Draft Signings

danman31

Looks like Thompson's about to be in the fold. :headbang

From the LA Times:

Baseball: Thompson set to sign with White Sox

Outfielder Trayce Thompson from Santa Margarita, a second-round draft choice of the Chicago White Sox, has reached agreement with the team and is scheduled to fly to Chicago this weekend and sign, UCLA baseball Coach John Savage confirmed Friday.

Thompson, who had signed with the Bruins, became a top prospect this spring with lots of hard work. He had said his dream was to play professionally, and that's apparently where he's headed.

-- Eric Sondheimer

QUOTE (CSF @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Looks like Thompson's about to be in the fold. :headbang

From the LA Times:

Yea expected it as much from my cuz giving me the info. I actually thought they would wait another week before announcing it, so I'm glad it's happening very quickly. Hopefully we can get this young man some at bats/experience in the minors soon. :)

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)
Great news, now throw lots of money at Goodwin. I promise that if the Sox sign Goodwin I'll never b**** about the Brandon Allen trade again (unless they trade Goodwin for a middle reliever).

I would really love to sign Goodwin as well, but it seems like we are down to Morgado and Jones from this draft class. I am still trying to be optimistic about Phegley, but the Williams/Thompson combo is exciting.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
I would really love to sign Goodwin as well, but it seems like we are down to Morgado and Jones from this draft class. I am still trying to be optimistic about Phegley, but the Williams/Thompson combo is exciting.

Seems like Goodwin is set on playing at UNC from everything I've read. As for Morgado, it sure seems like he's fixed whatever problem he had at Tennessee. It would be great to get him in the fold.

I'm hoping that's just a bad pic of young Trayce on FutureSox. I seem to remember his Pop being a handsome dude.

Gotta love the potential outfield improvement in the coming years with D2, Mitchell and now Thompson aboard.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I'm hoping that's just a bad pic of young Trayce on FutureSox. I seem to remember his Pop being a handsome dude.

Gotta love the potential outfield improvement in the coming years with D2, Mitchell and now Thompson aboard.

Three premium athletes with average to above average tools across the board. If we sign Goodwin, I'll be f***ing elated. Quite a jump from when Ryan Sweeney was our top OF prospect.

Edited by Jordan4life

MINNEAPOLIS - The White Sox signed second-round pick Trayce Thompson, an outfielder from Santa Margarita High School in Southern California.

Several Southern California sources confirmed Thompson will receive a $625,000 bonus.

Thompson was considered a tough sign before the draft because of his commitment to UCLA, but the Sox's scouts spent several hours with Thompson, his family and advisers.

Thompson's father Mychal was the first pick in the 1978 NBA draft, and two older brothers play basketball at Pepperdine and Washington State.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....k-thompson.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
So do we have a list of who is left unsigned at this point?

3 (102) – Bryan Morgado, LHP, Tennessee

7 (223) – Justin Jones, LHP, Oakdale Senior HS, CA

15 (463) – Dane Williams, RHP, Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL

17 (523) – Brian Goodwin, CF, Rocky Mount HS, NC

20 (613) – Nathan Reed, LHP, Pittsburgh (Think I read somewhere that he will not be signing)

25 (763) – Mike Strong, LHP, Iowa Western CC

36 (1093) – Ryan Crowley, LHP, Morton West HS, IL

43 (1303) – Tyler Williams, 3B, Chaparral HS, AZ

44 (1333) – Taylor Thompson, RHP, Auburn

46 (1393) – Grant Monroe, RHP, Northwest Florida State CC

47 (1423) – Jordan Yallen, OF, Golden Valley HS, CA

48 (1453) – Matthew Little, LHP, Bryan HS, TX

49 (1483) – Theron Geith, LHP, Scottsdale CC

50 (1513) – Kevin Chapman, LHP, Florida

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
3 (102) – Bryan Morgado, LHP, Tennessee

7 (223) – Justin Jones, LHP, Oakdale Senior HS, CA

15 (463) – Dane Williams, RHP, Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL

17 (523) – Brian Goodwin, CF, Rocky Mount HS, NC

20 (613) – Nathan Reed, LHP, Pittsburgh (Think I read somewhere that he will not be signing)

25 (763) – Mike Strong, LHP, Iowa Western CC

36 (1093) – Ryan Crowley, LHP, Morton West HS, IL

43 (1303) – Tyler Williams, 3B, Chaparral HS, AZ

44 (1333) – Taylor Thompson, RHP, Auburn

46 (1393) – Grant Monroe, RHP, Northwest Florida State CC

47 (1423) – Jordan Yallen, OF, Golden Valley HS, CA

48 (1453) – Matthew Little, LHP, Bryan HS, TX

49 (1483) – Theron Geith, LHP, Scottsdale CC

50 (1513) – Kevin Chapman, LHP, Florida

Thanks Dan. I am guessing none of those guys past Goodwin are very highly regarded, correct? So really we are down to 4, maybe 5 guys that matter, and we still have 2.5 weeks to go. Not bad at all.

Besides any more arms we can sign, I would like to see Tyler Williams get signed as well, the 3b out of AZ. Nothing known about him, but having any and all 3Bs signed in the org would help. I know we have Viciedo and Morel, but just to add depth, is all.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Besides any more arms we can sign, I would like to see Tyler Williams get signed as well, the 3b out of AZ. Nothing known about him, but having any and all 3Bs signed in the org would help. I know we have Viciedo and Morel, but just to add depth, is all.

I believe Tyler is another one of KW's kids.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
I believe Tyler is another one of KW's kids.

Yep, and he won't be signing.

If we sign Morgado and one of Jones/Williams/Goodwin, I'd be extremely happy calling it quits after that. Any more would just be fantastic, though highly unlikely.