6/18 Sox @ Cubs 1:20 CSN

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
Did yesterday not happen?

Why would you assume we get swept by the Dodgers (responding to the post you responded to)....?

The White Sox have been getting REALLY good starting pitching of late, we've been in most games, and there's not any reason to think with the crazy way this season has gone that we WON'T win two out of three. The Dodgers don't have any competition in the NL West, they're not THAT good.

If we're going to look back at any stretch of this season, it's the 4-8 homestand as well as going 2-3 against the Tigers when it coulda/shoulda/woulda been 3-2 or even 4-1 in our favor.

If our starting pitching continues to do this well, we could easily sweep the Reds. Or we could be the same team that was wiped out by the A's, Royals, Rangers and Blue Jays at different times this season.

The Cubs were just more DESPERATE to win this game...usually, playing that way leads to losses, but they just wanted it more in the end. Once again, this White Sox team doesn't really have any sort of identity yet, and we're 40% of the way through the season.

Edited by caulfield12

That 1st error given to Getz was on Ramirez. He pu**ed out of the way of Fontenot sliding into him and at the same time tried to bare-hand the thing. The next error in the 8th was a rocket that short-hopped him- that's a super tough play, if you've ever played at any level.

This Reds series will be tough with Cueto, Harang, and Arroyo (in no order), but we should win 2 with how bad the NL is and how we've played on the road.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Did you watch the game? He made an amazing play to save a run in I forget which inning (4th maybe?). The first error he made should have have been on Alexei. He just let the ball flip on the transition go right past him. The 8th inning error was f***ing terrible though.

Two wrongs and one right doesn't make him excused.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
this new over-conservative soxtalk is for the birds

I'm the biggest Cubs hater on this site, and even I am shocked at some of the comments after this loss. My only fear is that this goes on to spark the Cubs and they never look back.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
That 1st error given to Getz was on Ramirez. He pu**ed out of the way of Fontenot sliding into him and at the same time tried to bare-hand the thing. The next error in the 8th was a rocket that short-hopped him- that's a super tough play, if you've ever played at any level.

This Reds series will be tough with Cueto, Harang, and Arroyo (in no order), but we should win 2 with how bad the NL is and how we've played on the road.

That was supposed to be a double play.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Two wrongs and one right doesn't make him excused.

I'll go one wrong, that was an Alexei error, and it was a bad play in the 8th, but Linebrink was throwing BP

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
The Cubs were just more DESPERATE to win this game...usually, playing that way leads to losses, but they just wanted it more in the end. Once again, this White Sox team doesn't really have any sort of identity yet, and we're 40% of the way through the season.

Wanted it more? No, Ozzie made the mistake of pitching a struggling pitcher against the heart of their order (and their only good hitters).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm the biggest Cubs hater on this site, and even I am shocked at some of the comments after this loss. My only fear is that this goes on to spark the Cubs and they never look back.

Soriano still looks bad (yes he got the gw hit, but it has to be more consistent), and he's had some singles, but it's not a good sign that Bradley whiffed against terrible Linebrink. Lee's been hot.

They face Cliff Lee tomorrow who's pitched well lately, that will be a good test to see how the turnaround is going

Seriously, I raelize Ozzie made some bad calls, but you do realize the beloved savior all of you guys wanted to put in, Thornton, also failed to get the job done. His job was more difficult than Linebrinks but he too failed.

Bottom line you win as a team and lose as a team and the Sox didn't execute on bit. I personally don't care, the club isn't going anywhere and I'm watching games to see how the future of the organization does. I hope we win, but I hope its because of our young guys developing and while Getz had a less than stellar defensive game thats okay because he's starting to hit and figure stuff out and defensively he is darn good.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
That was supposed to be a double play.

Yeah, but instead he knocked it down on a bad hop, flipped it to Ramirez, and he pu**ed out and at the same time tried to bare-hand the ball. Sorry Alexei, but between your 1 bad throw to 1st for every game and your play today, your defense has been average.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
He also booted two grounders right at him.

The second one looked like a bad hop, but you have to get that ball. If that out is made, the bad 8th might have never happened.

And that's why Linebrink is paid millions of dollars...to pitch over those types of errors, the contract given to him was for one of the best set-up men in baseball, even with his 2.25 ERA after today, he hasn't pitched as if he belongs to be in that category any longer.

Unfortunately for KW, he's going to be paid that way for the next 2 1/2 seasons, whether we like it or not...and probably used in that role until he has 2-3 more disasters and has to be replaced by Dotel.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Wanted it more? No, Ozzie made the mistake of pitching a struggling pitcher against the heart of their order (and their only good hitters).

Frankly ANY fastball pitcher we were going to put out there may have been a wrong choice. I wouldnt have minded Poreda's sinker in that situation. As we can see by Thornton's results, the Cubs just react well to hard stuff, and they were bound to get some hits at home with the wind blowing out.

We dominated them on their home turf for 17 innings, I like it alot. I think we start to heat up a bit here, especially with the bottom of the order looking so sexy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Seriously, I raelize Ozzie made some bad calls, but you do realize the beloved savior all of you guys wanted to put in, Thornton, also failed to get the job done. His job was more difficult than Linebrinks but he too failed.

Bottom line you win as a team and lose as a team and the Sox didn't execute on bit. I personally don't care, the club isn't going anywhere and I'm watching games to see how the future of the organization does. I hope we win, but I hope its because of our young guys developing and while Getz had a less than stellar defensive game thats okay because he's starting to hit and figure stuff out and defensively he is darn good.

Matty still got 3 outs, didn't he? He shouldn't even have been in the 9th, if Ozzie was doing his job.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Yeah, but instead he knocked it down on a bad hop, flipped it to Ramirez, and he pu**ed out and at the same time tried to bare-hand the ball. Sorry Alexei, but between your 1 bad throw to 1st for every game and your play today, your defense has been average.

Average defense is pretty good for a rookie SS, he hasnt even had a half season of pro ball at the position.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)

Nope. They get Cliff Lee tomorrow. He should shut them down.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Frankly ANY fastball pitcher we were going to put out there may have been a wrong choice. I wouldnt have minded Poreda's sinker in that situation. As we can see by Thornton's results, the Cubs just react well to hard stuff, and they were bound to get some hits at home with the wind blowing out.

We dominated them on their home turf for 17 innings, I like it alot. I think we start to heat up a bit here, especially with the bottom of the order looking so sexy.

Yeah, that's the biggest shame of this loss...we really had put together some good games in a row, with BA/Getz/Beckham having good at bats. We need to get Konerko and Dye going again.