Obama Kills Fly-Peta Not Too Pleased

rangercal

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
That's quite ridiculous. The "conservatives" must be running PETA now. :lol:

No, that is one group that truely doesn't look at the letter in front of the person before they open mouth and insert foot.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
No, that is one group that truely doesn't look at the letter in front of the person before they open mouth and insert foot.

I know. I was just poking fun at it. It's hilarious actually.

this is where PETA does more harm to itself than good. I understand their position of "everything is a living animal/being, etc" however by acting insane on an issue like this, they basically take away the areas of common agreement which fall under their cause. I think in this environment, in general, people feel that...

- Fur Coats are unecessary and wrong

- Testing cosmetics on animals is wrong

- Maybe even that some of the ways that animals are killed for food production (see KFC) are wrong

- Dolphins being killed for Tuna production is wrong

- ETC

So they make some progress and have some public good on their side, then they do something stupid like this.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
this is where PETA does more harm to itself than good. I understand their position of "everything is a living animal/being, etc" however by acting insane on an issue like this, they basically take away the areas of common agreement which fall under their cause. I think in this environment, in general, people feel that...

- Fur Coats are unecessary and wrong

- Testing cosmetics on animals is wrong

- Maybe even that some of the ways that animals are killed for food production (see KFC) are wrong

- Dolphins being killed for Tuna production is wrong

- ETC

So they make some progress and have some public good on their side, then they do something stupid like this.

Or maybe they feel that for every 10 people who go to the site and say "they are crazy". One person will go to the site, look around and check out other things on the site and get intrested.

I know alot of people that work for or with Peta and one thing they are not is attention whores. They work hard for what they believe and they always stick to their guns.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Or maybe they feel that for every 10 people who go to the site and say "they are crazy". One person will go to the site, look around and check out other things on the site and get intrested.

I know alot of people that work for or with Peta and one thing they are not is attention whores. They work hard for what they believe and they always stick to their guns.

What you just described is kind of de facto attention whoring.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)

Maybe not as individuals, but as an organization there arent many that are bigger attention whores than them.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Flies only live somewhere between 24 to 72 hours when they mature anyway... so yeah... that fly would be dead by now.

As PETA would have you know, that fly would much rather zoom into a spiders web and have its guts sucked out while it was still alive. That would be a much more "humane" way of dealing with things.

I swear, PETA would rather people live in plastic bubbles and not touch the entire world.

This kind of makes me sad, PETA could be a very positive group if they didn't come off as so ridiculous sometimes. I understand this is a chance to get their name in the news, but unless your an unheard of organization, I don't believe in the concept of any publicity is good publicity.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
:lookatme

Lump Boy Scouts and the American Red Cross into that category as well. Hurricane Dolly? The Red Cross wanted every news organization to show what they were doing with your donations. They couldn't quietly go about their business. Same with the Boy Scouts, they wanted to get those kids pictures in the paper doing something good. And my God, some businesses actually *pay* movie makers to use their products.

Next thing TV will allow companies to play one minute features about their products in exchange for money. Yep, a bunch of attention whoring organizations :lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
FYI - Not all vegetarians and vegans agree with PETA and it's tactics. I think they do more harm than good for animal rights.

Harm? How? They may be ineffective, but I do not see how more animals are harmed by their efforts.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
Harm? How? They may be ineffective, but I do not see how more animals are harmed by their efforts.

By turning off more people who might have been receptive to an animal rights message. They make the vegetarian/vegan community look like a bunch of whack jobs.

Edited by BigSqwert