Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
So if Derrick Rose misses substantial time, are there any top picks we can hope fall our way?

It's a very good draft, but it's heavy on PG's/combo guards and athletic big men. We definitely don't need the former and while a team could always use the latter we still have Tyrus, Noah, Gibson and a combo forward in Johnson up front.

I'd be extremely happy if we got Evan Turner in the late lottery, though it'd be nice if he developed the 3-ball a bit to improve his fit with Rose. Devin Ebanks and Al-Farouq Aminu are other options, though both are more athlete than basketball player right now. Xavier Henry is probably a better fit for us than either of them, but he relies on his jumper a bit more than I like.

I guess in summary there are a few guys, but it's a better draft for really s***ty teams that need high-upside big men.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
It's a very good draft, but it's heavy on PG's/combo guards and athletic big men. We definitely don't need the former and while a team could always use the latter we still have Tyrus, Noah, Gibson and a combo forward in Johnson up front.

I'd be extremely happy if we got Evan Turner in the late lottery, though it'd be nice if he developed the 3-ball a bit to improve his fit with Rose. Devin Ebanks and Al-Farouq Aminu are other options, though both are more athlete than basketball player right now. Xavier Henry is probably a better fit for us than either of them, but he relies on his jumper a bit more than I like.

I guess in summary there are a few guys, but it's a better draft for really s***ty teams that need high-upside big men.

I sincerely doubt the Bulls will have Tyrus after this season. Cutting him lose is the only way to extend a max offer to Bosh or Wade. Problem with thinking about the draft now is...we're not going to know if we'll have a shot at either of those guys or at any of the lesser folks on the market (Amare, Dirk, etc.)

Aside from PG, it's possible the Bulls could go in to the draft next year with major difficulties at 4 different positions, if Deng does poorly and the PF's or C's stagnate a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
I sincerely doubt the Bulls will have Tyrus after this season. Cutting him lose is the only way to extend a max offer to Bosh or Wade. Problem with thinking about the draft now is...we're not going to know if we'll have a shot at either of those guys or at any of the lesser folks on the market (Amare, Dirk, etc.)

Aside from PG, it's possible the Bulls could go in to the draft next year with major difficulties at 4 different positions, if Deng does poorly and the PF's or C's stagnate a bit.

Aren't we the pessimist. :lolhitting

SG/SF I can definitely see, but even if they let Tyrus go Noah looks like a reasonably safe bet and they just took Johnson (who minimally has nice upside) and Gibson, plus PF would likely be their top target in free agency if they went that route.

I'm not saying I'd turn down a Derrick Favors, Ed Davis, Greg Monroe or John Henson, but they'll likely have to suck fairly hard/get lucky to get one of them.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Aren't we the pessimist. :lolhitting

SG/SF I can definitely see, but even if they let Tyrus go Noah looks like a reasonably safe bet and they just took Johnson (who minimally has nice upside) and Gibson, plus PF would likely be their top target in free agency if they went that route.

I'm not saying I'd turn down a Derrick Favors, Ed Davis, Greg Monroe or John Henson, but they'll likely have to suck fairly hard/get lucky to get one of them.

This team looks like it's had a disaster of a training camp. With Rose and the guys they do have, they'll be good enough to win 30+ games, but if Rose misses the first week and takes a while to get back to game shape, then we can pretty much write off the first month+ of the season since there's the circus trip. On top of that, right now Luol Deng looks terrible, and Salmons and Hinrich have been missing practices/games. Noah's had some really solid games in the preseason but has also been inconsistent. Maybe i overstated things a bit, but this training camp has really troubled me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
This team looks like it's had a disaster of a training camp. With Rose and the guys they do have, they'll be good enough to win 30+ games, but if Rose misses the first week and takes a while to get back to game shape, then we can pretty much write off the first month+ of the season since there's the circus trip. On top of that, right now Luol Deng looks terrible, and Salmons and Hinrich have been missing practices/games. Noah's had some really solid games in the preseason but has also been inconsistent. Maybe i overstated things a bit, but this training camp has really troubled me.

When do things EVER look good for the Bulls early in the year?

I wouldn't even worry about it until February or so. They've only been .500 or better after November once in the last 5 years and were well under .500 into January 4 times as well. Yet they've finished under .500 only once over that stretch and were still 9th in the lottery drawing.

It's a loooooong season, it just doesn't make much sense to freak out about people getting minor injuries/sucking in the pre-season.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)

Wasn't Salmons missing practice due to family stuff (wifes pregnancy)? Deng is coming back and improving with each game and is looking better than he did last year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Deng is coming back and improving with each game and is looking better than he did last year.

Don't bother with this argument. Deng is what he is... soft, scared, and good for 14 very unimportant points and 6 invisible rebounds.

Edited by Steve9347

Sports Guy Bill Simmons came out with his NBA preview today, picks the Spurs over the Celtics in the Finals. Seems a lot of people dont like him, partly cause of his pro-Bostonness, but his NBA analysis is pretty damn good and hilarious. His book all about the NBA comes out Tuesday, thinking bout buying it, should be good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nba

Deng has looked the same all preseason as he has the past 2 years. In fact, his holes are even more evident. His jumper is nowhere where it was in '07. Clearly, he's been trying to go ISO a ton so far in pre-season, and clearly you can see he doesn't have the quick step to get past his guy, nor the moves that a Paul Pierce has where he takes a jab step, then a drive to the basket for a step, and backs up pull up jumper.

And Deng has stopped the ball movement at times this preseason. Fits right in with what Del Harris, I believe it was, said. Deng wanted more shots and wanted to be the first option on offense. He clearly doesn't have the ability. Right now, he's just a really good defensive player and a nice rebounder. He's a top 10 worse contract though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Sports Guy Bill Simmons came out with his NBA preview today, picks the Spurs over the Celtics in the Finals. Seems a lot of people dont like him, partly cause of his pro-Bostonness, but his NBA analysis is pretty damn good and hilarious. His book all about the NBA comes out Tuesday, thinking bout buying it, should be good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nba

Simmons is awesome. Too bad he can't get a radio gig on ESPN or something. He is a million times entertaining than most guys in Bristol.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
Rose should wear that jersey during games. :lol:

Miller's looking a little haggard there in that pic. :ph34r:

I think they need to sell those jerseys now.

Also, since we are all talking about how Deng sucks, I hope he gets off to an amazing start this year.

So we can ship him off for something (if we could get a first rounder for Deng, I'd be ecstatic).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
I think they need to sell those jerseys now.

Also, since we are all talking about how Deng sucks, I hope he gets off to an amazing start this year.

So we can ship him off for something (if we could get a first rounder for Deng, I'd be ecstatic).

No one is taking on Deng's contract in this economy unless we take a worse contract back.