Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:17 AM)
I don't blame him. Whatever, NBA teams should always be wary when drafting a European player.

I can hear my dad's rant about drafting 'em right now.

I don't see how anyone can blame Rubio. That buyout was $8,000,000 and the Wolves could only cover $500k. Is it worth $7.5M to play in the NBA now instead of in 2 years?

Depends on how good he thinks he is.

If he thinks hes amazing then by going to the US he is 2 years closer to being an unrestricted free agent where he would make far more than $7.5mil per year.

If he thinks hes going to bust after his first contract, might as well not have to pay $7.5mil.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Apparently Kahn, Joventut and Rubio had an agreement in place on Saturday and Rubio went back on that and Joventut reluctantly and pissed off, let him go to Baracelona. It seems to me Rubio doesn't want to play for the Wolves.

He also gets 2 years to watch and see whether or not they're able to build anything resembling a quality team up there.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
The Wolves should only be mad at themselves. It's not like they weren't warned that Rubio wanted no part of that franchise. It's completely within his rights to decline to play.

It defeats the purpose of the draft if any player can just back out, IMO. I understand that foreign players would like to play for the Lakers, Celts, Bulls, but it sucks when the draft is there to help the bad teams get better and a player just steps out because he can.

I know it is within his rights, but it still sucks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
It defeats the purpose of the draft if any player can just back out, IMO. I understand that foreign players would like to play for the Lakers, Celts, Bulls, but it sucks when the draft is there to help the bad teams get better and a player just steps out because he can.

I know it is within his rights, but it still sucks.

Agreed. I think you should only be able to declare once and if you declare, just like in college, you can't back out.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
The Wolves should only be mad at themselves. It's not like they weren't warned that Rubio wanted no part of that franchise. It's completely within his rights to decline to play.

They are dumb for drafting all those guards anyways.

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 01:34 AM)
They are dumb for drafting all those guards anyways.

The more I think about it, it's actually an interesting gamble in a number of ways.

What's the Bust odds on a #5/#6 pick at that level, first of all? 50%? They've got 2 shots.

Second, by Rubio staying over there, they draft him, but save money and cap space on him while he develops. They get the chance for both PG's to play and develop.

If Flynn busts, then they can bring Rubio over. If Flynn is solid, then they have a very useful trade chip in his rights.

Since this wasn't exactly a strong draft, I'm not sure it's that big of a hurt given all the ways things could work out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
The more I think about it, it's actually an interesting gamble in a number of ways.

What's the Bust odds on a #5/#6 pick at that level, first of all? 50%? They've got 2 shots.

Second, by Rubio staying over there, they draft him, but save money and cap space on him while he develops. They get the chance for both PG's to play and develop.

If Flynn busts, then they can bring Rubio over. If Flynn is solid, then they have a very useful trade chip in his rights.

Since this wasn't exactly a strong draft, I'm not sure it's that big of a hurt given all the ways things could work out.

Yeah but I was mainly talking about the like 3 other guards they took after that..

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
According to Rotoworld, Iverson is about to sign with the Grizzlies

That would be awesome. I know it has been a rumor for quite some time, but if it really happens, I think it's a move that would be smart from a marketing standpoint for the Grizz, and they desperately need some fan support. Not sure how he'll rub off on the young guys though. I can imagine he won't exactly be "friendly."

There's a high "complete collapse" potential there, but if Iverson has any motivation behind him to try to revive his career and maybe HOF hopes...

Zach Randolph

Rudy Gay

Marc Gasol/Hasheem Thabeet

Allen Iverson/Mike Conley

OJ Mayo

That's a pretty darn solid front 7 rotation with some non-terrible bench guys behind them. In the East I'd bet that's a playoff team on paper.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
There is also globalthermonuclear war potential.

Lock up the strip clubs.

I know nothing about Lionel Hollins, anyone think he's anything special as a coach?

That's the kind of roster that the coach may well be the difference between 20 wins and an implosion and a chase for a playoff spot. You put Phil Jackson or Pat Riley on the bench for that team and I bet that somehow everyone winds up fitting in to a role and things work shockingly well. I think you need a particularly strong personality to pull it off though.

Put Vinny Del Negro on that bench, and well...that might not be pretty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
There's a high "complete collapse" potential there, but if Iverson has any motivation behind him to try to revive his career and maybe HOF hopes...

Zach Randolph

Rudy Gay

OJ Mayo

That's a pretty darn solid front 7 rotation with some non-terrible bench guys behind them. In the East I'd bet that's a playoff team on paper.

Darrell Arthur has a lot of upside on the defensive end, and he's shown that he could also be a force on the glass. He's not ready to play 30+ minutes as of yet, so Memphis was correct in acquiring a stopgap PF, but for the love of god, why Zach Randolph? Dude is easily one of the biggest losers in the NBA, and I just know that they're gonna keep him out there for an insane amount of minutes, thereby stunting the growth of Arthur.

The Iverson acquisition is also pointless. They already have a score-first combo guard in OJ Mayo. You're telling me that both of those guys are gonna be on the court at the same time, with Zach Randolph? LOL.

This team might have a terrific young core, but players like Conley and Arthur will most likely have their growth stunted.

Whether or not they make the playoffs is irrelevant to me. This is a team that should be thinking long-term. Randolph and AI are not long-term assets, and yet, they're gonna be hogging precious minutes that should be reserved for important pieces.

I die a little inside every time someone talks positively about these acquisitions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)

Zach Randolph

Rudy Gay

OJ Mayo

Is that the lineup for the next And1 mixtape? They're gonna give up 150 pts a game

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)

Zach Randolph

Rudy Gay

OJ Mayo

Is that the lineup for the next And1 mixtape? They're gonna give up 150 pts a game

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Darrell Arthur has a lot of upside on the defensive end, and he's shown that he could also be a force on the glass. He's not ready to play 30+ minutes as of yet, so Memphis was correct in acquiring a stopgap PF, but for the love of god, why Zach Randolph? Dude is easily one of the biggest losers in the NBA, and I just know that they're gonna keep him out there for an insane amount of minutes, thereby stunting the growth of Arthur.

The Iverson acquisition is also pointless. They already have a score-first combo guard in OJ Mayo. You're telling me that both of those guys are gonna be on the court at the same time, with Zach Randolph? LOL.

This team might have a terrific young core, but players like Conley and Arthur will most likely have their growth stunted.

Whether or not they make the playoffs is irrelevant to me. This is a team that should be thinking long-term. Randolph and AI are not long-term assets, and yet, they're gonna be hogging precious minutes that should be reserved for important pieces.

I die a little inside every time someone talks positively about these acquisitions.

Agreed. The only reason why they're doing it though is because they've been losing fan support. I am big on Conley and Arthur as well as I am a huge fan of Mayo. I think they need to get rid of Randolph(duh), Gay(not a big fan), and get some more quality depth at the guard positions. Honestly a guy like 'Melo or Danny Granger would do wonders IMHO with Mayo.