Quentin as a temporary 2 hitter?

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
But doesnt Alexei take a lot of big wallop swings?

Just to consider an extreme transition: if AR wanted to become a slap hitter, I dont know if he'd be able. Other guys could make that transition easier. I could be wrong.

He's a slender guy that tries to generate power with the type of swing he's taking. That's AR.

Yeah, but that's because of poor pitch recognition (which he seems to be getting better at). That's something that falls under plate discipline. His actual swing and contact ability is fine.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
I dont know if it's subjective to say CQ has better bat control than Alexei. We have plenty of evidence that Alexei is a free swinger.

I just think AR is perfect for lower in the order. He'll see more fastballs, instead of depending on Pods being on base to get him fastballs. Based on Pods' OBP, that argument indicates Alexei will get a fastball heavy at-bat only when Pods or the 8 or 9 hitters happen to be on base. I say get him up there following the bashers.

So you think hitters see more fastball further down the order than in the 2-hole where there may be a man on base and a big hitter behind them? Also his k/bb ratio in the 2-hole has been very good. Also an OBP of .350 is just what we need.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
IMO, you really want a left handed bat in the 2-hole. Make him pull balls and move the runner. Thus, I think we should put A.J. there again. Because it's hard to watch Alexei attempting to hit it to the right side and fail.

AJ's OBP is just not good enough in the 2-hole, as well as his speed. AJ has shown he is much better lower in the order. As for your observations on on Alexei not hitting it to the right side, it seems a little subjective to me, is that really the only thing you judge a good 2-hole hitter on?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
AJ's OBP is just not good enough in the 2-hole, as well as his speed. AJ has shown he is much better lower in the order. As for your observations on on Alexei not hitting it to the right side, it seems a little subjective to me, is that really the only thing you judge a good 2-hole hitter on?

AJ's at his best when he's not hitting the ball to the right side.