Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

Why would Odom take less money than what the Lakers offered him. The Lakers offer was a year less and still had more guaranteed money than the Heat offer of 5 years.

Bulls*** Odom signs for the MLE when the Lakers are offering more than that.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 03:51 AM)
Why would Odom take less money than what the Lakers offered him. The Lakers offer was a year less and still had more guaranteed money than the Heat offer of 5 years.

Bulls*** Odom signs for the MLE when the Lakers are offering more than that.

He wanted 5/50, and maybe he's disrespected by what the Lakers offfered, and he has played in Miami before.

Looks like Utah are going to match the Milsap offer, so if I were them, I'd get in the Odom sweepstakes ASAP.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
He wanted 5/50, and maybe he's disrespected by what the Lakers offfered, and he has played in Miami before.

Looks like Utah are going to match the Milsap offer, so if I were them, I'd get in the Odom sweepstakes ASAP.

Disrespected or not you don't go and take a lot less money to play in Miama or anywhere else. Especially when the team that is offering you the most is also the NBA CHamps. I buy zero into the fact that Miami is going to get Odom, not if the Lakers did in fact offer what has been reported.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Disrespected or not you don't go and take a lot less money to play in Miama or anywhere else. Especially when the team that is offering you the most is also the NBA CHamps. I buy zero into the fact that Miami is going to get Odom, not if the Lakers did in fact offer what has been reported.

Jerry Buss said he's not going to offer 5/45 or whatever he offered again though.

Someone's gonna have to swallow their pride in all of this.

The Lakers can't win another championship without Odom IMO.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 16, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
The Lakers can't win another championship without Odom IMO.

If they're willing to continue to add salary mid-season to try to make title runs, yes they can.

Hypothetically, imagine this scenario. Someone wants to shed a SF or PF with a high salary midseason. I.e. the Bulls with Deng, although the Bulls shouldn't be doing that, esp. with the Lakers. The Lakers turn around and say "We have Derek Fisher on a 1 year deal and Adam Morrison has a qualifying offer next year that you can decline, thus turning his entire contract in to 2010 cap space. All we ask is that you buy out Fisher so that he can come back to us if he wants to"

If a team is hurting financially, wouldn't they do that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 01:59 AM)
If they're willing to continue to add salary mid-season to try to make title runs, yes they can.

Hypothetically, imagine this scenario. Someone wants to shed a SF or PF with a high salary midseason. I.e. the Bulls with Deng, although the Bulls shouldn't be doing that, esp. with the Lakers. The Lakers turn around and say "We have Derek Fisher on a 1 year deal and Adam Morrison has a qualifying offer next year that you can decline, thus turning his entire contract in to 2010 cap space. All we ask is that you buy out Fisher so that he can come back to us if he wants to"

If a team is hurting financially, wouldn't they do that?

But realistically, what teams are out there that would do that type of deal?

I can't see Chicago dealing Deng for instance. The best match I could think of is the Hornets dealing Peja because they're struggling financially and he's due 14.2M this season and then 15.3M next season, but I don't think anyone would want to pay him that much, and he's still a downgrade on Lamar Odom. Maybe James Posey instead, although he's due 6.5M averaged over the next 3 seasons.

What you're proposing is basically another Pau Gasol deal, and I dunno if that'll happen again, although it certainly could.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 03:24 AM)
Andrew, there are talks that the Hornets might have to trade Chris Paul due to the economy. This thing is bad and the NBA is hurting, especially with a looming lockout.

Yeah I just saw this;

Chris Paul believes that the Hornets are looking to trade away players to cut costs and that it might mean he's the one going.

The Hornets are already in salary cap trouble with plenty of holes in their roster still to be filled. "I can be dealt. It's possible. It's possible." Paul told Pro Basketball News.

If they want to kill basketball in New Orleans though, they'd trade Chris Paul. That Peja contract just looks horrible ATM.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Utah has matched on Millsap. I expect Boozer to be a Bull by the end of the weekend.

The match means that Boozer will absolutely be traded, and soon. I don't think it will be to the Bulls though, because that would be a smart move and the Bulls don't do things like that (with the exception of letting Ben Gordon go, and even that is a debateable point).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Utah has matched on Millsap. I expect Boozer to be a Bull by the end of the weekend.

I just wish the Bulls organization gets wise and gets rid of Kirk. You can get similar production out of a Steve Blake off your bench. Kirk isn't that valuable. I'd much rather have Boozer than Tyrus and Hinrich, even if that means Boozer might only play 50 games a year.

Edited by chw42

ESPN.com is saying the Heat offered Odom 35m for 5. Similar money to the Lakers per year, but 2 more years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4336149

I still think he goes back to LA, but if he doesn't, do you think the Lakers were better off with Ariza/Odom or Artest? Gut reaction to me is Artest, but I'm open to changing that opinion

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 06:18 AM)
ESPN.com is saying the Heat offered Odom 35m for 5. Similar money to the Lakers per year, but 2 more years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4336149

I still think he goes back to LA, but if he doesn't, do you think the Lakers were better off with Ariza/Odom or Artest? Gut reaction to me is Artest, but I'm open to changing that opinion

Definitely Ariza/Odom. Yeah Artest will be able to guard LeBron, but Ariza and Odom offer much more versatility, Ariza's only 23 so he's only going to get better, and Odom's a nightmare matchup at the 3 spot, and he's a pretty good rebounder and defender to boot.

And Artest is going to want to jack up 15 shots a night and hog the ball, because well he's Ron Artest.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)
The match means that Boozer will absolutely be traded, and soon. I don't think it will be to the Bulls though, because that would be a smart move and the Bulls don't do things like that (with the exception of letting Ben Gordon go, and even that is a debateable point).

The market for Boozer will be pretty big right now.

The Knicks would love to have him, even though they don't have much else to offer (although they could do Larry Hughes straight up as he's an expiring contract also).

The Mavericks could offer Erick Dampier's contract which isn't guaranteed beyond the season.

And then the Heat with their offer of cash, draft picks, Haslem and James Jones which is a pretty decent deal.

So it depends on whether Utah wants cap savings or talent for Boozer. I'd say it's probably the former but you never know.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
Would you deal Rose for Chris Paul?

Obviously that wouldn't work cap - wise. The Bulls would have to trade Hinrich or Deng and make it a 3 way deal.

But Paul's a top 5 player in the NBA and is only getting better. Rose isn't there yet, and he's probably not going to be a playmaker that Paul is, but he may be a better scoring guard.

But yes I would trade Rose for Paul absolutely.

Looks like David Lee will probably stay with the Knicks;

Knicks president Donnie Walsh believes restricted free agent David Lee will decide early next week whether to sign an offer sheet with the Trail Blazers or accept the Knicks' five-year offer, worth about $7-$8 million per season.

Lee's agent wants the Trail Blazers to offer five years and $50 million, but Portland doesn't want to tie up all their money when there's a good chance the Knicks will match. It's also questionable whether he'd be comfortable coming off the bench in Portland, or whether they'd pay $10 million per season for a backup.

5/35 would be a good deal for NY. He's a borderline all-star and probably getting what he should make.

So it looks like Odom or bust for Portland ATM.

And the Knicks want Ramon Sessions now, not Andre Miller;

Bucks beat writer Gery Woelful reports that the Knicks want to engineer a sign-and-trade for Bucks restricted FA Ramon Sessions. Failing that, they are prepared to offer him their $5.9 million mid-level exception.

It's unclear whether the Bucks would match an offer for the full mid-level, and the length of the offer could be the deciding factor. Brewhoop.com points out that Milwaukee could match a five-year, $34 million offer by waiving Bruce Bowen, cutting Salim Stoudamire, and buying out Kurt Thomas.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Matt Barnes signs a 2 year deal with the Magic and C.J Watson signs a 1 year deal offer sheet.

Favorites for the East dare I say it? :D

Man... I f***ing love Matt Barnes. The Magic are loaded.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 01:49 AM)
Man... I f***ing love Matt Barnes. The Magic are loaded.

Sounds like we may have gotten him for 1.8M for 2 years which would be an absolute steal.

Having Lewis, Bass, Anderson, Barnes and Pietrus who can all play at the 3 or the 4 is going to give us a lot of options. Barnes could start if we play Lewis at the 4 even, which I think will still happen.

Also, saw this on Hoopsworld today;

Deal For Boozer? The Utah Jazz and Carlos Boozer are headed for a divorce that's almost inevitable at this point – the question is will he land in Chicago or Miami? The Chicago Bulls have told players involved in these Carlos Boozer trade rumors that they are not active in these talks, yet as the days go by more and more people are saying there is some substance behind the smoke.

The latest rumor comes by way of Scoop Jackson and Sam Smith who are suggesting a deal through Houston could be in the works with Shane Battier and Carl Landry from the Rockets headed to Utah, Carlos Boozer heading to the Bulls, Jerome James and Tyrus Thomas from the Bulls and Kyrylo Fesenko from the Jazz to the Rockets.

This deal makes a lot more sense for Chicago, but makes almost no sense for Houston unless they are genuinely chucking in the towel and embracing a youth movement.

Sources in Miami continue to say the HEAT are active in talks involving Boozer and might be offering a deal that includes Michael Beasley or Udonis Haslem as the center pieces of a straight up offer. Boozer and Dwyane Wade have been actively campaigning for Boozer to end up in Miami.

The HEAT are genuinely interested and the Bulls continue to say they are not, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out, but it does seem Carlos Boozer is headed East - the question is will it be Miami or Chicago?