Draft Signings

danman31

Let's try and put all the draft signings news in one thread. We're going to try to track stuff on FutureSox with our DraftTracker (which we will continue to update with stories and signings), but let's put any little snippets we find in here too.

This story from the Sun-Sentinel says Bellamy was disappointed to fall to the 5th (interesting because a couple here called it an overdraft) and that he will probably sign. I wrote a story on him on FutureSox (link here) and it's hard to hate the pick considering he mowed down the ACC 2 years in a row.

Confirmed signings:

1 (23) – Jared Mitchell, CF, LSU

1A (38) – Josh Phegley, C, Indiana

2 (61) – Trayce Thompson, OF, Santa Margarita Catholic HS, CA

2 (71) – David Holmberg, LHP, Port Charlotte HS, FL

4 (133) – Matthew Heidenreich, RHP, Temescal Canyon HS, CA

5 (163) – Kyle Bellamy, RHP, U Miami

6 (193) – Justin Collop, RHP, Toledo

8 (253) – Ryan Buch, RHP, Monmouth

9 (283) – Matthew Hopps, RHP, Cal St Dominguez Hills

10 (313) – Nick Ciolli, OF, Indiana St.

11 (343) – Jimmy Ballinger, RHP, Southern Miss

12 (373) – Kyle Colligan, CF, Texas A&M

13 (403) – Cameron Bayne, RHP, Concordia U

14 (433) – Daniel Black, 1B, Purdue

16 (493) – Daniel Wagner, 2B, Belmont

18 (553) – Philip Negus, RHP, Wake Forest

19 (583) – Brady Shoemaker, LF, Indiana St.

21 (643) – Jared McDonald, SS, Arizona St.

22 (673) – Zach Kayne, SS, Davidson

23 (703) – Goldy Simmons, RHP, San Diego State

24 (733) – Jeffrey Tezak, 2B, Nebraska

26 (793) – Matthew Harughty, 2B, Oklahoma

27 (823) – Kyle Davis, 2B, Delaware

28 (853) – Robert Cummings, 3B, UC Santa Barbara

29 (883) – Charles Delk, RHP, Clemson

30 (913) – Robert Vaughn, C, Kansas St.

31 (943) – Michael Hamme, CF, Campbell U.

32 (973) – Jacob Wilson, RHP, New Mexico St.

33 (1003) – Chase Cooney, RHP, Volunteer State CC

34 (1033) – Alex Farotto, LHP, South Carolina

35 (1063) – Danny Wiltz, RHP, Tennessee

37 (1123) – Joseph Serafin, LHP, Vermont

38 (1153) – Anthony Casario, OF, Maryland

39 (1183) – Paul Burnside, RHP, Auburn

40 (1213) – Leighton Pangilinan, 1B, Escalon HS, CA

41 (1243) – Ryan Lee, CF, Cal Poly – San Luis Obispo

42 (1273) – Christopher Zagyi, RHP, Middlesex County College (NJ)

45 (1363) – Harold Baines Jr., LF, McDaniel College

Holmberg signs.

Three days after being selected in the second round by the Chicago White Sox in the 2009 Major League Baseball’s First-Year Player Draft, Holmberg signed a contract.

What made it easy was Holmberg agreed to the "slot" money for the 71st overall selection.

Holmberg will fly Monday to Chicago for a physical. From there, he will head Tuesday to Bristol, Va., where he will begin his pro career with the Rookie League Sox of the Appalachian League on June 23. The Sox are managed by Ryan Newman; Curt Hasler is the pitching coach.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090.../-1/NEWSSITEMAP

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
More like a week to either Great Falls or Bristol.

It could be that he plans on finishing school or doing something else prior to joining the organization. Given that he was such a late draft pick I don't think it matters a whole heck of a lot whether he's on this years short season squad or if he spends time in extended spring next year as an organizational guy.

Looks like i have to get work on my AAP. I really like what i see from this kid, and i'm glad to see he has opted to get his pro career started as quick as he could.

Good write up on Holmberg. Looks like he will be a control lefty. Innings eater and good command. He may need to develop a good off speed pitch or breaking ball.

Author really is impressed with his maturity and command of fastball (high 80's with potential to hit low 90's in 2-3 years). Good curve as well.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/Articles/Dis...spx?article=704

Maybe a 4/5 starter for 2012?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Good write up on Holmberg. Looks like he will be a control lefty. Innings eater and good command. He may need to develop a good off speed pitch or breaking ball.

Author really is impressed with his maturity and command of fastball (high 80's with potential to hit low 90's in 2-3 years). Good curve as well.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/Articles/Dis...spx?article=704

Maybe a 4/5 starter for 2012?

It’s very possible; he has the makeup of a kid who can move quickly through the system. Ultimately, I think Holmberg’s ceiling is that of a solid #3 starter.

Chris Zagyi has signed:

A Summit resident, righthanded pitcher Zagyi attended three high schools (Summit High, Seton Hall Prep, Oratory Prep) before graduating Oratory in 2007. He pitched at Division III Rowan during the 2008 college season, going 0-1 with a 5.64 earned run average in 22 innings.

Zagyi has since attended Middlesex County College but chose to focus on a pro baseball career rather than play at the junior college level. He signed a contract with the Chicago White Sox last Saturday.

http://www.nj.com/independentpress/index.s..._pitcher_b.html

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)

I'm liking this pick the more I read about Buch, with two legit plus pitches including a FB that can occasionally hit 95. He seems like the kind of guy that could really blossom in a relief role.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

Baines Jr. Signs.

The Sox have yet to announce their signings from last week’s amateur draft, but at least one player is headed to professional ball. That’s Harold Baines Jr., son of the Sox first base coach and one of the most storied hitters in franchise history. The younger Baines was selected in the 45th round in the amateur draft. Harold Jr. is a left-handed hitter from Division III McDaniel College, located about 30 miles northwest of Baltimore. Harold Jr., a 5-foot-10-inch, 175-pound outfielder, tied for the team lead with a .375 batting average with three home runs, 26 RBIs and a .418 on-base percentage. The younger Baines will report to Advanced Rookie-Bristol, where his hitting coach will be Jerry Hairston Sr.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6811383.story

5th rounder Kyle Bellamy:

"I am leaning toward signing; probably about 75% sure I will sign," said Bellamy. "If the package the White Sox offer me isn't good then I will have no problem going back to the University of Miami. I love it there. I love the teammates, coaches and atmosphere. It wouldn't be the worst thing if I went back to Miami."