Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
No one is taking on Deng's contract in this economy unless we take a worse contract back.

When I say amazing start, I mean "So amazing some poorly run team (See: Knicks) buys into it and gives us a first rounder."

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
When I say amazing start, I mean "So amazing some poorly run team (See: Knicks) buys into it and gives us a first rounder."

The Knicks aren't taking on contracts right now, they're still convinced they can steal another SF in free agency this offseason.

Oh, and I believe NYK doesn't have a 1st rounder this year again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
The Knicks aren't taking on contracts right now, they're still convinced they can steal another SF in free agency this offseason.

I believe you are right, Simmons mentioned it in his article. I believe Phoenix has it since it's from the Marbury trade.

Even if such a team were out there, they would also have to be far enough under the cap to take on Deng's salary unless the Bulls take back a similar sized contract. If they're in that situation, why not just wait until the end of the season and take a crack at numerous better players?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)

Ok, I need to rephrase this after I remembered something.

I only remember one team having interest in Deng the past few years so if he gets off to a good start and if the Suns don't believe they can resign Amar'e Stoudemire after the season, do you think a Deng-Tyrus-1st Round Pick for Stoudemire deal could be done?

I'd then either sign Stoudemire to a deal or let him walk and use that money on Wade (since I doubt you could sign Wade and keep Stoudemire)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)

I only remember one team having interest in Deng the past few years so if he gets off to a good start and if the Suns don't believe they can resign Amar'e Stoudemire after the season, do you think a Deng-Tyrus-1st Round Pick for Stoudemire deal could be done?

I'd then either sign Stoudemire to a deal or let him walk and use that money on Wade (since I doubt you could sign Wade and keep Stoudemire)

Didn't the Suns basically sell Deng to the Bulls?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)

First of all, if I'm the Bulls I wouldn't give up a likely lottery pick in that deal, with the FA status of Amare.

Secondly, that's not the worst idea I've ever heard otherwise. The only question is...salary. The Suns have been at least pretending to be under huge salary constraints for the last 5 years. In that deal, they're taking on Deng's contract for the next several years and possibly a contract for Thomas as well.

they may well just be willing to let Amare walk without getting anything in return to save the money. Esp. considering that Phoenix was one of the areas with a huge housing bubble.

Anyone who gives anything for Deng right now that isn't "A worse contract than Deng" I don't see how the Bulls can avoid it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
First of all, if I'm the Bulls I wouldn't give up a likely lottery pick in that deal, with the FA status of Amare.

Secondly, that's not the worst idea I've ever heard otherwise. The only question is...salary. The Suns have been at least pretending to be under huge salary constraints for the last 5 years. In that deal, they're taking on Deng's contract for the next several years and possibly a contract for Thomas as well.

they may well just be willing to let Amare walk without getting anything in return to save the money. Esp. considering that Phoenix was one of the areas with a huge housing bubble

I doubt they'll be a lottery team, though honestly the potential for this team is anywhere from 30-50 wins, so who knows?

Thing is, I don't know if the Suns would want to skip on a resurgent Deng (in this scenario at least) and the possibility of keeping an athletic and defensive Power Forward.

The Bulls could weather losing them, since they'd have Gibson to replace Tyrus (and backup Stoudemire), while they could have Kirk get some starts at SG and Johnson at SF (and have Salmons start at one or the other each night). Plus, if Wade comes aboard, Salmons would be your SF.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
I can't see Phoenix taking on what could be almost $100 mil in future commitments to Deng and Thomas after this season.

Yeah Robert Sarver's always trying to save money with that franchise so I agree with you there on that proposal.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
Yeah Robert Sarver's always trying to save money with that franchise so I agree with you there on that proposal.

It's scary to think of how much better they could have been if they had someone like Paul Allen or Mark Cuban as their owner. They let Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion go and flat-out sold picks that could have added guys like Iguodala, Rondo and Rudy Fernandez.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/080501

This is an article from last year by Bill Simmons that basically discusses how the Suns being so cheap cost them a legit shot at a dynasty.

It's really sad what's happened to that team b/c of "financial" reasons. I'd be so pissed to be a Suns fan right now. Not that I can say the Bulls are much better, but at least we have a great building block for the future in Rose.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
It's scary to think of how much better they could have been if they had someone like Paul Allen or Mark Cuban as their owner. They let Joe Johnson and Shawn Marion go and flat-out sold picks that could have added guys like Iguodala, Rondo and Rudy Fernandez.

It's sad really, because they just haven't been the same since the Colangelo brothers left, and I think the Phoenix Suns is one of the better American Sport Franchises in America today.

The Marion trade was more him whining about his role, and Kerr's insistence on bringing in Shaq.

The Johnson move, well that was just bad.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
I doubt they'll be a lottery team, though honestly the potential for this team is anywhere from 30-50 wins, so who knows?

Thing is, I don't know if the Suns would want to skip on a resurgent Deng (in this scenario at least) and the possibility of keeping an athletic and defensive Power Forward.

The Bulls could weather losing them, since they'd have Gibson to replace Tyrus (and backup Stoudemire), while they could have Kirk get some starts at SG and Johnson at SF (and have Salmons start at one or the other each night). Plus, if Wade comes aboard, Salmons would be your SF.

That's the thing. If they miss the playoffs, they are in the lottery.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Cavs lose home opener, I love it.

Lot of questions around Delonte West's future with that team also.

If nothing goes wrong for the Celtics injury and chemistry wise they have to be the team to beat in the east.

This of course includes Glenn Davis injuring his hand in a fight and getting himself hurt and suspended.