Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)
Bosh would rather play in the USA.

Toronto pays everyone in their country's national currency: livestock.

Bosh has enough goats to open an Indian restaurant.

Bosh is the only guy among the 2010 classes top players who I am confident will change teams. Toronto has made some nice moves this offseason, but he wants to play in the United States and will end up doing so in my opinion. As for the Boozer deal rumors, they are fascinating because you'll hear anything from its likely he'll end up traded to Chicago to they aren't even have serious trade talks, depending on who you ask.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
It appears he's an RFA and Orlando is choosing to match the 5/$34 offer he received from dallas.

Orlando's really shelling out the cash this offseason.

Well I knew he was a RFA but I meant I dont know like why Orlando would match it..

And apparently I missed that they signed Brandon Bass too.. I love what they have done so far

My guess on the Gortat re-signing is they're gonna deal him come Dec 15.

Because Gortat isn't going to be a happy camper if he's only going to get 10mins a night behind Dwight for the next 5 years.

I actually think Otis Smith may have something worked out with Houston already, but we'll wait and see on that.

QUOTE (dbaho @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
My guess on the Gortat re-signing is they're gonna deal him come Dec 15.

Because Gortat isn't going to be a happy camper if he's only going to get 10mins a night behind Dwight for the next 5 years.

I actually think Otis Smith may have something worked out with Houston already, but we'll wait and see on that.

If they don't have the deal already nearly done, then matching that is a crazy move, given what we know about how far downwards the salary cap and luxury tax are poised to march next season. Nobody is going to be wanting to trade for that contract in the middle of 2009.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 01:53 AM)
If they don't have the deal already nearly done, then matching that is a crazy move, given what we know about how far downwards the salary cap and luxury tax are poised to march next season. Nobody is going to be wanting to trade for that contract in the middle of 2009.

Luckily Gortat's a big, and they're always in demand if they are capable enough.

I mean would you rather trade for Sam Dalembert's contract or Gortat's for instance (even though Sam has 3 less years on his deal).

Apparently the Rockets are going after Oberto though also.

The Magic do have a 9M trade exception also to use, so they could actually go after a big expiring contract like Boozer if they wanted to (Boozer for Gortat with the exception would work in the cap rules come Dec 15).

Bulls bought out Tim Thomas contract. This will keep them from going into the Luxury Tax area. In addition, Boozer was on Chicago Radio today and indicated he has talked with the Bulls, would be open to an extension, and has been told by Utah that they are moving in another direction and that he will be traded.

Cleveland GM has also reportedly told teams Chicago is the team to watch out for as they have good vets, a young star, and the money to sign at least one Max FA next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Bulls bought out Tim Thomas contract. This will keep them from going into the Luxury Tax area. In addition, Boozer was on Chicago Radio today and indicated he has talked with the Bulls, would be open to an extension, and has been told by Utah that they are moving in another direction and that he will be traded.

Cleveland GM has also reportedly told teams Chicago is the team to watch out for as they have good vets, a young star, and the money to sign at least one Max FA next year.

Fantastic news

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Problem is, the Bulls don't want to part with Hinrich. I don't see a Boozer deal getting done without Hinrich in it.

Tyrus Thomas, Jerome James, and a 1st rounder....ya, it could happen, but probably not. It also would mean the Bulls would be less likely to have room to go after a max FA next season (but again, they still might very well be able to).

And that trade I proposed meets all salary requirements per Real GM trade checker.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
Tyrus Thomas, Jerome James, and a 1st rounder....ya, it could happen, but probably not. It also would mean the Bulls would be less likely to have room to go after a max FA next season (but again, they still might very well be able to).

And that trade I proposed meets all salary requirements per Real GM trade checker.

The problem with any deal not involving Hinrich is that we're not helping the Jazz get under the luxury tax this season. That's the whole motivation of doing the 3 way; the Blazers are under the cap this season, they take on Hinrich's salary, the Bulls salary stays roughly constant, the Jazz get Luxury tax relief.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
The problem with any deal not involving Hinrich is that we're not helping the Jazz get under the luxury tax this season. That's the whole motivation of doing the 3 way; the Blazers are under the cap this season, they take on Hinrich's salary, the Bulls salary stays roughly constant, the Jazz get Luxury tax relief.

But Jerome James is an insurance paid contract and a buyout is plausible thus keeping you away from luxury tax. At least that is my understanding.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
But Jerome James is an insurance paid contract and a buyout is plausible thus keeping you away from luxury tax. At least that is my understanding.

If I'm reading the numbers right, it will be nearly impossible for the Jazz to both match that contract to Milsap and avoid the luxury tax unless they can get their hands on Portland's cap space. They're at $73.4 million next year according to Hoopshype. The offer sheet for Milsap was over $10 million for next year IIRC. Boozer is at $12 million. Even if they paid absolutely nothing on Jerome James's contract, they can't deal him straight up for Boozer, because James is only signed for $6.6 million. They'd need to take back at least another $4-$5 million in deals from the Bulls (aka Tyrus Thomas) to match the salaries, and that extra money is all over the tax level if they match on Milsap.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
If I'm reading the numbers right, it will be nearly impossible for the Jazz to both match that contract to Milsap and avoid the luxury tax unless they can get their hands on Portland's cap space. They're at $73.4 million next year according to Hoopshype. The offer sheet for Milsap was over $10 million for next year IIRC. Boozer is at $12 million. Even if they paid absolutely nothing on Jerome James's contract, they can't deal him straight up for Boozer, because James is only signed for $6.6 million. They'd need to take back at least another $4-$5 million in deals from the Bulls (aka Tyrus Thomas) to match the salaries, and that extra money is all over the tax level if they match on Milsap.

But at least it is less money to get taxed on than previously and than the Jazz could in theory go out and trade Tyrus for draft picks to a team that has cap room or something along those lines.

Well this would certainly bring the Heat back into the thick of things in the East;

The Heat are "working furiously" to trade for Carlos Boozer and sign free agent Lamar Odom, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

The Heat are trying to pull of a three-team deal that would send Boozer to Miami, Udonis Haslem to the Jazz, and Dorell Wright to the Grizzlies along with cash and draft picks. Three reasons this might actually happen -- Odom is in a standoff with the Lakers and has few other suitors, the Jazz are highly motivated to trade Boozer, and Dwyane Wade has been publicly asking for help in Miami. Nothing is imminent, but stay tuned.

The Heat are reportedly offering free agent Lamar Odom a five-year, $34 million contract, which adds a year to the Lakers' longest offer but falls far short financially.

Odom wants a five-year deal at $10 million per season, and he just turned down two seemingly market-value offers from the Lakers (three years at $30 million, and four-years at $36 million). Whether he'll settle for the mid-level exception remains to be seen, but it doesn't hurt that he's reached an impasse in negotiations with L.A.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
I'd be stunned if Odom doesn't end up back in LA. The Lakers know they can't repeat if they don't have him back.

Looks like it's up to Jerry Buss on that one.

I'd be shocked if Odom settled for the same contract as Marcin Gortat though.

The thing that gets me though, why isn't Portland after Lamar Odom? He's exactly what they need besides an upgrade at the PG spot. He can play the 3, he can handle the ball, and he's got great length obviously. I think because his outside shot has jumped off and that he may have already hit his peak is why Portland is going after Milsap, but Portland could win the West next season if they signed Odom IMO.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
PG. Chalmers

SG. Wade

SF. Odom

PF. Boozer

C. O'Neal

with Beasley, Cook, Quinn etc coming off the bench?

Yeah that might work. :lolhitting

The funny thing is, that still might only be good enough for 4th in the Eastern Conference. But getting Boozer and O'Neal's contract to come off the books in 2010 certainly allows them the capspace to make a big run at Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire.