Promotions

JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
He seems to have the poise to do it.

It is kind of nice to have your catcher, be your teams field leader. Do they pick captains in the minor leagues? I also like how we’re going to be putting a lot of these kids in to a playoff position. It must be very exciting to be part of the Dash, get called up a level, and know that you’re expected to contribute to one of the top two teams of the entire AA.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
It is kind of nice to have your catcher, be your teams field leader. Do they pick captains in the minor leagues? I also like how we’re going to be putting a lot of these kids in to a playoff position. It must be very exciting to be part of the Dash, get called up a level, and know that you’re expected to contribute to one of the top two teams of the entire AA.

They may, but I'm not sure who might be the Barons captain.

Allen must be in the Sox plans at some point this year.

With Konerko taking pitiful swing since his wrist flared up, would Allen be that much of a downgrade? Paulie needs some time off -- and Josh Fields can't hit a ML fastball (consistently).

I'd love for Brandon Allen to pull a Ryan Howard on us once promoted to the bigs. :headbang

I'm really really excited to see what Allen does in AAA and what Huddy does in AA. I fell in love with Hudson this spring (loved his delivery and the total package of pitches) and Allen is really becoming a pretty damn good hitter.

Jason, what's Hudson's stuff like? and does Allen have the batspeed and bat-control to handle ML pitching?

QUOTE (Adele_H @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
With Konerko taking pitiful swing since his wrist flared up, would Allen be that much of a downgrade? Paulie needs some time off -- and Josh Fields can't hit a ML fastball (consistently).

Dude, Konerko is 5-17 since he came back. Relax.

Ahhh! This is a much happier place to be than PHT right now. The water is cool and refreshing.

My guy, Daniel Hudson promoted again after only 8 starts at WS. Hope we're not rushing the guy.

I heard back from Dash announcer Ed Collari who I emailed for observations of Huddy (thanks JPN!), and he expressed the following.

* Very impressed with the kid personally and professionally. Loves his mound presence and makeup. Good listener and coachable.

* Feels he can become a solid 2 or 3 starter at MLB level

* Plus slider, good fastball, good change.

* Would rank him at or near top among pitching prospects in the org. Also likes Omogrosso, and says to keep an eye on Shirek.

Allen headed to Charlotte also, t'will be interesting to see if the power numbers rebound and the patience remains. Also Kuhn, Edwards, and Loman to WS from Kanny.

The future is getting here very quickly. I lot of the 2010-2012 projected lineups swimming in my head are being moved up a notch or two. It's fun to have a real farm system again!

Dude, Konerko is 5-17 since he came back. Relax.

did you watch him (try to) drive the ball lately?

Konerko has always been a mechanically-high-maintanence & moody/streaky guy. Going back to 2nd half of 2007, he's just generally not been as explosive a power hitter despite playing in HR heaven. These types of wrist injuries are a b****, I agree, but after a while it's just an excuse for being jammed by get-me-over fastballs Paulie used to send 450 feet into LF frozen-rope style.

is that if Sox are really that high on B-Allen, if he's that much more versatile than Konerko.... might want to start the transition process or at the very least a DL stint.

I think Allen has the batspeed to make it and as a hitter he's gotten so much better the past couple seasons. He's a guy that really keeps getting better. When drafted he was a raw guy with upside and than for a while he floudnered and I had given up on him and than bam, he made major strides the past couple years and is now probably the best off the radar 1st base prospect in baseball and one of the top 8 first base prospects in the game. I don't know if he's ready yet, but I have no problem moving two of Dye/Thome/Konerko this season and giving Allen a shot. Very good approach at the plate, should hit for enough power (not 40HR power though, imo).

This comparison is going to sound really assinine, but Huddy reminds me a lot of Roy Halladay. I'm not necessarily saying pure stuff wise or anything like that but they have similar arm actions and builds and I'm probably nuts in this comparison. But Huddy has a good fastball (90-94) that gets nice movement and what looks like a very solid slider/split combo and a developing changeup.

JPN can probably give a better scouting report as I've seen him pitch much less than he has.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
Allen ...is now probably the best off the radar 1st base prospect in baseball and one of the top 8 first base prospects in the game.

Huddy reminds me a lot of Roy Halladay.

You know how to cheer a guy up on a day like today.

First off, I was the first one who got on the Huddy bandwagon. Just wanted to clear it up :)

Also, with Allen, I think it's a legit possibility we see PK go on the DL sometime within in the next 2 weeks (depending on he and the team are doing) and Allen getting called up (if he's hitting at AAA, I wouldn't be surprised to see him mash while playing in Charlotte's stadium).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
First off, I was the first one who got on the Huddy bandwagon. Just wanted to clear it up :)

Also, with Allen, I think it's a legit possibility we see PK go on the DL sometime within in the next 2 weeks (depending on he and the team are doing) and Allen getting called up (if he's hitting at AAA, I wouldn't be surprised to see him mash while playing in Charlotte's stadium).

Lol, there was a Huddy following the moment he was drafted, so dont pat yourself on the back too hard :lolhitting

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
JPN can probably give a better scouting report as I've seen him pitch much less than he has.

Haven't seen him yet, his first start I'll see is probably Saturday.

Considering how he reacted to his promotion last year, and in a hitter friendly park, yeah, he'll mash in Charlotte.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
Lol, there was a Huddy following the moment he was drafted, so dont pat yourself on the back too hard :lolhitting

Yeah, I know... I was one of the people who started it. After I saw his scouting video, I expressed how much I liked the pick.

So... are you finally on the Allen bandwagon now? ;)

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
So... are you finally on the Allen bandwagon now? ;)

Oh, I've been a fan of him for a while... I just always questioned how close to ready he truly was. And it looks like he was pretty close.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
Infielder Luis Sierra and RHP Murillo Gouvea were promoted to Kanny to take the last two open roster spots. There's still one open in W-S, but B'ham and Charlotte are full up now.

Havent heard of Sierra but didnt Gouvea have a nice year last year at whatever level he was at? His name seems familiar

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
Haven't seen him yet, his first start I'll see is probably Saturday.

Duh, I'm a little retarded. Collari seemed to have a similar scouting report to what I had seen but gave better info as to the type of guy Hudson is.