Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ESPN's Daily Dime

Would you be happy with a trade (and we're merely speculating here) that sent Allen and a minor player (a 3-for-2 would work, because Boston has left a roster spot open since Lester Hudson was claimed off waivers by Memphis) to Chicago for Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas and Jerome James? Or for Hinrich and Brad Miller?

Either of those deals would clear $9 million off the Bulls' cap for next summer when they'll be going after a max free agent, and would allow Chicago to remain a viable playoff contender with a shooter who can provide what Hinrich and John Salmons haven't. The Celtics would get another guard who can't quite shoot as well (Hinrich is making only 38 percent of his shots while Allen is at 45 percent) but would gain a far more capable ballhandler and defender.

Moreover, if the Celtics could get a shot-blocker and rebounder like Thomas, it could go a long way toward getting them out of the NBA cellar in offensive boards (where they rank 30th) and restore some of their customary defensive prowess.

The prospect of acquiring Allen intrigues me. I wouldn't include Kirk, but do you think the Celtics would take Salmons/James/Thomas? Allen would essentially be the 6th man, but he could still score for the Bulls, which they need. But then, you become thin at PF. So here's my crazy 3 way trade proposal (yes, I checked in the Trade Machine to see if it works...don't judge me)

Bulls Get: Ray Allen, Amar'e Stoudemire

Celtics Get: John Salmons, Tyrus Thomas, Jerome James, Bulls 2nd Round Pick

Suns Get: Luol Deng, Glen Davis, Celtics 2nd Round Pick

The Bulls get 2 legitimate scoring threats, playing time for James Johnson, and ungodly amounts of cap space in 2010.

The Celtics would get that rebounder they need + defense as stated above, as well as a SG to replace some of Allen's production.

The Suns get a good PF as well as a SF to replace Grant Hill, and Phoenix has eyed Deng in the past.

Then, come summer time, if Amar'e opts out, sign Bosh and Gay/Manu. If Amar'e opts in and Bosh looks to be leaving, try a Power Forward Sign-and-Trade swap using picks.

If you enough room left over, sign Brad Miller as the backup center. I like him as Noah/Taj/Johnsons tutor, plus, he can still get assists and shoot from time to time. Also, resigning Pargo wouldn't be crazy.

Use the draft pick on a shooting guard (Lance Stephenson from Cincy?) then you have a roster that looks like

PG: Rose - Pargo

SG: Hinrich - Stephenson

SF: Gay - Johnson

PF: Bosh - Gibson - Aşık (if he comes State side by then)

C: Noah - Miller

I'd live with it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 02:44 AM)

That's a poor trade for Phoenix and makes minimal sense for Boston.

...don't judge me

Why not? People should wonder about your train of thought in this. :)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
ESPN's Daily Dime

The prospect of acquiring Allen intrigues me. I wouldn't include Kirk, but do you think the Celtics would take Salmons/James/Thomas? Allen would essentially be the 6th man, but he could still score for the Bulls, which they need. But then, you become thin at PF. So here's my crazy 3 way trade proposal (yes, I checked in the Trade Machine to see if it works...don't judge me)

The Bulls get 2 legitimate scoring threats, playing time for James Johnson, and ungodly amounts of cap space in 2010.

The Celtics would get that rebounder they need + defense as stated above, as well as a SG to replace some of Allen's production.

The Suns get a good PF as well as a SF to replace Grant Hill, and Phoenix has eyed Deng in the past.

Then, come summer time, if Amar'e opts out, sign Bosh and Gay/Manu. If Amar'e opts in and Bosh looks to be leaving, try a Power Forward Sign-and-Trade swap using picks.

If you enough room left over, sign Brad Miller as the backup center. I like him as Noah/Taj/Johnsons tutor, plus, he can still get assists and shoot from time to time. Also, resigning Pargo wouldn't be crazy.

Use the draft pick on a shooting guard (Lance Stephenson from Cincy?) then you have a roster that looks like

PG: Rose - Pargo

SG: Hinrich - Stephenson

SF: Gay - Johnson

PF: Bosh - Gibson - Aşık (if he comes State side by then)

C: Noah - Miller

I'd live with it.

Ray Allens shooting would be a huge add on for the Bulls.

I would rather the Bulls make a play on Bosh in the offseason than make a play on Amare right now. I love Amare's game, but that knee worries me for the future, especially considering the commitment the Bulls would have to make to him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
I would rather the Bulls make a play on Bosh in the offseason than make a play on Amare right now. I love Amare's game, but that knee worries me for the future, especially considering the commitment the Bulls would have to make to him.

Personally, I really don't like Amare's game, and I think it'll be especially noticeable if he has to leave Nash.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
Personally, I really don't like Amare's game, and I think it'll be especially noticeable if he has to leave Nash.

Im sure Rose would find him on the floor if he came to the Bulls.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Im sure Rose would find him on the floor if he came to the Bulls.

But...what happens if he doesn't find him as much, and then Amare starts feeling down and neglected and pouts and so forth. It's not like we haven't seen it from him some already.

From what I've seen of Amare's game, he's not very good at creating his own shot. He get shots by getting the ball after the offense has already broken down the defense and gotten his man out of position. Add in his poor defense, and until proven otherwise, I don't think you can design a system to make him look better than the one in Phoenix. Take him out of that system...and I think you've taken away so many of the things that made him an all-star.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
But...what happens if he doesn't find him as much, and then Amare starts feeling down and neglected and pouts and so forth. It's not like we haven't seen it from him some already.

From what I've seen of Amare's game, he's not very good at creating his own shot. He get shots by getting the ball after the offense has already broken down the defense and gotten his man out of position. Add in his poor defense, and until proven otherwise, I don't think you can design a system to make him look better than the one in Phoenix. Take him out of that system...and I think you've taken away so many of the things that made him an all-star.

Well, back to my original post, I would much rather have Bosh. But I dont think that Amare would be THAT bad of a second option

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
Well, back to my original post, I would much rather have Bosh. But I dont think that Amare would be THAT bad of a second option

If Amare is sitting there chewing up $16 million in cap space for each of the next 5 years, I really get the feeling that it won't take more than a year or two for the Bulls to regret it and start looking for a Ben Wallace type deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)

I'm not completely sold on the idea that Amare can't work in Chicago with D-Rose, but you've made some valid points and I tend to agree with your analysis.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
I'm not completely sold on the idea that Amare can't work in Chicago with D-Rose, but you've made some valid points and I tend to agree with your analysis.

I certainly could be wrong also. But knowing enough about how much 1 bad contract, let alone 3, can hurt an NBA team in the cap era, if you give Amare $16 mil, when Deng is getting $13 mil, Noah is a year away from being a RFA, and Hinrich still gets $8 mil...if Amare shows even a small dropoff when leaving Phoenix's system, say he drops from 21/8 to 18/7, suddenly the Bulls are trapped in that 4 seed area and will have no ammo left to get out of it.

I know +/- is a terrible stat, but in last night's Timberwolves/Knicks game, Nate Robinson was -33 with four points on 1/10 shooting. Needless to say, the Wolves won and are now on a two-game winning streak!!! Playoffs, here we come :P

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:30 AM)
That's a poor trade for Phoenix and makes minimal sense for Boston.

Why not? People should wonder about your train of thought in this. :)

1) The deal works for Boston because they are horrid at rebounding, would get a guy in Salmons who could make up for Allen's production, and (I think) Salmons is better defensively. For Phoenix, I'd be banking on the fact that they have been interested in Deng the past two years, and would get Davis for PF.

2) For some reason, NBA Trade Machine is frowned upon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)

The idea of getting Amar'e is most figure he opts out and you'd have cap to sign Bosh.

Edit: I hate Mike Brown. He's an idiot.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_100201.html

How about Cavs coach Mike Brown ripping Derrick Rose’s selection to the All-Star team. Brown suggested players on teams with losing records shouldn’t be All-Stars, and Rose’s Bulls had the worst record and were below .500 when the coaches’ voting for reserves ended last week. Said Brown to the Cleveland Plain Dealer: “It is unfortunate (Mo Williams wasn’t selected). I'm a firm believer in record having something to do with it. There are talented guys in this business who can be put in situations to go do what they want… there's not as much pressure on guys to perform the right way and get numbers."

Sorry Mike, but Mo Williams isn't that great, and you know what? Not a single player on your team not named LeBron would start for the Bulls.

Smith made a good point though, other than Wade and James, no player on the Heat or Cavaliers would be a starter for the Bulls.

Edited by Quinarvy

Paul Pierce may have a broken foot apparently.

That team is in a whole lot of trouble right now.

Ray Allen has slowed down signifcantly, Garnett's a shawdow of his former glory, and I'd argue that Rajon Rondo is their best player right now.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
Paul Pierce may have a broken foot apparently.

That team is in a whole lot of trouble right now.

Ray Allen has slowed down signifcantly, Garnett's a shawdow of his former glory, and I'd argue that Rajon Rondo is their best player right now.

The Celtics were looking really good earlier this season. Seems like they've aged (aside from Rondo) about 20 years in the last 6 weeks. Still a ways to go, but it's looking more and more like Cleveland should be the prohibitive favorite to come outta the east. The Magic can't possibly hit two trillion 3's like they did against them last year. And they're not as good with Vince anyway. Hawks are good. But they're not there yet. Toronto can't spell defense (though they're fun to watch). Nobody else is even worth mentioning.