The Best Trade that Never Happened

Steve9347

I know some out there might still be bitter over the whole Peavy situation. Well, he's out for the next 3 months, if not longer, his contract escalates, and we SHOULD get to watch Poreda get his first Major League start at some point soon.

Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don't make, and the poor Padres are really screwed given their ace who makes more than they can afford is out until mid-September at best.

:gosox2:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
I know some out there might still be bitter over the whole Peavy situation. Well, he's out for the next 3 months, if not longer, his contract escalates, and we SHOULD get to watch Poreda get his first Major League start at some point soon.

Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don't make, and the poor Padres are really screwed given their ace who makes more than they can afford is out until mid-September at best.

:gosox2:

We havent been very lucky on the field, but we lucked out here for now. He'll be available about the time the Cubs sale is complete, and he'll still end up there

Edited by klaus kinski

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
He could've hurt it during interleague play.

I looked it up and he's apparently had problems with his ankle since May 22. My bad.

Apparently the Sox DID dodge a bullet here.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
I would still make that trade.

I don't know if I would. With Contreras pitching so well and Richard pitching okay, I think the SP staff is decent...for now. I wanted the trade to happen when it was going down and was disappointed when it fell through. Hindsight being what it is, I feel that it's a good thing it didn't happen.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
DeWayne Wise for a box of athletic supporters... Oh, I thought you said trades that should have happened, my bad.

There you go...overvaluing our players again.....

/green???

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
He could've hurt it during interleague play.

He also could have hurt it while drilling a hole into the center of the earth. There’s nothing to guarantee that had he been a White Sox he wouldn’t be pitching effectively to this day. I love how Poreda’s debut went and Richard is really impressing me, but the trade remains one of KKW’s highlights for me even if it didn’t go all the way through.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
I don't know if I would. With Contreras pitching so well and Richard pitching okay, I think the SP staff is decent...for now. I wanted the trade to happen when it was going down and was disappointed when it fell through. Hindsight being what it is, I feel that it's a good thing it didn't happen.

Contreras won't be here next year and who knows how Richard will pitch in the long run. In the long-term, it would've probably benefited the Sox. However, I realize that the financial commitment to Peavy was enormous and risky. The fact that Peavy has been banged up significantly over the past 12 months certainly would've made me nervous.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
He also could have hurt it while drilling a hole into the center of the earth. There’s nothing to guarantee that had he been a White Sox he wouldn’t be pitching effectively to this day. I love how Poreda’s debut went and Richard is really impressing me, but the trade remains one of KKW’s highlights for me even if it didn’t go all the way through.

:lolhitting

This is definitely not the best trade that did not happen. Erstad in 02, Griffey in 05, and Soriano in 06 all would have sucked a big one.

Good points. Hell you can add the Otsuka deal (wound up tearing up his arm) the Buchholz deal, and in a way, the Bailey deal this past offseason. Though I gotta say that near Pence deal hurts. (forgot which player rejected it)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:56 AM)
Good points. Hell you can add the Otsuka deal (wound up tearing up his arm) the Buchholz deal, and in a way, the Bailey deal this past offseason. Though I gotta say that near Pence deal hurts. (forgot which player rejected it)

No player could have rejected the Pence deal - Purpura never let it happen. KW asked for Taveras, Buccholz, Hirsh, and Pence for Garland. Purpura was willing to do the first three, but wouldn't include Pence. He then traded the first three for Jennings.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:56 AM)

How come I've never heard of any of these proposed deals before? We were going to get Akinori Otsuka?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 05:03 AM)
No player could have rejected the Pence deal - Purpura never let it happen. KW asked for Taveras, Buccholz, Hirsh, and Pence for Garland. Purpura was willing to do the first three, but wouldn't include Pence. He then traded the first three for Jennings.

Both deals would have been fail on the Astros' part.