Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Boy with all this stuff with Tyrus...I bet the Bulls wish they would have kept Aldridge when they drafted him.... nice work Pax.

I HATED that trade when it was made. Needed a big time post guy after trading Brand and he falls in our lap and they drop the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
Let me say it in a different way. If the team is going to spend the equivalent of a #2 pick on a guy who is already known as being very raw, then it better damn well make figuring out how to develop him priority #1. I never got the feeling that they had it even in their top 5 priorities at any point.

IF they weren't going to, or couldn't develop him, then either the people who couldn't develop him should have been sacked, or the people who picked him should have been sacked.

You are assuming that no time and effort was spent with the guy. Thats a pretty big assumption.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
You are assuming that no time and effort was spent with the guy. Thats a pretty big assumption.

In terms of PT on the court, it wasn't zero, but IMO it wasn't enough. The counterpoint is that no amount of time would have fixed him, and although I don't agree, I'll respect that opinion and leave it there.

No Balta, that is not my counterpoint. My counterpoint is that when the guy sees the court, he is incredibly selfish and never tries to play within a system, whatever system he has been in. Tyrus is the king of ill advised shots at crucial moments. He has never been a stop and pop player, yet thats what he always tries to be. His shot has never been consistent enough for him to get the ball at the top of the key and try and drain a 18-20 footer without even considering passing the ball to another player, which is what gets him benched nearly all the time. His defense is top notch, I love watching him swat away shots down low, but when it comes to him playing within an offense, he just never has gotten it. He has never earned more playing time, he has squandered it.

I wanted the guy to be what everyone else saw in him, but it isnt happening. And you are right, people like Paxson should have to answer to selecting Tyrus and being incorrect in assuming that he could be coached up to a complete player. And maybe if he goes to a situation like Dallas or Phoenix or New York he will excel, but it isnt happening here, and its getting worse.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
No Balta, that is not my counterpoint. My counterpoint is that when the guy sees the court, he is incredibly selfish and never tries to play within a system, whatever system he has been in. Tyrus is the king of ill advised shots at crucial moments. He has never been a stop and pop player, yet thats what he always tries to be. His shot has never been consistent enough for him to get the ball at the top of the key and try and drain a 18-20 footer without even considering passing the ball to another player, which is what gets him benched nearly all the time. His defense is top notch, I love watching him swat away shots down low, but when it comes to him playing within an offense, he just never has gotten it. He has never earned more playing time, he has squandered it.

There have been numerous times where I've yelled at the TV watching Tyrus try to drain a 20 footer when he could easily go right up to the basket.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 7, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)

I wanted the guy to be what everyone else saw in him, but it isnt happening. And you are right, people like Paxson should have to answer to selecting Tyrus and being incorrect in assuming that he could be coached up to a complete player. And maybe if he goes to a situation like Dallas or Phoenix or New York he will excel, but it isnt happening here, and its getting worse.

TYVM

KC has an article on this today.

Whether the Bulls find a taker for the forward by the Feb. 18 trade deadline or simply renounce his rights this summer, Thomas either will or won't reach his tantalizing potential elsewhere.

The Bulls will say the steady play of rookie Taj Gibson is why Thomas is no longer the starting power forward after missing seven weeks with a fractured radius in his left forearm. And Gibson unquestionably has been a steal of the draft, a fundamentally sound, reliable player.

But part of successful coaching is managing personalities. When Thomas came off the bench to average 16 points, 10.3 rebounds and two blocks in 30.3 minutes in his first three games back from injury in late December, the time to start him and allow him to play through some mistakes arrived.

Instead, Thomas came off the bench to play just 15 foul-plagued minutes on Jan. 2 against Orlando. He has played more than 30 minutes just once since — on Jan. 20 at the Clippers — and tallied 18 points, six rebounds and three blocks while doing so.

Gibson may be a rookie, but he's 14 months older than Thomas. Rightly or wrongly, he has proved he's mentally strong enough to handle starting or coming off the bench. Just as rightly or wrongly, Thomas has proved you lose him if you don't start him.

Making the early-January decision to continue starting Gibson even more confounding is the fact his numbers as a reserve are better than when he starts and Thomas' statistics in his three starts are better than when he comes off the bench.

Don't misunderstand: Even before Thomas' latest cross-the-line actions, the window to start him had long since closed. You can't reward failing to execute the game plan and indifferent play by handing a starting job back to a player. And Thomas was guilty of both at times in a very forgettable January.

Then again, it's hard to play effectively when you're looking over your shoulder, knowing your next mistake will be your last for the night. And there simply was no excuse for not playing Thomas more against Philadelphia on Wednesday, when Elton Brand abused Gibson and Thomas tallied 12 points and six rebounds in just 15 minutes — but didn't play the final 15 minutes.

None of this is to excuse Thomas' profanity-laced postgame outburst at Del Negro, the seeds of which started during Friday's game and which several witnesses termed inexcusable.

Thomas' wild first quarter, which included two goaltending infractions, a turnover on a crosscourt pass and a running, left-handed hook, led to Del Negro benching him for the second quarter and words were exchanged on the bench.

By night's end, the words turned to shouts.

Thomas met with general manager Gar Forman on Saturday, the day the team imposed its latest discipline. The meeting went well and the Bulls are continuing their efforts to move Thomas.

I really do hope one thing...that they never turned down a trade offer because they didn't want to give up Thomas. Because you could see this building towards a boiling point over 2 years ago.

Vintage Vince Carter tonight, 48 points, the guy was hitting shots left, right and center in the 2nd half.

Terrible performance defensively, but I'll take the win coming off a back to back.

We've got Chicago and Cleveland next, the Cavs on a back to back.

I'd probably take a split of those 2 right now and go into the ASB at 36-18.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 03:43 AM)
Throwbacks seem to be very popular this year, especially with the Jazz and Cavs.

Timberwolves have also been wearing their throwbacks fairly consistently, which is good because the throwbacks are better than our current jerseys.

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Timberwolves have also been wearing their throwbacks fairly consistently, which is good because the throwbacks are better than our current jerseys.

10x Better to be exact. . . I've done the math, don't ask to see my work.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
Nice to see the Bulls take care of business against a bad team tonight (and at Indiana too, where they have seemed to struggle in recent years). Be nice if they can beat Orlando and get above .500 going into the break tomorrow.

It was nice to see them pull it off in the 4th quarter because for the first three quarters it wasn't lookin' too good.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
It was nice to see them pull it off in the 4th quarter because for the first three quarters it wasn't lookin' too good.

Pretty sure they had the lead after the 1st quarter as well? The 2 quarters Deng showed up the Bulls couldnt be stopped offensively.