Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
Tough break for the Bulls tonight, I wonder if it was more a superstar player than Brad Miller if they would have gotten the call then. God knows if it was LeBron, there'd probably be a whole ESPN Sportscenter newshour dedicated to it or something.

I imagine LeBron not getting the call and the epic ****storm that would result.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
I would rather not have instant replay anymore in any sport.

I think, in the aggregate, instant replay is ok. However, i will say this: when you read about all the gambling allegations regarding NBA refs, every call in a close game is now under suspicion in my eyes.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
I imagine LeBron not getting the call and the epic ****storm that would result.

He didn't get the foul call at the end of the Bulls game and nothing really came of it.

I agree that given the angles on the tv broadcast it was way too tough to overturn. But if you go to ESPN.com's recap they have a video angle from the corner on the other half of the court that makes it look like they got it right. The same recap also says that by rule you can't get a shot off in .3 seconds.

Regardless, if the Bulls play a little D in the 4th this is a non-issue. One thing I love about this team though, which is INCREDIBLY rare until the playoffs - they play with some energy and emotion (mainly thanks to Noah). Hopefully it'll last the whole season.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

The officiating all night was horrid. I watched a the third quarter last night, and over 5 straight possessions there were 3 travelling calls and 2 offensive fouls calls, and every single one of them was questionable. It was really bad for both teams, and the end result just had the Bulls on the short end of the stick.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
Are you kidding? Sportscenter spent 15 minutes on it and had interviews with LeBron and Co. complaining.

Not much more than what they did last night for the Bulls game. And it's not like they were saying "oh what a blown call! Jalen Rose, how horrible was that call on a scale to 10? Did you ever think the refs would make such a horrible call? Can this be up there with the greatest noncalls ever?"

"s*** storm" to me is them making a big deal out of it because it was such an obvious mistake. The majority of their coverage had to do with the Cavs losing a 2nd game at home 2 weeks into the season (when it took them the entire season to lose 2 last year), not what an awful call it was.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
I gotta tell ya I like watching the Bulls as long as Deng stays healthy.

I think I hate Tyrus Thomas and Ben Gordon.

NBA officiating is terrible.

No Tyrus makes Steve happy.

Deng is a bigger deal on defense than I'd remembered. If we had Gordon actually draining outside shots right now we'd be a really, really good looking team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
No Tyrus makes Steve happy.

Deng is a bigger deal on defense than I'd remembered. If we had Gordon actually draining outside shots right now we'd be a really, really good looking team.

Damn would a true three point threat really make this team go. It is amazing how much better Deng is when healthy versus not, not to mention the great leap forward that Noah has taken.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
"s*** storm" to me is them making a big deal out of it because it was such an obvious mistake. The majority of their coverage had to do with the Cavs losing a 2nd game at home 2 weeks into the season (when it took them the entire season to lose 2 last year), not what an awful call it was.

I just remember interviews about why he felt cheated on the call, Mike Brown saying the rules need to be re-read, etc.

Hence, if he made THAT shot and it was overturned, media goes crazy.

Also, the rules state it to be .1 seconds left for there to be no shot, we had triple the time.

Why are there people out there who get paid to, oh, I don't know, sign Allen Iverson to a team already heavy with guards and ball hogs when simple graphic and Web designers like myself know it's going to blow up in their faces? I'll take half the salary and make way less stupid moves.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Why are there people out there who get paid to, oh, I don't know, sign Allen Iverson to a team already heavy with guards and ball hogs when simple graphic and Web designers like myself know it's going to blow up in their faces? I'll take half the salary and make way less stupid moves.

I dont really fault Memphis for trying. I think they were banking on AI realizing that nobody wants him as a starter anymore, and that 6th man role is there for him to clamp 5 more well paid years to his career. He doesnt believe in that, so it blew up in their face.

He is going to retire or accept it. I think its really a shame because he could really be an asset to a playoff team if he could accept it, come off the bench and just destroy a teams second line players. He would still get a lot of minutes, and score plenty, and realistically save himself some of the constant beating he takes.

He is a proud man, probably too proud to accept a lesser role.

one thing is for damn sure about this bulls team is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY better defensively this year than they were last year....and i don't think its coincidental to the fact that Gordon is gone, Deng is back and healthy, and Hinrich is back and healthy...theyve faced a difficult schedule with lots of big time scorers (James, Wade, Anthony, Spurs trio) and have only really looked bad against the celtics on the road, and have held their own for the most part

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
I dont really fault Memphis for trying. I think they were banking on AI realizing that nobody wants him as a starter anymore, and that 6th man role is there for him to clamp 5 more well paid years to his career. He doesnt believe in that, so it blew up in their face.

He is going to retire or accept it. I think its really a shame because he could really be an asset to a playoff team if he could accept it, come off the bench and just destroy a teams second line players. He would still get a lot of minutes, and score plenty, and realistically save himself some of the constant beating he takes.

He is a proud man, probably too proud to accept a lesser role.

I think they were hoping that he'd deal with it, be happy with 15-20 minutes a game, and maybe sell some tickets because of it. He's making himself look like an ass though, and really he's ruining any legacy he might have had (which lets face it, at this point his legacy is a whiney ball hog who shoots too much, only had one good year, and was the inspiration for that sweet "practice" remix).

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
one thing is for damn sure about this bulls team is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY better defensively this year than they were last year....and i don't think its coincidental to the fact that Gordon is gone, Deng is back and healthy, and Hinrich is back and healthy...theyve faced a difficult schedule with lots of big time scorers (James, Wade, Anthony, Spurs trio) and have only really looked bad against the celtics on the road, and have held their own for the most part

The Bulls are playing at a much slower tempo I bet without looking at the stats. Also, the Bulls backcourt is being outperformed, both SG and PG. SG is the best defended position in a row so far this year. The center and power forward positions are outperforming their counterparts thogh this year, especially C which is a no brainer if you look at how Noah has vastly improved and VDN going with Noah and Miller at the same time on the floor.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Noah being left off the All-Star ballot is kinda ridiculous.

Anyway, heres an ESPN sponsored blog about why Noah is the 3rd best center in the NBA so far this year.

http://bullsbythehorns.com/?p=1324

Funtastic extra:

Via Not Qualified To Comment: Apparently, Chicago Tribune columnist Rick Morrissey showed up at a Bulls practice and ate (with yummy salsa!) one of his old articles. No, really! According to Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald: “Morrissey showed up at practice carrying an old copy of his sports section and a jar of salsa. Apparently on draft night 2007, he wrote that if Joakim Noah becomes a useful player within three years, he’ll eat his column with salsa.” Rick Morrissey: Giving new meaning to eating one’s words.

I hear ya Rick.

Taj Gibson looking good early in the season.

It's odd, reading the exerpts of that refs book, than seeing the Bulls go up 11 and all of a sudden the officiating goes to crap and lets the Raptors get back in the game.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
That's awesome. And I think a lot of people were in the same boat as Rick, that's awesome that he owned up to it. :notworthy

I agree. That's great of Rick to show some accountability. One of the few in the Chicago sports media that ever has.

As for Noah, I am so proud of that guy. I think most people thought that would be a wasted pick, but wow, he has really worked his butt off and continued to show that energy he had as a college player. Good for the kid, and Rick.