Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
I'd have to debate acquiring McGrady. You get huge cap space next year, but I want to look as good as possible this year for FA's.

Yeah....thats already lost. Might as well get the cap space and dump Deng's atrocity of a contract

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
I'd love to add McGrady. He's always been a favorite of mine, and on top of it, we'd be getting a GIGANTIC amount of cap space for the summer.

Ditto. Used to be one of my favorite NBA players (Him and Jason Kidd... still have his jersey's from Toronto and Orlando, and promised myself I wouldn't buy another one when he went to Houston :lol:) I don't know if he has anything left from all the leg issues, but I would love to see him play here even if he doesn't play much... as well as the huge cap space. (Deng, Hinrich, Miller, etc.. I'll gladly drive you all to the airport)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
I'd love to add McGrady. He's always been a favorite of mine, and on top of it, we'd be getting a GIGANTIC amount of cap space for the summer.

It depends on what you move for him. They're not likely to want Deng, since they spent money to sign Ariza last summer. Trading one expiring piece for another doesn't help the Bulls, so Miller included is at best a lateral move. Including Salmons or Hinrich, that's starting to get there, but would the Rockets want either of them?

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Bulls are only like $100k or something ridiculously low like that below the luxury tax, so in any deal that is done, the Bulls will not take on any salary; adding a couple hundred thousand in salary would cost them the $4 million or so they'd get in luxury tax payments from the other teams in the league.

Quick thing before long post: Is it just my eyes tricking me or is Noah trying to develop a sky-hook?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
It depends on what you move for him. They're not likely to want Deng, since they spent money to sign Ariza last summer. Trading one expiring piece for another doesn't help the Bulls, so Miller included is at best a lateral move. Including Salmons or Hinrich, that's starting to get there, but would the Rockets want either of them?

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Bulls are only like $100k or something ridiculously low like that below the luxury tax, so in any deal that is done, the Bulls will not take on any salary; adding a couple hundred thousand in salary would cost them the $4 million or so they'd get in luxury tax payments from the other teams in the league.

A trade of Salmons-Jerome James-Deng for McGrady ends up giving the Bulls a little bit of wiggle room, so they could sign Derrick Byars at minimum to fill out the roster. I'd also throw in a second round pick to entice the Rockets a bit. The Rockets might agree since they'd get a guy who could be a 18-8 guy (Deng), a good bench Swingman (Salmons) and an expiring contract (James). Sure, the Rockets have Ariza, but the depth they'd get with Salmons and Deng would be amazing.

Bulls play out the rest of the season with a roster of:

PG - Rose/Hinrich/Hunter

SG - McGrady/Pargo

SF - Johnson/Byars

PF - Gibson/Thomas

C - Noah/Miller/Gray

You might need another player to meet the league roster minimum, hopefully it could squeeze through the salary cap.

Anyway, this would give Rose/Johnson/Gibson/Noah a chance to develop more and form a 'core'. And by core, I mean 'something to entice FA's'.

The salary going into 2010 would be 20,505,976. If the cap is around $52-$54 million next year, try and sign Wade and Joe Johnson, then resign Thomas (resigned via the Larry Bird Rule , draft Cole Aldrich, giving you the lineup of:

PG - Rose/Hinrich

SG - Wade/Hinrich

SF - Jo. Johnson/Ja. Johnson

PF - Gibson/Thomas

C -Noah/Aldrich

You can sign 4 more players to low contracts but I doubt that you'd be able to dodge the cap even that way, but at that point, you're a contender.

If the cap is around $60 million (less likely) sign Wade, Johnson, and David Lee/Carlos Boozer, draft Aldrich, getting a lineup of...

PG - Rose/Hinrich

SG - Wade/Hinrich

SF - Jo. Johnson/Ja. Johnson

PF - Lee-Boozer/Gibson

C - Noah/Alrdich

You'd have to go over the cap to round out that roster, so might as well re-sign Miller (mentor Aldrich, continue mentoring Noah and Gibson) and Pargo to cheap deals, then just sign some guys to league minimums.

If only GarPax would make this happen >.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
The salary going into 2010 would be 20,505,976. If the cap is around $52-$54 million next year, try and sign Wade and Joe Johnson, then resign Thomas (resigned via the Larry Bird Rule , draft Cole Aldrich, giving you the lineup of:

You want Joe Johnson at SF? And on the court at the same time as not only Rose, but as Wade as well?

I think we could live with 2 guys who need to have the ball in their hands if 1 of them was Rose. I can't imagine that working with 3 of them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
You want Joe Johnson at SF? And on the court at the same time as not only Rose, but as Wade as well?

I think we could live with 2 guys who need to have the ball in their hands if 1 of them was Rose. I can't imagine that working with 3 of them.

I got to agree with that, the two FA approach doesn't really work unless one of them is a scoring big like Bosh/Stoudemire/Dirk/Boozer. It's VERY hard to win a ring without a big man that can produce easy baskets, Wade/Lebron/Johnson/whoever would have to play epically well to make you a real title threat with a Noah/Thomas/Gibson froncourt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)

I think my desire for Johnson was the need for a SF that the Bulls will have. I guess signing someone like a Travis Outlaw to go with signing Wade-Bosh/Stoudemire would be better thinking about it.

Derrick Rose is heating up, 18 pts 3rbs 4assts already today. DR1 is averaging 21-4-6 over his last five, which is very encouraging. He has looked healthier and more confident driving to the basket the past week or so.

Amazingly, the Bulls are currently 7th in the East.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)

Dime Magazine seems to think the Bulls are the most likely team to trade for T-Mac in a deal that would send Miller, James, & Salmons to Houston. I would be all for it. First, acquiring McGrady would at least make this season a little more entertaining -- if only just to see if he has anything left in the tank. You have to assume that McGrady will be focused on showing the league that he still deserves a decent sized contract (which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on if he actually has anything left in the tank). Second, it would take Salmons' contract option for next year out of the equation and guarantee the Bulls more cap room for the upcoming FA Class (not that I think were going to get anyone, but still cap space is never a horrible thing).

If Houston will take Kirk, they can have him. I'm actually not too down on Lu right now, he's been fairly consistent the whole year and he might still have enough talent to be the third best player on a championship caliber team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
This makes the Bulls what, 6-2 with TT? 7-2?

It's the fact that they actually have depth at that position now.

Tyrus is a mediocre player, but he's much better than having Gibson/Miller there.

Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.

Last week, the Wizards and Arenas acknowledged that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker, and the NBA said it was looking into the situation.

Link

Last night, the Lakers/Kings game wasn't blacked out on UVerse for whatever reason so watched the last quarter.

If there was EVER and NBA game this season to look at and say, "Yeah, the refs are rigging games.", That would of been it. Even Shannon Brown was getting calls that weren't there. And you had to love Kobe's major push off to get open and hit the buzzer beater.