Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
I would say his scoring goes down, his rebounding is legitimately good. No way he'd be getting 12 shots and that high number of easy looks in a normal system. He averaged about 11 and 9.5 over the two years pre-D'Antoni ball, that seems like a safe guess for his true value. If Noah plays 30 MPG, Lee probably gets you one more bucket inside per game with less help defense.

The scoring going down is obvious, but so would his rebounds. Slower pace= less shot attempts for both teams= less rebound opportunities.

But yeah 11 /9.5 seems spot on. I agree with you. 16/12 is very inflated.

Edited by rangercal

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Lund of 1280 The Zone in Salt Lake City is reporting this morning that there is a three team deal in the works that would send Carlos Boozer to Chicago, John Salmons to Utah, and Kirk Hinrich here to Portland.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thaaaaaaaaanks

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 06:50 AM)
Salmons being traded doesnt make sense.He was your backup in case you lost Ben. You lost Ben and now you are going to trade two more Guards?

Unless your getting a young win player or two from Portland.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Salmons being traded doesnt make sense.He was your backup in case you lost Ben. You lost Ben and now you are going to trade two more Guards?

The Timberwolves and the Bulls just might be able to cobble together some semblance of a single roster between the two of them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
Unless your getting a young win player or two from Portland.

The Bulls also immediately save room under the luxury tax in almost any version of this deal, which could be used to sign another guard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Random question on a different subject.

Does anyone out there look at all the money Dallas has spent this offseason and think "There's a legit title contender"?

Possibly, but they need a lot to go for them.

If they had Devin Harris instead of Jason Kidd I would say yes, because I think come playoff time, Kidd's aging legs are going to get shown up on the defensive end again.

And Gortat has to show that he is a legit starting center in the league, which is still a question mark.

I'd say they're behind the Lakers and Nuggets still but on the same level as the Spurs and Blazers in the middle tier of playoff teams in the West.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 12:12 AM)
I thought Boozer was like 32 years old. He is 27.

Wow did Cleveland screw up.

Boozer played like a 32 year old last season.

He's become pretty weak defensively inside and probably isn't the player he was a few seasons ago, hence why the Jazz are desperate to get rid of him and keep Millsap who's only going to get better.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
I would say his scoring goes down, his rebounding is legitimately good. No way he'd be getting 12 shots and that high number of easy looks in a normal system. He averaged about 11 and 9.5 over the two years pre-D'Antoni ball, that seems like a safe guess for his true value. If Noah plays 30 MPG, Lee probably gets you one more bucket inside per game with less help defense.

I'd say right now the smart money is on Lee re-signing with the Knicks because;

1 - His GF is from there and is desperate for him to stay there (former WPT host Sabina Gadecki)

2 - D'Antoni's system is perfect for his game even if D'Antoni doesn't like the fact he doesn't have a jump shot from outside 15FT.

I'd say Nate Robinson's chances of staying are much less though. If he does, it'll only be for the 1 year qualifying offer.

But here's a scenario. The Magic got a $8M trade exception in the Hedo deal. They could conceivably go after Milsap or Lee if they want to on a sign and trade deal, but they're more likely to use it during the season (Udonis Haslem?) according to Otis Smith.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
I'd say right now the smart money is on Lee re-signing with the Knicks because;

1 - His GF is from there and is desperate for him to stay there (former WPT host Sabina Gadecki)

2 - D'Antoni's system is perfect for his game even if D'Antoni doesn't like the fact he doesn't have a jump shot from outside 15FT.

I'd say Nate Robinson's chances of staying are much less though. If he does, it'll only be for the 1 year qualifying offer.

But here's a scenario. The Magic got a $8M trade exception in the Hedo deal. They could conceivably go after Milsap or Lee if they want to on a sign and trade deal, but they're more likely to use it during the season (Udonis Haslem?) according to Otis Smith.

Can the Knicks resign Lee beyond next season and still have 2010 cap space? They're not screwing up their chances at Lebron for David Lee.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2009 -> 02:47 AM)
Can the Knicks resign Lee beyond next season and still have 2010 cap space? They're not screwing up their chances at Lebron for David Lee.

That's the big question.

It ultimately depends on what they'd pay Lee.

But they're also trying to get Eddy Curry in shape again to deal him (good luck).

ATM they are down as paying $19.23M in salaries for 10/11. And that's without the rookie contract for Jordan Hill (about 3M for 10/11) which bumps that up to 22.23M. So say they re-sign Lee for 45/5 and he makes 8.5M in 10/11, that bumps that up to about 31M.

If they could deal either Jared Jeffries or Curry for an expiring contract, well they'd be made, but who's gonna trade for either of them.

Houston would be my best bet, using Curry as a replacement for Yao possibly and dealing T-Mac for him, but that's a long shot at best. And the Knicks would have to add something to that also to get the salaries to match.

ESPN's still running with it. Article by Stein and Ford.

Another major multi-team trade might be looming in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls having discussed a deal that would be headlined by Carlos Boozer and Kirk Hinrich, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources stressed to ESPN.com on Thursday that no deal was imminent, but two sources with knowledge of the three-team proposal confirmed that there have been detailed talks aimed at landing Boozer in Chicago, Hinrich in Portland and Tyrus Thomas in Utah.

These trade discussions, sources said, are the byproduct of a hard push by the Jazz to move Boozer in an attempt to create the financial flexibility needed to comfortably re-sign restricted free agent Paul Millsap, along with Portland's ongoing attempts to cash in on its nearly $8 million in available salary-cap space after Hedo Turkoglu made an 11th-hour switch to sign with the Toronto Raptors.

Sources say that, as a result, Utah and Portland continue to explore trade scenarios with other teams.

One source close to the process on Friday identified two main obstacles to the aforementioned three-way deal. Concerned about the quality of its backcourt rotation if it has to surrender Hinrich with Thomas after losing Ben Gordon in free agency, Chicago would insist that the Blazers surrender young guard Jerryd Bayless, which Portland is reluctant to do.

If it can't get Bayless, Chicago might still be willing to substitute Tim Thomas for Tyrus Thomas in the deal, but sources say Utah would likely balk if Tyrus Thomas is not included.

When asked about the trade talks with the Blazers and Bulls, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor declined comment in Friday's editions of the Salt Lake Tribune.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman did not offer specifics but told the Chicago Sun-Times: ''There are always conversations going on, and we'll continue to talk to teams to see if we can make ourselves better."

Notably, that's not an outright denial by Forman.

Couple of more FA moves.

Grant Hill staying with PHX.

Brandon Bass signs 4/18M deal with the Magic. Whether he will start and push Lewis to SF remains to be seen, but Bass is another guy who's around 25 who the Magic have signed as FA's over the years (Hedo and Pietrus) with upside still and his best basketball ahead of him.

At least the Magic will be a better rebounding team next season even if they lose Turk's pick and roll and passing ability. I think Ryan Anderson is going to surprise a lot of people next season also (perfect system for him).

We're after Matt Barnes now supposedly, and there's a chance that the Magic could match the Gortat offer still and then trade him to a team like Houston (but I doubt it).