Omogrosso promoted to Charlotte...

JPN366

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Making room for Huddy in B-Ham?

Most likely Matt Long takes his rotation spot and Wander Perez or Hector Santiago comes up from W-S. The Barons have no lefties in the rotation or pen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
Do you think he will be the next minor league starter recalled now that Poreda is here (if needed)?

He's got wicked stuff, he could be a useful swingman or a deadly reliever. Definitely.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
I am going to say Jacob Rasner. Hudson doesn't need to be rushed, so I think he should stay in high A for a few more starts.

Rasner has a WHIP of 1.51, no need to push him up. He's been doing pretty well considering, though he has only allowed 2 HRs this year. That's damn impressive.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Do you know that for sure?

The article linked said he will start in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Making room for Huddy in B-Ham?

Been following DHudson pretty closely each start and his progress is impressive. But I don't know jack about him other than the more than one year old reports before last year's draft. Who can tell me how this guy projects and stacks up within our system? What's his ceiling, comparable current MLBer?

Would you say that he's possibly our best pitching prospect in the system, if Poreda sticks with the big club? I know that many are high on Upchurch - does he have the highest ceiling, though a bigger unknown as he's just getting into pro-ball?

I wish we had a JPN366 equivalent in Winston-Salem. I always appreciate the direct observations he provides from B'Ham.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Rasner has a WHIP of 1.51, no need to push him up. He's been doing pretty well considering, though he has only allowed 2 HRs this year. That's damn impressive.

The article linked said he will start in the bullpen.

I think you might be looking at last year's stats for the WHIP. His WHIP this year is actually sub-1.00: 50.2 innings, 38 hits, 10 BBs and 45 Ks. He's having a great year and is only 22, so he isn't exactly old. He could be a future back-end starter or middle reliever.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Been following DHudson pretty closely each start and his progress is impressive. But I don't know jack about him other than the more than one year old reports before last year's draft. Who can tell me how this guy projects and stacks up within our system? What's his ceiling, comparable current MLBer?

Would you say that he's possibly our best pitching prospect in the system, if Poreda sticks with the big club? I know that many are high on Upchurch - does he have the highest ceiling, though a bigger unknown as he's just getting into pro-ball?

I wish we had a JPN366 equivalent in Winston-Salem. I always appreciate the direct observations he provides from B'Ham.

E-mail Ed Collari, the announcer for Winston-Salem. He's very friendly and will answer questions for people. He passes on a lot of info to me.

[email protected]

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
I think you might be looking at last year's stats for the WHIP. His WHIP this year is actually sub-1.00: 50.2 innings, 38 hits, 10 BBs and 45 Ks. He's having a great year and is only 22, so he isn't exactly old. He could be a future back-end starter or middle reliever.

Haha good call, for some reason his baseball cube didn't have his 09 stats up. Still I don't think he needs to be promoted as a starter. He's been a reliever most of the year and while his recent starts have been good, that might be asking a bit much a bit too quickly.

BTW, self pimpage, but I thought this was interesting and put it in my FutureSox article.

After his 7th start of the season on May 13, Omogrosso had a 1.98 ERA in 41 innings. Since then he has a 7.03 ERA in 32 innings over his last 6 starts. He has given up 5 or more runs in four of those starts, though he did not allow an earned run in the other two starts during that span. Brian was still striking out batters during his recent slump (27 in those 32 innings), but walked 24. This is a contrast after walking just 16 in his first 41 innings.

QUOTE (Adele_H @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Those who've seen him pitch...

does Omogrosso throw a legitimate 99 mph or is he a typical Sox prospect who loses 3+ MPH on a plane ride to Chicago upon promotion?

I haven't ever seen him touted as throwing 99MPH but he does throw into the mid 90's. As a reliever I think you'll see him sit in the 94-97MPH range. As a starter he pitches in the 93-95 MPH range. Projects much better as a reliever.