Site Upgrade

Chisoxfn

We at Soxtalk just want to inform you that over the next week or so you might notice ocassional downtime, outages or just all around general slowness when you are on the site. Don't be concerned, the issues are related to some work we will be doing on the site. We are in the beginning stages of a server change, which will put the site on a server with double the ram and a bit more processing speed. In addition we'll be ugprading our database software to the latest and greatest version as well as our forums to the newest version. Most of the outages will be minor but in about 5 days we'll likely have a 24-48 hour outage where the site is completely down as the DNS will have to change to point to our new machine.

Just wanted to give you all an update of whats going on and its all part of our constant effort to make sure we provide the best place on the net to talk about our Sox!!!

Eh, we aren't the fastest on the web but we usually aren't too slow. I wish we could have this thing on a killer machine, but unfortunately costs get in the way but we usually try to get on as good of a machine as financially possible.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
I'm looking forward to it, bring back the SEARCH!

I hope this can be done - between the new database software, the forum upgrade, and more RAM, it might be possible. Keep your fingers crossed.

The database software that we're currently on is the biggest hindrance, I think. I really hope that this works.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
Couple things:

- Ever think of a way to set up a paypal to accept donations to the site?

- Don't know where else to put it but I know you guys know Future Sox doesn't work with Firefox, but it doesn't work with Chrome either. (Just pointing it out)

I'm pretty sure it's the same issue and when we switch servers this issue should be taken care of.

I must say Kap (and I know you will anyways) please keep in mind how much it sucks for me when Soxtalk is down. So please please please work really fast during that down time to get it back up again. Because I will miss the f*** out of this place (it sounds really pathetic when I say these things out loud).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
Couple things:

- Ever think of a way to set up a paypal to accept donations to the site?

- Don't know where else to put it but I know you guys know Future Sox doesn't work with Firefox, but it doesn't work with Chrome either. (Just pointing it out)

The paypal account idea is great. I'd be willing to give the site some money, and I'm sure a lot of other people would as well. With the amount of members here, I'm sure you could get a good deal of money together pretty quickly.

Also, can we make this outage happen over a weekend? If I'm going to have to be without the site for two full work days, it'll be the longest two days of my life.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
The paypal account idea is great. I'd be willing to give the site some money, and I'm sure a lot of other people would as well. With the amount of members here, I'm sure you could get a good deal of money together pretty quickly.

Also, can we make this outage happen over a weekend? If I'm going to have to be without the site for two full work days, it'll be the longest two days of my life.

Actually, PRELIMINARILY... I'm trying for Monday because the Sox have an off day.

But I haven't gotten a couple of things lined up yet that I need to for that to happen. I'm working on it... and I hope to not be down that long.

QUOTE (tommy @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
I was gonna ask earlier how much does it cost you guys to run the website annually and who is paying for it right now?

Jason won't say, but we know he strips on the weekends at the old lady's home in the cateract unit, so no one can see.

why don't you put up your own affiliate banner to stubhub?

You do have the target audience for sporting events.

Spread the word to ST members , if you are going to purchase tickets from stubhub, help ST out in the process by going through the stubhub banner on ST.

Stubhub also has 60 day cookies .

Edited by rangercal

UPDATE:

We've ran into some issues - which means our original timeline is pushed back a day at this point.

Soxtalk will be on line until tomorrow afternoon, most likely, and we're hoping for an ETA of Tuesday morning of being completely moved.

After the site gets upgraded and onto the new forum software, we have two big upgrades. One the brand new FutureSox layout (its stunning) and two, a secret surprise which will roll-out afterwards and remind some people of the good "ole" days.

No one other than Mario and I know of what the 2nd surprise is, just an FYI, but it'll go one step farther in making our network the ultimate place for a White Sox fan.