Linebrink

WCSox

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
How can you not blame him?

Yes, none of those runs were earned. But he gave up two homers to two guys who haven't hit more than 10 since the ASB of 2008.

I'm not saying he's not partially at fault -- but to completely ignore Getz *critical* error in a *critical* situation is ridiculous. It's typical "fan in the moment" scapegoat-ism -- to force create a word.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getz could have ended that situation before it got ugly. The umpire making the correct call would have ended the situation before it got ugly. I forgive him for the Lee bomb, when that many outs are taken from you something often gives. But he can't come back and serve up a fastball for Soto on the next pitch. He was getting very predictable. He needed to either throw a breaking pitch on the first pitch or at least change the eye level. Everyone knew a low fastball was coming, so he had no margin for error on that pitch. And he missed his spot by a lot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
Getz could have ended that situation before it got ugly. The umpire making the correct call would have ended the situation before it got ugly. I forgive him for the Lee bomb, when that many outs are taken from you something often gives. But he can't come back and serve up a fastball for Soto on the next pitch. He was getting very predictable. He needed to either throw a breaking pitch on the first pitch or at least change the eye level. Everyone knew a low fastball was coming, so he had no margin for error on that pitch. And he missed his spot by a lot.

Yet and still - it was a tie game, not a loss. A LOT happened to cause this -- Linebrink was merely 1 piece of a big puzzle those last two innings.

I was at one of the Rooftop parties across from Wrigley -- the moment the Cubs tied it, I left and started driving home because I knew it was over...the momentum shift was ridiculous and sudden, the worst kind.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Apparently Linebrink is today's Soxtalk ™ scapegoat, not the guy who actually caused it all -- Chris Getz.

Typical Soxtalk is all I'll say.

Yes, it's ALL Linebrink's fault -- Getz didn't have anything to do with it...nothing at all.

You know why Errors are called Errors cause they are a part of the f***ing game. My god you people are ridiculous. They didn't execute, cased closed. How about we blame Pujols for games the Cards lose because he has an 0fer or doesn't deliver in a key situation.

Its baseball, you win some you lose some and if you look at every darn microcosm well than quite frankly every player in baseball sucks cause they fail more than they succeed.

Seriously, some of you people clearly haven't played sports at a remotely high level or you'd understand. When I played in competitive team sports we didn't go f*** we lost cause of that schmoe. Now there were games where I'd blame myself but my teammates weren't pointing at me. No, if you made an error, you made an error, someone else had to pick it up for you and in this case they (Scott) didn't.

The Sox aren't adding pieces, they are going to sell a few guys and still contend because the division sucks. Poreda should be pitching though and we can hopefully win some games and these young guys can get used to the majors as well as acclimated to a playoff race in a sense (albeit its just a race to get clocked in the first round).

I want to see more of Poreda but I think we'll see him used a bit more in the pen and than we'll swing Count/Dotel/Linebrink in deals. We'll see what the team does with Dye, Jenks, AJ and Thome.

Seriously, some of you people clearly haven't played sports at a remotely high level or you'd understand. When I played in competitive team sports we didn't go f*** we lost cause of that schmoe. Now there were games where I'd blame myself but my teammates weren't pointing at me. No, if you made an error, you made an error, someone else had to pick it up for you and in this case they (Scott) didn't.

My argument is that the manager's job is to put players in a position to succeed.

After Linebrink looked bad and the game is starting to slip away, what purpose is sticking with him, besides for blind loyalty?

I mean if the Sox get out of that inning, its luck.

I guess I just dont feel that Thornton is being handled the way that I would like him to. I think that he should be used more often, and that he should be able to come into innings when there arent people on base.

I dont think its Linebrink's fault, I think its Ozzie's fault for leaving a player out there who clearly wasnt capable of getting the job done today.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
You know why Errors are called Errors cause they are a part of the f***ing game. My god you people are ridiculous. They didn't execute, cased closed. How about we blame Pujols for games the Cards lose because he has an 0fer or doesn't deliver in a key situation.

Its baseball, you win some you lose some and if you look at every darn microcosm well than quite frankly every player in baseball sucks cause they fail more than they succeed.

If you look at what I'm saying, you'd see I actually agree with you -- almost 100%. I'm not saying Linebrink doesn't share fault, but so does Getz, etc...it was a team effort is my point. I'm saying DO NOT play the typical Soxtalk scapegoat game -- which is what everyone here seems content in doing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
If you look at what I'm saying, you'd see I actually agree with you -- almost 100%. I'm not saying Linebrink doesn't share fault, but so does Getz, etc...it was a team effort is my point. I'm saying DO NOT play the typical Soxtalk scapegoat game -- which is what everyone here seems content in doing.

Understood. I just hate the blame game. Unless a guy has constantly stunk for an extended period of time. Even Wise, I don't think its fair to boo him, but I understand if people want to, but I can't at all even rationalize why he's on the roster.

Getz made an error, sure, but he also had a good offensive game and quite frankly he's pretty solid defensively so its not as if its a typical thing out of him.

And maybe Coop has told Ozzie that they need to get Linebrink lots of work to get him into a rhythm or something. Hell, I don't know. I just think you should be able to turn a 4 run lead over to almost anyone when its the 8th inning of a game. And the only big mistake managerial wise was ozzie leaving Liney to face Soto.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
Can I just add to this that Poreda being on the big league roster is a huge mistake now, as he needs to be in AA boosting his trade value instead of sitting on the bench.

Seriously, why is he even on this team? Send him to AAA or AA and make room for him in the pen or in the rotation. Then call him up.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Seriously, why is he even on this team? Send him to AAA or AA and make room for him in the pen or in the rotation. Then call him up.

Plenty of teams have had success developing starting pitchers through the bullpen. You can even look at certain starters that had failed initially who didn't end up succeeding until after they had stints in the pen (Earvin Santana being a recent example).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)

I understand your point of view, players have bad games and make bad plays. To blame any one single player for a tough loss is not fair.

Having said that, this game is all on Ozzie. A big part of a manager's job is to give his players the best chances to succeed and too often Ozzie doesn't do that. Pitching Linebrink in the 8th was a mistake from the get-go. He had just pitched yesterday, while Thornton hadn't pitched in several days. One of these guys has been struggling as of late, while the other has looked good for most of the season. There is no reason not to pitch Thornton in this situation. I know the Cubs/Sox games get over-hyped, but a 4 game winning streak would have given us a lot of momentum going into Cincinnati. Once again, Ozzie plays the automatic matchup/role card and costs us a game. I just have never seen a manager throw guys out there when they clearly don't have their stuff more than Guillen.

A big play in that game was Beckham's HBP. He obviously had his hitting shoes on today, and for all I know he may not have received anything to hit the time he did get hit, but Floyd was probably going to be retired. Beckham was the shot at scoring that inning. He seemed to convince the umpire he was hit. I would have like to see him take a couple of cuts.

Fact: Linebrink can hit 96 mph.

Fact: Linebrink has a nasty splitter and decent breaking ball (although apparently his arm hurts if he throws them too much, boo-hoo cry me a river Scott)

Fact: Linebrink got control.

Then why the hell does he break Sox fans' heart like this? I almost threw up every time he failed to put away a Cubbie w. 2 strikes on them while up 5-1. Bad pitch selection; worse execution. Getz being a bad defender and ump squeezing the zone is no excuse.

Unbelievable 2 years in a row this red-faced duderino does this at Wrigley.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
A big play in that game was Beckham's HBP. He obviously had his hitting shoes on today, and for all I know he may not have received anything to hit the time he did get hit, but Floyd was probably going to be retired. Beckham was the shot at scoring that inning. He seemed to convince the umpire he was hit. I would have like to see him take a couple of cuts.

I bet he heard about that too. He was pretty awesome today - i'm loving what I'm seeing from this guy. Hell, it was a great game for the Sox until the end. Lots of positives to take away. BA looked good at the plate, Getz too. And Floyd seems officially back, even though his breaking ball wasn't as sharp as usual.

I don't think that I like the calm rational " stuff happens when you're a mediocre team" crap I'm reading. I have nothing against Linebrink . Everyone has bad days. Can't expect perfection, but didn't he pitch yesterday ? Hasn't he had a bad stretch lately ? Isn't Thorton our setup guy ? Wasn't Poreda well rested ?

Can't say I blame those who are pissed off. 1. Lost a game we should have won. 2. Lost a game we should have won to the CUBS ! 3. Questionable call using Linebrink again 4. and extremely questionable leaving him in once he got shelled.

I'm one of the calmest guys on this site but in this division winnable games need to be won. Starting pitching has been good lately, bullpen very good all season. Hitting looks better lately. I really think the Sox can take this division easily if Quentin comes back strong post ASB ,we start hitting at home and the pitching continues as it is now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside