6/18 Sox @ Cubs 1:20 CSN

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
The funny thing is if you told me before series we'd split, I would have been "perfect, don't tell me any more info, I'm happy". Just disappointing how close we were to winning.

Eh, we gifted one for them at home, it happens, lets get the series against them in our park and move on. Like I said, we dominated them for 17 innings at a park that is VERY tough for the visiting team. This makes me believe we are getting hot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Some people on here are a bunch of pansies when it comes to injuries (no offense t'bolt, you know I like your style of posting). He has a calf strain...nothing major. With 3 more games at an NL park, you can't just sit a player, as that will destroy your bench. Also, with Thome and CQ out, we need any power we can get. If we're only going to get 15 homers out of our 1st baseman this year (due to thumb), we need some people to pick up their power production.

You’re right; I think we’re probably better for it if we let Dye play through this thing. I’m just a bit worried, he seems to be testing the calf out there and it’s not responding well.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
I’m sorry guys, but when you’re up 5-1 at Wrigley with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th, and still lose. There’s no moral victory their, for me.

We heard you, f*** Ozzie he's terrible, you're pissed. We got it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm sorry guys, but when you're up 5-1 at Wrigley with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th, and still lose. There's no moral victory their, for me.

I'll be honest, my night is completely ruined because of this. Also, it's going to be hard to handle it if this is the spark the Cubs needed. Soriano has like 20 hits this year, and 10 of those have been game winners.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Eh, we gifted one for them at home, it happens, lets get the series against them in our park and move on. Like I said, we dominated them for 17 innings at a park that is VERY tough for the visiting team. This makes me believe we are getting hot.

Who would have thought 2 weeks ago that we'd rather have BA, Getz, and Beckham up with RISP than having Konerko or Dye up? That's not an insult to the veterans, but rather an impressive statement to our young guys. It's so exciting getting to watch Beckham grow as a player.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
We heard you, f*** Ozzie he's terrible, you're pissed. We got it.

What's your rational here, Rock? Why should we be talking down what happened here today, because we're optimists? I love how the kids played today, but we lost a game we should have won. Why isn't the natural reaction disappointment?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
I'll be honest, my night is completely ruined because of this. Also, it's going to be hard to handle it if this is the spark the Cubs needed. Soriano has like 20 hits this year, and 10 of those have been game winners.

AS long as they continue to be the same team, and especially play the AL, they will still lose. They have just been DOMINATED by the Twins and now us, Cle will take the series as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Can we just give Linebrink the nickname of "What If" now?

That was my thought when I saw the line score. Linebrink gives up two homers and blows the game. How many times have we had a relief pitcher, and this includes Linebrink, giving up the long ball? Floyd did a super job and this is how the bullpen rewards him

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
What’s your rational here, Rock? Why should we be talking down what happened here today, because we’re optimists? I love how the kids played today, but we lost a game we should have won. Why isn’t the natural reaction disappointed?

Because this team is going to lose 80 games a year on average and every single one elicits an extreme reaction out of folks on here blaming whichever person they feel is at fault in their own minds. Games like this happen many times a year, and the Cubs win a TON of these at home. It happens, we played well, got a split at Wrigley, move on.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
AS long as they continue to be the same team, and especially play the AL, they will still lose. They have just been DOMINATED by the Twins and now us, Cle will take the series as well.

they might have to suspend the game due to DeRosa's 2 hour long standing ovation. Sucks that they miss Verlander next week.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
That was my thought when I saw the line score. Linebrink gives up two homers and blows the game. How many times have we had a relief pitcher, and this includes Linebrink, giving up the long ball? Floyd did a super job and this is how the bullpen rewards him

It's going to happen with Dotel/Linebrink/Thornton. All three of them throw a ton of high fastballs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
they might have to suspend the game due to DeRosa's 2 hour long standing ovation. Sucks that they miss Verlander next week.

Haha, true. That Detroit offense is going to tear their pitching up though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Because this team is going to lose 80 games a year on average and every single one elicits an extreme reaction out of folks on here blaming whichever person they feel is at fault in their own minds. Games like this happen many times a year, and the Cubs win a TON of these at home. It happens, we played well, got a split at Wrigley, move on.

No doubt, but we’re all fans of this team. I don’t find it odd to be briefly crushed by a loss like this. I just find it weird that we immediately jump to the defense of the team here. What’s the defense for losing a game we absolutely should have won? I’m not even sure if there is one. All I know is that we have to go out and play another one of these things tomorrow.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)

My feeling too. I'm not overly optomistic about this years team, but they're in a crappy division so they'll stick around this year, which is fine because they are losing payroll and the young guys are hitting and Danks and Floyd are pitching MUCH better lately.

I'm not taking any moral victories from this game, but they lost it when they were in a dominant position to win, it sucks, but they have 2/3 of a season left and outside of the pen they are playing much better lately. Again, if the Cubs when the division it won't be beacuse of this game, it will be because they actually play at a better level then they have been, they've had a few of these games already this year and it wasn't a magical turnaround yet.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
No doubt, but we’re all fans of this team. I don’t find it odd to be briefly crushed by a loss like this. I just find it weird that we immediately jump to the defense of the team here. What’s the defense for losing a game we absolutely should have won? I’m not even sure if there is one. All I know is that we have to go out and play another one of these things tomorrow.

Being upset about the team losing and posting irrationally how terrible Ozzie is are two different things. The guy made several good calls this entire series and one pitcher messes up and he's terrible.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
My feeling too. I'm not overly optomistic about this years team, but they're in a crappy division so they'll stick around this year, which is fine because they are losing payroll and the young guys are hitting and Danks and Floyd are pitching MUCH better lately.

I'm not taking any moral victories from this game, but they lost it when they were in a dominant position to win, it sucks, but they have 2/3 of a season left and outside of the pen they are playing much better lately. Again, if the Cubs when the division it won't be beacuse of this game, it will be because they actually play at a better level then they have been, they've had a few of these games already this year and it wasn't a magical turnaround yet.

I fully expect the Cubs to still win their division, its just that terrible and their talent level is so much higher than every other team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
I fully expect the Cubs to still win their division, its just that terrible and their talent level is so much higher than every other team.

Yep, their starting 5 is just so much better than Milwaukee's. When the wind starts blowing out, these guys will remember how to hit again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Yep, their starting 5 is just so much better than Milwaukee's. When the wind starts blowing out, these guys will remember how to hit again.

Especially when Aramis comes back. He's good for at least 3-5 walk offs.