Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Agree, and it started for me when he dealt Chauncy Billups for Allen Iverson. Detroit is sinking fast.

In the current NBA, with his roster, I don't see any problem giving up on this season and committing to gathering cap space and rebuilding around Stuckey, Prince, etc. Even with Billups they weren't winning the East again.

It's blowing their cap space like they did that makes the Billups/Iverson swap make no sense.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Agree, and it started for me when he dealt Chauncy Billups for Allen Iverson. Detroit is sinking fast.

That was purely for cap room. Dumars was planning on breaking it up after this season.

Also, I found this funny:

2v0mp0m.gif

Kuester is the one calling the play.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
It was a mistake, but who knows if Carmelo would of gotten PT his rookie year under Larry Brown.

Well they needed a PF moreso than a SF anyway. So I don't fault them for Darko. He turned into a bust, but not many people had a problem of Detroit drafting him over Carmelo because a ton of people said, if he were in any other draft than that year, he would've been the consensus #1.

Ugh, I hate the conception that Darko is a "bust" because of who he was drafted in front of. From the day he was drafted, he's been in position for failure. The only time he got consistent minutes and real playing time was in Orlando, and he proved to be a pretty damn good player who was productive, especially defensively. Even as a starter in Memphis, he was taken out of games early. I hope to God the Knicks let him play. It's a shame because he plays damn well for Serbia in international competition. He JUST turned 24.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Ugh, I hate the conception that Darko is a "bust" because of who he was drafted in front of. From the day he was drafted, he's been in position for failure. The only time he got consistent minutes and real playing time was in Orlando, and he proved to be a pretty damn good player who was productive, especially defensively. Even as a starter in Memphis, he was taken out of games early. I hope to God the Knicks let him play. It's a shame because he plays damn well for Serbia in international competition. He JUST turned 24.

I agree completely, but with that said, it may be too late for him to show improvement. I hope he does good though. He was definitely unfairly treated in Detroit.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
I agree completely, but with that said, it may be too late for him to show improvement. I hope he does good though. He was definitely unfairly treated in Detroit.

He was 18 when he was drafted, just like a guy coming out of high school. He's still got time, he's shown glimpses. If he got over 30 minutes a game consistently, he could easily average 15 and 10 with 3 blocks. Hell, he put up 18/15/3 on Pau in the 2006 FIBA World Championships. He averaged 16.2, 9.3, and 2.8 in that tournament.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
Sam Bowie wasn't a bust, but he was drafted ahead of Michael Jordan.

and just crippled by injuries. He would have always had a black mark because of the Jordan thing, but if he stayed healthy he likely would have had a very good to great NBA career.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)

I know they are 2 different players...but Jermaine O'neal says hello took him about 6 years to get to almost elite status

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)

Darko is a bust because he sucks and is prone to turnovers. He'd have gotten minutes in Memphis if he were actually any good.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
No, I know about Bosh. I'm saying that I think you told me that Wade doesn't want any part of playing in Chicago.

He would love to play in Chicago, but the Bulls have let it be known that he doesn't fit into their plans with Rose already on board.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
He was 18 when he was drafted, just like a guy coming out of high school. He's still got time, he's shown glimpses. If he got over 30 minutes a game consistently, he could easily average 15 and 10 with 3 blocks. Hell, he put up 18/15/3 on Pau in the 2006 FIBA World Championships. He averaged 16.2, 9.3, and 2.8 in that tournament.

Funny this is your argument when you bash anyone using this argument for Tyrus.

They are good points though... but just a little ironic coming from you of all people.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)

Memo: cap level could plummet next year.

The NBA's ballyhooed free-agent summer of 2010 might have quietly taken another hit late Tuesday night.

In a memo announcing next season's salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, sent out shortly before the league's annual July moratorium on signings and trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m. ET Wednesday, NBA teams also received tentative projections from the league warning that the cap is estimated to drop to somewhere between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-11 season.

The official league memorandum, obtained by ESPN.com, forecasts a dip in basketball-related income in the 2009-10 season of 2.5 percent to 5 percent, which threatens to take the 2010-11 cap down some $5 million to $8 million from last season's $58.7 million salary cap.

If the cap drops that far, I don't think the Bulls can offer a max deal even with renouncing Tyrus. They may still need to move Hinrich/Deng to do that or have Salmons opt-out (IIRC he does have that option)

Raptors to extend Bargnani

Bargnani's agent, Leon Rose, told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Raptors -- who later this week will officially sign Turkoglu away from Orlando -- have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension for the 7-foot Italian, who was selected No. 1 overall by the Raptors in the 2006 draft.

The deal, according to NBA front-office sources, would span five seasons starting in 2010-11 and earn Bargnani an estimated $50 million.

Rose declined to discuss contract specifics, but Bargnani was with Raptors officials to formally sign the contract at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday when the league's moratorium on signings and trades was lifted.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Funny this is your argument when you bash anyone using this argument for Tyrus.

They are good points though... but just a little ironic coming from you of all people.

Mainly because everything Darko does isn't based on athleticism, he actually has some skills. And Darko also has legitimate size, Tyrus does not. But this is not an argument about Darko vs Tyrus.

Look at what Darko did in Orlando in the playoffs a couple years ago. Got nearly 30 minutes a game, average 12, 4.5 and 1 while shooting nearly 60% from the field and averaging only .50 turnovers a game.