Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
With the game on the line who do I want with the ball, Kobe or LeBron, I still go with Kobe and until LeBron beats Kobe like MJ did Magic, the baton still belongs to Bryant...

Meh. That's a pretty lazy, close-minded way of looking at it. The better player is the better player. Are you honestly going to tell me it wasn't until the the end of the '91 finals that Michael became better than Magic? I get the killer instinct thing to a degree. And I can admit Kobe is more cut-throat than Lebron. That alone can't make him the better player. And the ring argument is useless. Give Lebron the 2000-2002 versions of Shaq and that's 3 rings right there. And Kobe's 2009 supporting cast pretty easily trumps anything Lebron has ever had around him. Lebron put up stats vs the Magic last year that rival what MJ used to do in his prime against teams like the Cavs and Knicks. I mean I won't say Lebron is absolved of any blame. You win as a team you lose as a team. But when you use simply logic, it's fairly easy to conclude who the better player is.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
No kidding. The one he had in high school (Simeon) against my high school (Washington) when he gave that one dude (forgot his name) a facial from the CPS championship was still crazy (I'm not even counting that dunk against that white dude on his mixtape on youtube which was just ungodly) I would say however that was the best pro dunk facial he's had so far.

I'd kinda place his facial on Barbosa from last year ahead of the one last night.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Any sound clips of Stacey King going off after that Rose dunk?

I think last night was just an ESPN game so I don't think there is one, but if I'm wrong...I wanna hear it too.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
With the game on the line who do I want with the ball, Kobe or LeBron, I still go with Kobe and until LeBron beats Kobe like MJ did Magic, the baton still belongs to Bryant...

I hate this argument. Because if you'd like to get technical, I'm picking Robert Horry to take my game winning shot.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Winning on the road versus decent Western Conference teams? Who is this team?

I will continue to watch them (mainly cause of Rose) but they got to prove more than that. They win versus good teams, then wind up sucking against the crappy teams. Hopefully they get more consistent.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Kobe is the closest thing to MJ that any of us will ever see and probably ever will.

That is just a ridiculous statement, Kobe came along before Jordan even retired and you dont think another player will ever come up again that is as good? There might not be any player who lives up to Jordan in the eyes of everyone who saw him in the 90's but there will be a few who might come close to being as good or even better.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
That is just a ridiculous statement, Kobe came along before Jordan even retired and you dont think another player will ever come up again that is as good? There might not be any player who lives up to Jordan in the eyes of everyone who saw him in the 90's but there will be a few who might come close to being as good or even better.

Kobe sure as f*** isn't one of them, so thusly your statement is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
Kobe sure as f*** isn't one of them, so thusly your statement is ridiculous.

I never said Kobe was on Jordan's level, if you read the post I was responding too it said Kobe will be the closest we ever see in our lifetime and I was saying that statement was ridiculous.

Friday, before the Lakers faced the Knicks, ESPNos was doing its usual hype job on Kobe, highlighting how he was in position with a high scoring game to surpass MJ's alltime career scoring average at MSG. Like that's a fair comparison--MJ's numbers at the Garden came against Eastern Conference powers; Kobe's have come against lottery teams.

With PR like that (fueled by a network to sell its own telecasts), I have no doubt that we'll see several players portrayed as equal to or even better than Jordan. You can define "better" in a lot of meaningless ways.