Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

The only coaches listed that I would want are Avery Johnson and Jeff Van Gundy.

Keep Byron Scott as far from this team as possible, if we were all Hornets Fans we would despise Scott for not winning it all with the best PG in the league and David West a few years ago.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 year, $38 million extension for Ginobili, who was set to be a FA this offseason.

That's a ton of money for someone who seems like he's close to breaking down, but he's been good enough that I was at least curious about whether he might be an option as a veteran SG for the Bulls this offseason if they can nail down Bosh for the frontcourt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Why? Opposed to trying some other team's assistant coach?

Because, unless we're getting an experienced guy, I don't want to get another guy who will go through growing pains like Vinny has/is.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
Because, unless we're getting an experienced guy, I don't want to get another guy who will go through growing pains like Vinny has/is.

My response is that there's a difference between hiring a guy who's ready for the job and hiring Del Negro, who basically was a small time guy in the Suns front office. I can see your point...but if a guy's been an assistant for a long time and had success at that, I'd be more than willing to give him a shot.

Of course, JR could just offer $15 million a year for Coach K...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
If Rose and Noah weren't injured, the Bulls would easily be in the playoffs right now. And not once during that 10 game losing streak did you see the Bulls not try. They didn't win, but at least they didn't give up like a lot of teams would have.

I think Vinny should be retained for a couple reasons

1) Vinny is showing to be maturing as a coach at times. Sure, he still has flaws, but they can be fixed.

2) By all accounts, Rose and Noah really like him, and since those are your two big pieces, appeasing them is a good plan.

3) Who else is out there? Unless Collins and Reinsdorf decide they can have their relationship intact while working together, it won't work.

What I think the Bulls should do is try and get more older assistants, like they did last year, to help Vinny along.

Exactly my thoughts.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
I still want Byron Scott.

God no. All his players end up hating him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Avery Johnson

Paul Silas

Thom Thibodeau

John Kuester

Lester Conner

Tim Grgurich

Eddie Jordan

Mark Jackson

Jeff Van Gundy

I prepared that list of high level, experienced assistant coaches and guys out of work last offseason.

Van Gundy won't come here. What experience did Mark Jackson have? Jordan stunk it up in Philly, Grgurich is a decent assistant, but I still think he needs more time to develop there before thinking about becoming a head coach. Lester wouldn't be a bad bet, but it's not clear he would be an upgrade, Kuester is trassssssh, Thibodeau would be great defensively, but we also need more efficiency offensively. Also, red flag alert pops up when the guy had been mentioned for 5 years as a head coaching candidate, but yet no one even seems to want to even talk to him. Makes me think he is not a people person. Silas wouldn't be too bad as I think he got the shaft in Cleveland. Avery Johnson, again, is a micro manager. He is the exact opposite coach you want handling Derrick Rose as there is no freedom in the offense. You run what he wants, or you're going to the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Really, you genuinely believe this? I looked at Detroit's roster before the season and thought they looked like a debacle in waiting. They had no size, everything was on the outside, they had zero depth in the frontcourt, and all their backcourt guys are only effective with the ball in their hands.

I really do.

PG - Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

SG - Hamilton/Gordon

SF - Prince/Daye/Summers

PF - Villanueva/Maxiell/Wilcox

C - Wallace/Brown

Now certainly, I didn't expect them to contend for a championship, but they did definitely have deep enough talent to make it to the playoffs.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Thibodeau and Scott, who you didn't list, would be my top 2 options. Maybe Mark Jackson, but I'm still iffy.

Again Thibodeau is not proven, and there's probably a big reason why he can't even sniff an interview. Scott is not a people person which is why all his players hate him afterwards. He's Skiles, but not as good. I don't know what credentials Jackson has.

Hell, if VDN wasn't the coach and we were going to hire another in-experienced coach, I would saw Brian Shaw peaks my interest alot more than most of these guys as well as Dwyane Casey.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)
Wait, what am I missing about Byron Scott? Apparently I'm very misinformed.

Doesn't like rookies, and will end up playing mediocre veterans.

Case in point in New Orleans, he wouldn't play Collison or Marcus Thornton, and gave the likes of Morris Peterson big minutes.

That'd be like giving Hakim Warrick big minutes at the expense of James Johnson if he was with the Bulls.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
Oh and Hedo Turkoglu went down with a facial injury tonight as well as the Raps went down to the Celtics.

They're dropping like flies in Toronto.

At least there's an excuse for the Bulls front office if they miss the playoffs or even make it if people question why VDN got (or will get) fired if the Bulls made the playoffs this year. Hard not to when Bosh is out for the season and Hedo could miss a couple games. If the Bulls lose another game, they would have to win the rest of their games to finish with at least a .500 record.

Oh, and Chris Paul is also done for the season.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
So, you're saying he'd do exactly what the Bulls coaches have done with rookies since 2004?

If anything, VDN has given Gibson and JJ more playing time, than what they would probably get on a team in a similar sort of situation.

I'm in the boat, you only fire VDN if you are sure you can get an Avery Johnson, Jeff Van Gundy etc.

Otherwise I think it's better they stand pat and keep some continuity in terms of the systems they use etc.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
If anything, VDN has given Gibson and JJ more playing time, than what they would probably get on a team in a similar sort of situation.

I'm in the boat, you only fire VDN if you are sure you can get an Avery Johnson, Jeff Van Gundy etc.

Otherwise I think it's better they stand pat and keep some continuity in terms of the systems they use etc.

If the Bulls...with DR1, Noah, and max-deal cap space can't get the coach of their choice...then everything people have been saying about management is true.

I can see that argument being made about Gibson. JJ though? The only reason he's seen the court at all this year is because the Bulls have been so ungodly beaten up by injuries.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
If the Bulls...with DR1, Noah, and max-deal cap space can't get the coach of their choice...then everything people have been saying about management is true.

I can see that argument being made about Gibson. JJ though? The only reason he's seen the court at all this year is because the Bulls have been so ungodly beaten up by injuries.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read about JJ coming into the draft he was quite, how do I put this "immature". Under some coaches e.g Larry Brown, he wouldn't see any playing time at all. Gibson has obviously been a pleasent surprise, and the Bulls hit on that draft pick there.

As for the coach, I just don't see the Bulls getting a big name coach. For one thing, there just aren't that many around anymore (and the big names like Jackson, Stan Van Gundy etc. aren't going to leave their jobs). I see Van Gundy either staying in the booth or getting $10M a season from the Russian Billionaire to coach the Nets. Avery Johnson is probably the guy they're going to have to target, and he'll have his pick of jobs. If the New Orleans one becomes available, I think there's a good possibility he ends up there.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Wait, what am I missing about Byron Scott? Apparently I'm very misinformed.

He has a reputation for not being a very good X's and O's coach who has ridden the coat tails of some very good assistant coaches (see Eddie Jordan). And his people skills are absolutely awful. He's basically Scott Skiles, without the actually coaching ability.

Hornets players would talk about how Scott would just not talk to you for weeks or even months at a time. The guy is a complete, grade a, douche. I don't mean to be this harsh, but ya, he's that bad.

I think Scott Skiles gets an unfair rep for not being a people person. I think his problem is that he tries to hold NBA players accountable for their mistakes, and tries to get his teams to actually play as a team. This rubs NBA players the wrong way because it is a me-first league and the inmates run the asylum, not because he is wrong.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 07:05 AM)
I think Scott Skiles gets an unfair rep for not being a people person. I think his problem is that he tries to hold NBA players accountable for their mistakes, and tries to get his teams to actually play as a team. This rubs NBA players the wrong way because it is a me-first league and the inmates run the asylum, not because he is wrong.

Skiles is a tremendous coach. His schtcik just doesn't last more than a couple seasons cause the primadonna players now a days will tune him out. His style would have worked so well a generation ago. I still think Skiles could be a tremendous college coach. He could coach up his players and from a recruiting standpoint if I were a parent I'd love to know that skiles would be molding my kid into an adult. Skiles doesn't seem like the type of guy that is afraid to teach his players lessons and help them grow as players and people.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
Skiles is a tremendous coach. His schtcik just doesn't last more than a couple seasons cause the primadonna players now a days will tune him out. His style would have worked so well a generation ago. I still think Skiles could be a tremendous college coach. He could coach up his players and from a recruiting standpoint if I were a parent I'd love to know that skiles would be molding my kid into an adult. Skiles doesn't seem like the type of guy that is afraid to teach his players lessons and help them grow as players and people.

In hindsight, the thing that destroyed Skiles in Chicago was the Ben Wallace signing. They signed a guy who was just unwilling to work within Skiles's system any more, and it broke apart everything else.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)

Skiles is basically in the perfect situation in Milwaukee.

He's got a player in Andrew Bogut who was argubly a bust before this season, now he's a star and argubly the best defensive player in the league (and he's not a primadonna star to boot).

And he's a wonderful defensive coach, and all of those players (that team talent wise isn't a playoff team) have bought into his system and they're getting results because of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:23 AM)
Frankly, I don't really want Johnson, for the reasons others have discussed.

I think the Bulls best bet is an assistant coach on the cusp.

I don't think that would be the best bet. It puts you in the same situation you were 2 years ago. You have to implement a whole new system in which you do not know if it's going to work or not. Players have to go back to learning the system, learning the ways of their new head coach, rotations, etc. You need some type of continuity. That's why it's only best to fire a coach if he completely sucks and there's a clear upgrade out there.