Jhonny Nunez ready for AAA?

chisoxfan09

JP, how good has Jhonny been down in Bham? I have been following him as well via milb.com and his stats are very good this year. He has a 44/18 rate in K's to BB's in 36 innings pitched with a WHIP of 1.42. Not bad. I checked his farm stats with the Yanks prior to coming over in the Swisher trade and man he stunk it up when starting. He seems far more comfortable in the pen role. Even has two saves. Most upside links say he relies mostly on the fastball. Again JP any observations on whether he has seconday stuff? He is young (22/23) so maybe another year in AA/AAA and he will be ready for a try in the bigs late next year? I think now we have a surplus of power lefties in the pen. Maybe he could be a valueable chip next year? Thoughts

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
JP, how good has Jhonny been down in Bham? I have been fowlooing him as well via milb.com and his stats are very good this year. He has a 44/18 rate in K's to BB's in 36 innings pitched with a WHIP of 1.42. Not bad. I checked his farm stats with the Yanks prior to coming over in the Swisher trade and man he stunk it up when starting. He seems far more comfortable in the pen role. Even has two saves. Most upside links say he relies mostly on the fastball. Again JP any observations on whether he has seconday stuff? He is young (22/23) so maybe another year in AA/AAA and he will be ready for a try in the bigs late next year? I think now we have a surplus of power lefties in the pen. Maybe he could be a valueable chip next year? Thoughts

He throws some kind of slider, I think it moves away from righties and in on lefties. He has a hard sinker that pops the glove to go with his fastball. I'd say his long term outlook is more of a 6th inning/7th inning guy, or a 2 to 3 inning reliever. I think he definitely needs to establish a role before he gets a serious look in the bigs. He should stay here the rest of the year, and start 2010 in Charlotte. He's never seemed all that impressive to me, so I wouldn't hope for much. But, he could have a future as a middle reliever. If he doesn't flop, he could vie for a full time roster spot in 2011.

He throws some kind of slider, I think it moves away from righties and in on lefties. He has a hard sinker that pops the glove to go with his fastball. I'd say his long term outlook is more of a 6th inning/7th inning guy, or a 2 to 3 inning reliever. I think he definitely needs to establish a role before he gets a serious look in the bigs. He should stay here the rest of the year, and start 2010 in Charlotte. He's never seemed all that impressive to me, so I wouldn't hope for much. But, he could have a future as a middle reliever. If he doesn't flop, he could vie for a full time roster spot in 2011.

Thanx, I look at the box scores quite a bit and see him putting up goose eggs more often than not with a little more than a K per inning plus I read in a couple of places he had upside. Though meaybe he benefits from the park in BHam being pitcher friendly as well. If he moves up to AAA and does well there maybe he can be a good trade chip at next year's trade deadline. I am gonna start looking at who is up and coming in A/High A ball and ready to move in to BHam next year. Would appreciate your feedback. Man what a team this year. They are starting to break it up now with the callups and Ommogrosso going to AAA. But it has been a good core the first half.

Nunez was pretty much lights out last night. JP did you see the game? He picked up the win in relief of Harrell. 2.2 inning of 1 hit ball and 6 K's. I wonder if he is for real and the Sox can call him up next year after maybe the rest of the year in AAA ball. I for one feel if he pitches the next 5 weeks at BHam the way he has been he will be ready for Charlotte. He could be the middle reliever (7th/8th innings) for the Sox sometime next year. Good to have a good number of hard throwing righties to work with a various levels. Maybe his confidence has changed for the better with this change of scenery. I wonder if he is in line to be looked at as a starter again? His WHIP is excellent based on his K/BB rate. I am starting to think he may be a diamond in the rough who is getting better and better. JP how high has his fastball gotten on the speedmeter?

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
You people really want to neuter the championship-bound Barons, huh? How much talent must we bring to direction-less Charlotte? ;)

Well... Birmingham's got a playoff slot wrapped up. Maybe Charlotte could win the 2nd half in the IL and get in too.

I think it would be great to promote the whole Barons team and see if they could make the playoffs at two different levels (AA and AAA) this year. :D

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)
Nunez was pretty much lights out last night. JP did you see the game? He picked up the win in relief of Harrell. 2.2 inning of 1 hit ball and 6 K's. I wonder if he is for real and the Sox can call him up next year after maybe the rest of the year in AAA ball. I for one feel if he pitches the next 5 weeks at BHam the way he has been he will be ready for Charlotte. He could be the middle reliever (7th/8th innings) for the Sox sometime next year. Good to have a good number of hard throwing righties to work with a various levels. Maybe his confidence has changed for the better with this change of scenery. I wonder if he is in line to be looked at as a starter again? His WHIP is excellent based on his K/BB rate. I am starting to think he may be a diamond in the rough who is getting better and better. JP how high has his fastball gotten on the speedmeter?

Yes, I was there. His fastball was topping out at 96.

Yes, I was there. His fastball was topping out at 96.

Does he have good location? I really hope based on your first comment about his slider down and away and that potentially his FB has heavy sink this is a very good arsenal to take to AAA at some point. The sinker if it is heavy will be excellent at the Cell and at Charlotte (Both hitter friendly). Wonder if he has any offspeed stuff or how is his curve? Sorry just excited about Nunez since he came over. I know you are not too high on him but he has had a great year in rellief. I saw a video on Youtube of him working the count on Matt Laporta and it was only from a high up behind home plate angle. His delivery is a bit awkward.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 01:31 AM)
Well... Birmingham's got a playoff slot wrapped up. Maybe Charlotte could win the 2nd half in the IL and get in too.

I think it would be great to promote the whole Barons team and see if they could make the playoffs at two different levels (AA and AAA) this year. :D

The IL doesn't have half-season titles. The Knights will have to overcome their first half deficit.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
Does he have good location? I really hope based on your first comment about his slider down and away and that potentially his FB has heavy sink this is a very good arsenal to take to AAA at some point. The sinker if it is heavy will be excellent at the Cell and at Charlotte (Both hitter friendly). Wonder if he has any offspeed stuff or how is his curve? Sorry just excited about Nunez since he came over. I know you are not too high on him but he has had a great year in rellief. I saw a video on Youtube of him working the count on Matt Laporta and it was only from a high up behind home plate angle. His delivery is a bit awkward.

It's not that I don't like him, he just doesn't wow me, but that really doesn't matter. It's all about the numbers. Location wise, my point of view is from the first base side, so I can really only tell up and down. I know he keeps the ball down though because I haven't seen him get shelled. I think his only pitches are the fastball, sinker and slider. He certainly earned that win last night as he pitched excellently. He kept the Barons in the game and gave them the opportunity to win it in the 9th.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
It's not that I don't like him, he just doesn't wow me, but that really doesn't matter. It's all about the numbers. Location wise, my point of view is from the first base side, so I can really only tell up and down. I know he keeps the ball down though because I haven't seen him get shelled. I think his only pitches are the fastball, sinker and slider. He certainly earned that win last night as he pitched excellently. He kept the Barons in the game and gave them the opportunity to win it in the 9th.

Has his delivery changed much? When I saw him pitch down in Spring Training in a minor league game he really had a delivery reminiscent of Dotel. I liked his velocity but he didn't have much movement the day I saw him and couldn't control anything.

That said he definately has the velocity you can't teach.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Has his delivery changed much? When I saw him pitch down in Spring Training in a minor league game he really had a delivery reminiscent of Dotel. I liked his velocity but he didn't have much movement the day I saw him and couldn't control anything.

That said he definately has the velocity you can't teach.

It's not exactly side arm, slightly three quarter.