. But still, the parents are being dumb in this decision. He's still a child and under their legal guardian, and they should have the say in whether he stays in high school or not - and they shouldn't let him leave early. These hispanic kids that come up at that young of an age tend to play in one of the DSL leagues (keeping them in their comfort zone) before moving up the minor league ladder, and they have likely played with players older than them in their native countries, whereas Harper is used to playing with a bunch of 16, 17 year old kids. I think there's a difference.

The main reason you are pushed to go to college, etc, is so you can make money. By getting a GED, he might be missing out on some of his younger years, I completely agree with that. However, at the same time, he might really love baseball and have a dream of playing in the bigs as soon as possible and he can do that and make lots and lots of money so if he's mature for his age it wouldn't shock me.

He wouldn't be the first kid to graduate a year early from highschool and go another route. And he's still going to get a college like experience down in the lower level of the minors as he'll probably spend 2-3 years in the minors. I don't care how good he is, he's not going to be called up for at least 2 seasons and even that would be pretty incredible.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
No, I wasn't. I said that could be one of the reasons. But still, the parents are being dumb in this decision. He's still a child and under their legal guardian, and they should have the say in whether he stays in high school or not - and they shouldn't let him leave early. These hispanic kids that come up at that young of an age tend to play in one of the DSL leagues (keeping them in their comfort zone) before moving up the minor league ladder, and they have likely played with players older than them in their native countries, whereas Harper is used to playing with a bunch of 16, 17 year old kids. I think there's a difference.

I don't think the latin american kids should be eligible to sign until their 18 either. I have a problem with teams giving millions of dollars to kids who are barely old enough to drive. IMO there should be a worldwide draft and you should have to be 18 to be eligible.

Ken Griffey Jr played 54 games in the minors as a 17 year old. Didn't hurt his career. When Harper actually signs with a team in August, 2010, he'll be 17 yrs. 10 mos. old. Griffey's first professional game, he was 17 yrs. 7 mos. old.

As long as the team that gets him (probably Washington) doesn't rush him as some kind of drawing card, I don't have any problem with this. It's out of the ordinary, but if he's being looked after by people that care for him and he's mature enough, I don't see what the big deal is.

Edited by flavum

He wouldn't be the first kid to graduate a year early from highschool and go another route

To be fair this is 2 years early (it says hes only a Sophmore) and it doesnt sound like he is actually graduating.

I didnt know you could leave HS and go to Community College, haha.

As for whether its a good idea, time will tell. He could have a career ending injury walking to community college.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
To be fair this is 2 years early (it says hes only a Sophmore) and it doesnt sound like he is actually graduating.

I didnt know you could leave HS and go to Community College, haha.

As for whether its a good idea, time will tell. He could have a career ending injury walking to community college.

That's a big reason on why I don't think what he's doing is right. He only spent 2 years in high school. I'd be less adamant about this if he was only skipping one year, but 2 years is over the top. I don't know anyone that's graduated high school early (and in this case, he's not graduating, but getting his GED) except my mom, and she graduated high school after 3 years before going to college. And she has always said that she really regrets missing that last year of high school with all her friends and all the stuff she would have done. I'm not saying he won't be successful and I sure hope he does well, but I'm worried this is the wrong route to take for him as a person (though it could be as a baseball player too).

Edited by dasox24