Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Blazers have been making inquiries all over the first round. Their main target has been Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, a burly power forward who plays with a toughness the Blazers lack and coach Nate McMillan would appreciate.

However, Sunday night, there was talk Pritchard has even grander plans. With point guard Ricky Rubio possibly slipping out of the top four, the Blazers are talking to the Wizards about acquiring the No. 5 pick. Pritchard has been on the hunt for a point guard, and Rubio would be a nice fit to round out the Blazers' collection of young, unselfish talents.

But trading for the No. 5 pick is far from a done deal, as the price would be high for the Blazers. The Wizards want any team interested in the No. 5 pick to take Etan Thomas off their hands -- a move that could eat into the Blazers' cap space this summer. The deal almost certainly would cost the Blazers some young talent, like Bayless, Travis Outlaw or Batum.

Even more pressing, McMillan has been pushing for the Blazers to sit out this draft and instead add a veteran to their young core.

Pritchard joked to The Oregonian that McMillan "will probably kill me" if he adds another rookie to the team. McMillan laughed and told The Oregonian, "you will have to put me behind bars" if Pritchard gets another rookie.

There's no question Pritchard also is trying to figure out a way to get maximum cap room this summer to use for a free agent or in a trade. The Magic's Hedo Turkoglu gets the most mention, but sources say Portland's real target is Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich.

If the Bulls re-sign Ben Gordon to a big contract this summer, they are going to have to part ways with Hinrich to be able to afford it. The Bulls are dangerously close to the luxury tax as it is, and gving Gordon a big deal would put them over the top. Enter the Blazers, who will have the cap space to absorb Hinrich's deal and put the Bulls back under the tax threshold.

Hinrich would give the Blazers a seasoned point guard, but one without the sizzle or upside of Rubio.

Can Pritchard sit back and let Rubio slip through his fingers?

Ford

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Ugh, I'd rather just let Gordon walk.

Outlaw > Anyone from this draft.

Blake = Would be a lottery pick in this draft.

Plus this allows you to keep Ben Gordon who would be a consensus Top 2 pick in this draft with Blake Griffin. It's a no brainer really.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Outlaw > Anyone from this draft.

Blake = Would be a lottery pick in this draft.

Plus this allows you to keep Ben Gordon who would be a consensus Top 2 pick in this draft with Blake Griffin. It's a no brainer really.

except for the whole part where he will be making 3x as much as a number 2 pick and probably throw out any possibility of getting a superstar next summer. Good luck in detroit gordon

Edited by Jenksy Cat

I actually like the James Johnson pick, but considering the likelihood Gordon will be gone, I'd have rather had Ellington with the other pick. That, and the fact that I think Taj Gibson is too skinny and too poor an offensive player to do much in the NBA.

Same. Liked the Johnson pick, don't like the Gibson pick. Johnson is a very solid all around player, who can create his own shot, has a nice I.Q. for the game. Gibson is basically the much less athletic/OLDER version (might even have a worse offensive game as well) of Tyrus comming out of college.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
Same. Liked the Johnson pick, don't like the Gibson pick. Johnson is a very solid all around player, who can create his own shot, has a nice I.Q. for the game. Gibson is basically the much less athletic/OLDER version (might even have a worse offensive game as well) of Tyrus comming out of college.

Gibson is actually older than Tyrus even now. If he can gain some weight and keep it on, he can help out on defense, but that's about it. The one thing this draft does is make the Bulls better on defense which I really wanted to see, so that's nice. I think Johnson is a really good talent overall though, having him might mean that Tyrus Thomas will be dealt too (we're stuck with Luol Deng at this point whether we like it or not.)

I dont know what the f*** Orlando just did. I thought Courtney looked like a budding star and Alston was a good complimentary guard for them when Nelson was there, and didnt completely kill them when he had to be the point when Nelson went down.

But Carter is not going to make that team better.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
I dont know what the f*** Orlando just did. I thought Courtney looked like a budding star and Alston was a good complimentary guard for them when Nelson was there, and didnt completely kill them when he had to be the point when Nelson went down.

But Carter is not going to make that team better.

They really need a dominant, can score on his own wing player in my opinion, so in that sense Vince helps them out. But at the same time, this move hurts their depth (although a starting 5 of Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Dwight, and Hedo if he stays is REALLY strong) and it's a win now move. Making a win now move when your best player is 23 years old is a bit strange to me, but I can see why they did it. Also, I think it's pretty clear SVG did not like Alston, so that plays a role.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
They really need a dominant, can score on his own wing player in my opinion, so in that sense Vince helps them out. But at the same time, this move hurts their depth (although a starting 5 of Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Dwight, and Hedo if he stays is REALLY strong) and it's a win now move. Making a win now move when your best player is 23 years old is a bit strange to me, but I can see why they did it. Also, I think it's pretty clear SVG did not like Alston, so that plays a role.

The way I look at it is this;

1 - SVG plays his starters 35 mins a night anyways, so he doesn't need a big bench. Plus we have Pietrus and J.J Redick to back up at 2-3 spots.

2 - With Anthony Johnson exercising his player option, we have our backup PG. So Alston wasn't needed, and he's a bit of a cancer and not good enough of a shooter for my liking (I was pretty critical of him in the playoffs).

3 - Losing Lee hurts because he's the first draft pick the Magic have hit on since Howard. But his upside is probably only as a solid player who can average around 15PPG.

4 - With the Cavs acquiring Shaq, Otis Smith felt he had to make this move.

5 - Anderson gives you a nice young SF/PF who can space the floor.

But having a slasher who can create his own shot will be nice.

However, this deal rides on us being able to re-sign Hedo. I don't care how far into the luxury tax you go, if you can't re-sign Hedo, this deal isn't worth it, because you've given up 4 guys for him.

I'm real worried that Portland and Sacramento are going to offer him $10M a season, and if they do, I don't think we'll match.

But I also love the Shaq trade as a Magic fan. Why? Because I don't see him and LeBron co-existing for a whole season because their ego's are too damn big. This deal could blow up real big time for them.

But I also love what the Wizards did getting Foye and Miller for the 5th. With those 2 and getting Arenas back, that should be a playoff team.

So the East just got a whole lot deeper and harder.

The Bulls may not make the playoffs next season when it's all said and done.

Also Patrick Mills going to Portland at 55, I'm calling it now, he's going to have a career.

And yes some of it is my Aussie bias, but that kid is already proven on the international level, and he can drive and get to the rim.

I hope he gets some playing time, but I doubt it behind Steve Blake and Jerryd Bayless (unless they move Bayless to the #2 spot).

I have a feeling getting VC is going to help in Hedo staying..

He already said he would take less money to stay, yes he did say it depends on much less, but you can still get paid and be on this team that is championship caliber. I think they get it done and keep him.

And that Anderson guy they got, looks like a pretty solid big man. 7.5 ppg and like 4.8 rpg in 19 mpg? I like it. Only 21 too.