Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
This is how I see Chicago sports relevance/success over the next 2 years:

1. Blackhawks

2. Cubs

2. Sox

4. Bulls

5. Bears

Cubs and Sox tied at 2. It all depends on what bats that KW can acquire.

Unless the Cubs completely fall apart, they aren't going to be tied with the Sox for relevance. I can't see that happening under new ownership.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Blackhawks

2. Cubs

2. Sox

4. Bulls

5. Bears

That Cubs team is in shambles right now. I don't know exactly what you mean by relevant but success wise the Cubs are going to take quite a dip imo. And the Bulls will be just fine, they obviously have a ton of flaws right now but they have a nice little core to build around, unlike the Bears.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Unless the Cubs completely fall apart, they aren't going to be tied with the Sox for relevance. I can't see that happening under new ownership.

Not to mention if the Bulls get a Wade/LeBron/Bosh in FA next year and depending if the Hawks can actually get the role players figured out (or Brian Campbell's contract) and who knows if the Bears will fire Lovie/Turner/Hamilton. I would say the #1 and #2 is up for grabs as you really can't say as of right now. As far as bias, the sox are always #1 in many people's hearts including myself. I just can't see the Bears ever being #5 in this city unless their personel does absolutely nothing this offseason as far as these coaches and perhaps the higher rankings (GM, etc..).

Certainly, the Cubs will always try to spend their way into playoff contention, and the Sox have a very good rotation, so they are about even right now in playoff potential.

The Bulls may have a good "core", but they are mediocre at best. Without a magical free agent pickup next year, they'll continue to have 35-40 win seasons and hover around the #8 playoff spot/last lottery spot for years to come.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 12:49 AM)
I just can't see the Bears ever being #5 in this city unless their personel does absolutely nothing this offseason as far as these coaches and perhaps the higher rankings (GM, etc..).

Fan-wise, the Bears will always be #1, but there will be a few lean years coming unless they spend like mad men in the non-cap free agent year and draft well. Having no #1 or #2 next spring stunts the team improvement quite a lot.

Hopefully, there will be better front office and on the field management by the time that they are in contention again.

1. Blackhawks

2. Cubs

2. Sox

4. Bulls

5. Bears

Relevance and success dont necessarily go hand in hand, especially in this town with a team like the Bears involved. As far as success goes, I agree with you. Cubs/Sox will be a toss-up, Sox have the better young core, but the Cubs still have Wrigley, which means they will have some $$$ to spend despite their big contracts. Whether or not they learn to spend it right is another story. Unless the Bulls can add Lebron/Wade/Bosh, they dont have much to build around Rose to build a champion. And the Bears have too many holes to fill to get it turned around quickly. However, they will still probably be the most relevant, thats just how this town runs.

The Sporting News reports: Ron Artest says he drank alcohol during games as a member of the Bulls, in part because the team lost so frequently.

"I used to drink Hennessy ... at halftime," said Artest, who played with the Bulls from 1999-2002 and now is with the Lakers. "I (kept it) in my locker. I'd just walk to the liquor store (near the stadium) and get it."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/...with-bulls.html

Magic move to 15-4 with an easy win over the Knicks at home.

Been doing very well without Nelson at the PG spot, and Lewis is getting back into a groove now.

Atlanta scored 146 against Toronto tonight, and the Nets are about to lose their 18th in a row.

Sloppy, but solid win for the Bulls. Brad Miller was just outstanding today. Now I don't really care about the other soon to be free agents leaving us next year, but if he takes a good pay-cut (which I doubt he'll find 13 mil a year on the open market anyways esp. with him aging) I would love to see us bring back Brad Miller as a backup center next year. Sure this is also pending if we leave Noah at the 5 or move him to the 4. (also the Omar Asik scenario as well)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)
Sloppy, but solid win for the Bulls. Brad Miller was just outstanding today. Now I don't really care about the other soon to be free agents leaving us next year, but if he takes a good pay-cut (which I doubt he'll find 13 mil a year on the open market anyways esp. with him aging) I would love to see us bring back Brad Miller as a backup center next year. Sure this is also pending if we leave Noah at the 5 or move him to the 4. (also the Omar Asik scenario as well)

Miller is such a valuable big man. The ability he has to pass the ball and to shoot opens up so much of the floor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Miller is such a valuable big man. The ability he has to pass the ball and to shoot opens up so much of the floor.

Let's not get carried away. One good game does not erase the season he's had... he's been anything but valuable this year.

As for the NBA, put me in the "excited" corner to see AI back. That dude is still legit... the Pistons just f-d him last year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:48 PM)

Unloading his contract is more important than the occasional good games he has.

From Yahoo;

Several sources believe the Bulls are agreeable to a package of Thomas and Jerome James(notes) for Knicks forward Al Harrington(notes). Thus far, Walsh has resisted parting with Harrington, but discussions are still active and the teams have explored different combinations in recent days that would ultimately deliver Thomas to the Knicks.

“Nothing is imminent, but both sides would like to figure out a way to do this,” one league executive briefed on the talks told Yahoo! Sports.

The Bulls believe Harrington’s ability to score coupled with a $10.2 million expiring contract make this a worthy exchange. Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni has long been fond of Thomas, a 6-foot-9 forward whose nimbleness and athleticism makes him an intriguing fit for New York.

LeBron acting like a clown.....I hope someone puts him on his ass one of these days.

He doesn't deserve to wear 23...Jordan didn't dance and s*** like that on the floor...he had way too much respect for the game. I don't care what anyone says but Lebron is a douche amongst douches