Draft Signings

danman31

I never thought we had a chance at Goodwin. And with Danks, Mitchell and Thompson in the fold, he's not much of a loss. Morgado, Jones and Williams are the guys we really need to get inked (two of three would be more than acceptable). I obviously have no problem with the Peavy trade, but our pitching depth took quite a hit. We've got to replenish ASAP.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I never thought we had a chance at Goodwin. And with Danks, Mitchell and Thompson in the fold, he's not much of a loss. Morgado, Jones and Williams are the guys we really need to get inked (two of three would be more than acceptable). I obviously have no problem with the Peavy trade, but our pitching depth took quite a hit. We've got to replenish ASAP.

Our overall pitching depth didn't take much of a hit IMO. Peavy will be a big upgrade over Richard and DCarter is a long way off given the organization's comments about his changeup. Russell had improved but was still facing a numbers game given the Pena acquisition and the amount of good right-handed relievers in the upper levels of the system.

The real loss IMO was Poreda because it seriously weakens our lefty reliever depth. The closest lefty we have is probably Leesman in Kanny now. Justin Jones looks like he's committed, so it will really help if we can get Morgado to ink on that dotted line. We should be targeting young LHP both in next year's draft and also in trade over the offseason.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Our overall pitching depth didn't take much of a hit IMO. Peavy will be a big upgrade over Richard and DCarter is a long way off given the organization's comments about his changeup. Russell had improved but was still facing a numbers game given the Pena acquisition and the amount of good right-handed relievers in the upper levels of the system.

The real loss IMO was Poreda because it seriously weakens our lefty reliever depth. The closest lefty we have is probably Leesman in Kanny now. Justin Jones looks like he's committed, so it will really help if we can get Morgado to ink on that dotted line. We should be targeting young LHP both in next year's draft and also in trade over the offseason.

I agree with most of this. Still, you want to keep the pitching pipeline flowing at all times. And other than Hudson, there isn't much of anything to get even remotely excited about in the system right now. You never know when an unforeseen need could arise. And the way pitching is valued (or overvalued) it's important to have as much 'quality' pitching as possible. Even with guys like Carter a ways away from the Show, he was still a major reason we were able to acquire a proven ace like Peavy.

Draft update: The Sox are facing a Monday night deadline for signing supplemental third-round draft pick Bryan Morgado and seventh-round pick Justin Jones.

The Sox will receive a 2010 draft pick if Morgado isn't signed. Morgado could return to Tennessee for his junior season. Morgado was 4-2 with a 6.36 ERA with 75 strikeouts in 52 1/3 innings for the Volunteers but pitched exceptionally well in the Cape Cod League this summer.

Jones is expected to honor his commitment to the University of California.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3632279.story

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
The Royals just splashed out $2m on third rounder Will Myers, only a day after signing Chris Dwyer for a 4th round record $1.45m.

I saw that, what in the world? The Royals gave their 3rd rounder top 10 money and their 4th rounder top 20 money. Seems like they overpaid.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
I saw that, what in the world? The Royals gave their 3rd rounder top 10 money and their 4th rounder top 20 money. Seems like they overpaid.

They still haven't paid Crow yet either, but evidently there is no deadline to sign him. Myers was supposed to be a 1st round pick.

I got to tip my hat to the Royals though, they've added a s***load of talent the past two drafts but they need that talent to pan out.

The Nats do not sound optimistic.

Nationals president Stan Kasten acknowledged Saturday there is a "very real possibility" the team will not reach an agreement with No. 1 overall draft pick Stephen Strasburg despite offering him a record-breaking contract.

The Nationals face a deadline of midnight on Monday night to sign Strasburg, a right-handed pitcher from San Diego State whose fastball has been clocked at 102 mph.

He is represented by uber-agent Scott Boras, who has the top three players in this year's draft -- all of whom were unsigned as of Saturday afternoon.

"With 48 hours to go, I simply have no idea whether we're going to be able to reach a deal," Kasten said in an interview with The Associated Press.

After b****ing about Brothers for a while, I’ve really warmed up to Mitchell. To the point, where i expect great things from him. I really like Holmberg, think Phegley has potential, and there are some great kids like Shoemaker that we picked in the backend of the draft. It is, however, of some concern that of the four kids who we had expected to be tough signs, absolutely none of them are close to being signed. These four were expected to be major coups had we been able to get even one or two of the, but none of them? That’s bad, that’s really bad. And Morgado, after not drafting Brothers, trading Poreda, We need to get some legitimate lefty pitching in the organization by next year’s draft.

QUOTE (Tel Aviv @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
Idiots.

Sign Straussburg. Then sign Michael Phelps-looking freak of a HS catcher next year.

Then make a run at that lefty Cuban who just defected.

Thusly the moribund franchise is saved/rejuvenated.

I don't think that it's quite so easy to turn a team around.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
This draft is starting to look not so good...

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
Big time

We will recoup that pick next year if we don't sign Morgado so it's not really that big of a deal if we don't sign him although it would be nice.