How do you feel about the Chicago Cubs?

Marky Mark

Your Cubbie Hatred/Love  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Cubs?

• I want them to lose more than I want the Sox to win
    • I want them to lose every single game, but Sox love comes first
    • I want them to lose every game, except when they're facing AL Central teams
    • I don't care whether they win or lose as long as they don't win a World Series
    • I don't care what they do
    • I want them to win games, but not the World Series
    • I like them more than the Sox
    • I want them to win a World Series, but then suck for the rest of eternity

I don't mind them.

My wife and a lot of my family and friends like them, so I go to Wrigley a couple times a year and I watch their games fairly regularly.

I like Wrigley OK. The seats are too small for my fat ass, but it's a fun enough time when I go there.

USCF beats its ass all over the place as far as comfort, sightlines, and amenities go.

I don't really enjoy the "rivalry" between the Sox and Cubs fans, as it seems to bring out the worst in both fanbases, but I just leave that alone. I used to go to the "crosstown classic" games when I could, but I got tired of it so I stay away now.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
I don't really enjoy the "rivalry" between the Sox and Cubs fans, as it seems to bring out the worst in both fanbases, but I just leave that alone. I used to go to the "crosstown classic" games when I could, but I got tired of it so I stay away now.

That. Nothing worse than being at the park when all of Chicago gets drunk and dukes it out in the stands.

Somewhere between options 2 and 3 depending on exactly what the Sox are doing. If we're in a legit race, then I'll root for the Cubs over the AL and ALC Rivals. If we're a ways back and needing help, then it cheers me up to have them suffer.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Also i dont see how option 2 can outnumber option 3

Our opponents in the ALC will win games no matter what. What better team to get those wins against than the Cubs? I don't feel like I'm cheering against the Sox if I want the Twins to beat the Cubs. It does affect the Sox, but not enough that I want to see those Cub fans' smiling faces. I also enjoy watching AL teams smash NL teams.

Edited by Markbilliards

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Our opponents in the ALC will win games no matter what. What better team to get those wins against than the Cubs? I don't feel like I'm cheering against the Sox if I want the Twins to beat the Cubs. It does affect the Sox, but not enough that I want to see those Cub fans' smiling faces. I also enjoy watching AL teams smash NL teams.

You will still feel this same way if it's tied at the end of the year between say Minnesota and Chicago..and it goes to a 163rd game?

The Cubs fans i know love it that the Sox fanbase lets the popularity thing get to them. You are offended by their sheer numbers and it overheats you.

What they dont like is when you take the fanbase out of it. Completely out of it. You just compare rings and they dont have any. But you empower them to do their thing in yr face when you make them the hated.

The Cubs fan should have the inferiority complex, b/c of the lack of rings. Yet sox fans hating cub nation (despite their lack of success) makes it seem like we have the pointless inferiority complex. It's playing right into their mystique narrative bulls***.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 06:30 AM)
So then why don't you?

What exactly do you mean? I’m going to infer that you’re talking about some of my posts on the Cubs forum. I’ll just say that I don’t really care about the Cubs over any other team. Yes, I like to see them lose, because they’re essentially a rival to the White Sox, but I don’t care that much, because they’re not even playing in the same league. So, while I can openly be really blasé about the Cubs, I can tell you that I hate the Twins, the Tigers, the Indians, and the Yankees. ETC. The Cubs don’t really impact, my day-to-day enjoyment of the game of baseball.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
You will still feel this same way if it's tied at the end of the year between say Minnesota and Chicago..and it goes to a 163rd game?

The Cubs fans i know love it that the Sox fanbase lets the popularity thing get to them. You are offended by their sheer numbers and it overheats you.

What they dont like is when you take the fanbase out of it. Completely out of it. You just compare rings and they dont have any. But you empower them to do their thing in yr face when you make them the hated.

The Cubs fan should have the inferiority complex, b/c of the lack of rings. Yet sox fans hating cub nation (despite their lack of success) makes it seem like we have the pointless inferiority complex. It's playing right into their mystique narrative bulls***.

I think the fanbase thing has always mystified me, but it's never "gotten" to me. I'd say 80% of my friends are Cubs fans. With that being said, I'd say 10% of those fans actually know what they're talking about when talking baseball. So I'll take my handful of friends that are Sox fans if it means that they know the game more than the Cubs fans that I know.

I have nothing against the Cubs as a team.

But I have a huge problem with the majority of their "fans".

They're usually bandwagon, baseball-stupid, and there's a lot of them. Too many too handle in fact. Those guys are easy to deal with because they're stupid, but they're annoying as hell.

What's worse is the people who think they know about baseball and try to argue with you in a correct way how the Cubs are somehow better than the Sox. For example, if you point out that the Cubs and Sox have similar pitching this season, the idiot Cubs fan would say that the AL Central is the worst division in baseball and that the NL Central is the best, so the Cubs have the better pitching. Oh really? Is that why the Brewers are leading the NLCentral? We all know how great they are after last weekend. Hmmm...makes a lot of sense. And they always fail to recognize that the AL makes the NL look like crap.

What really gets to me is that these people always have to bring up Sox vs. Cubs when I'm either not in the mood to talk about or don't want to bring up any tension. But they still do it and make themselves look like complete idiots.

This is why I can't stand the Cubs having any success in the postseason. In a way, their fans make me wish bad upon the team when I can really care less about them. I don't care how many fratboys they draw from UIC or Loyola or how many tourists they got from Iowa. I don't care how many wins they have against the Pirates. Their fans bring all of that crap up and it just angers me because they're such bad points of argument. As long as the Cubs never win a World Series, I'll be fine. I can stand Cubs fans during the regular season, but the postseason is another story.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)

Good point.

I'm not sure what emotion would be stronger for me,

My joy of the Sox winning a world series

Or my agony of the Cubs winning a world series.

To be honest, I want them to lose every game. I hate to admit that but even when I have tried to convince myself that I don't care about them I still cheer against them. I cant help it and I wish I wasn't that way cause I think its a childish and stupid way to be a fan of the Sox.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Sometimes I wonder if I hate the fans more than the team. There are players that I actually like (Derrek Lee, Ramirez) but its the clueless fans that I have a problem with.

I hate their fans a lot more, but its easy to dislike Soriano and Zambrano

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I hate their fans a lot more, but its easy to dislike Soriano and Zambrano

They have a lot of thoroughly unlikeable personalities on that team - add Bradley, Freel and Ramirez to your list.

But I do like D-Lee, always have. And I actually like Theriot as well.

I chose that I don't care, but I do enjoy laughing at their ineptitude so I really don't want them to win a World Series. I hate the same Cubs fans you guys do, but in all honesty, Sox fans perpetuate it by taking the bait a lot of times. I shrug it off. You can't get to me with that s***. Last year my brother (a Blue Line operator) was getting taunted by Cubs fans at work after the Sox got swept, the next weekend as we all know the Sox swept and he was like "oh, you guys are awfully quiet now? What happened? You were talking mad s*** last week, are you ok? Something wrong?"

Growing up, I liked both the Cubs and the Sox. When I got old enough, which was the early 90s, I chose the Sox.

I really don't care...but in a weird self-aggrandizing sort of way, I would love to see the Cubs win a WS...just so that mystique goes away. And to see what all those fans would do without the "Wait 'til Next Year" shirts being sold outside the Urinal.

And then I snap back and remember I don't really care one way or another what the North Side team does.