Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

Hmmm;

Ben Gordon said after Wednesday's trade that he expects to be the sixth man behind Rip Hamilton for the Pistons next season.

That's all well and good, but there's no getting around Gordon eating into Hamilton's minutes. Hamilton was already unhappy with moves the Pistons made last year, so it's still possible he demands a trade this summer. It's also possible that he and Gordon can play together, so we'll just have to wait and see if the Pistons have any more moves up their sleeves prior to the season.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Deng is unmoveable right now in my opinion with his contract, similar situation to what the Hawks have with Brian Campbell (although he might be a bit more realistic to move). Trading Hinrich would be a killer for this year because the backcourt is thin enough, but I think they might deal him anyways for the sake of the summer of 2010.

Evidently without Deng the Bulls will be under the cap even if they have Hinrich and Deng under contract. They would just have to renounce the rights to Salmons and Tyrus. The more I think about this the more I think Hollinger is right.

The Bulls now have 4 guys who are pretty damn solid that can play the 1 through 3 spots (Hinrich/Rose/Salmons at the 1 and 2), Deng/Salmons at the 3. You still have Brad Miller, etc down low. If Deng comes back and can produce your in good shape. Bulls will bring in a veteran to a 1 yr deal that can be insurance in case any of our guards/wings goes down.

Basically put, our glut is over.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Everyone here must have a NBA job. GMAFB.

$58.68 million

That's the salary cap.

You want to allocate 19% of that to a guy who doesn't start? The Bulls have been built around Gordon as the main scorer for years... it's not the key to a championship. It's time for you to realize this.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
that still has nothing to do with the writing on the wall for 3 weeks. Just wondering if 101 had inside info.

All I'm going to say is I've had it on good authority for quite a while now that this team had no interest in keeping Ben Gordon, and I still think that a person who didn't have the same info I did could have seen the writing on the wall as well (with the exception of when they took Taj Gibson over Wayne Ellington, which made no sense.) Ben Gordon was just on Silvy and Waddle in fact, and he said that the Bulls did not even offer him a contract. If that's not proof they didn't want him back, I don't know what is, and all things considered, I have a hard time blaming the Bulls for feeling that way.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
All I'm going to say is I've had it on good authority for quite a while now that this team had no interest in keeping Ben Gordon, and I still think that a person who didn't have the same info I did could have seen the writing on the wall as well (with the exception of when they took Taj Gibson over Wayne Ellington, which made no sense.) Ben Gordon was just on Silvy and Waddle in fact, and he said that the Bulls did not even offer him a contract. If that's not proof they didn't want him back, I don't know what is, and all things considered, I have a hard time blaming the Bulls for feeling that way.

All things considered...would the Bulls rather have 2010 cap space or Ben Gordon plus some luxury tax payments right now or a mandate to move either Hinrich or Deng?

I find it difficult to say that 2010 cap space is the wrong move, esp. the more I think about it. It still stings to lose him without even getting an extra draft pick in return though. And I can't figure out why we wouldn't draft a SG; we clearly need a backup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
All things considered...would the Bulls rather have 2010 cap space or Ben Gordon plus some luxury tax payments right now or a mandate to move either Hinrich or Deng?

I find it difficult to say that 2010 cap space is the wrong move, esp. the more I think about it. It still stings to lose him without even getting an extra draft pick in return though. And I can't figure out why we wouldn't draft a SG; we clearly need a backup.

I think the answer to your question is a pretty easy one. As for your point about the backup SG, I don't get that either. I liked the James Johnson pick, but the Bulls knew Ben Gordon was going to be gone, which makes taking Taj Gibson over Wayne Ellington make absolutely zero sense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm OK with the Bulls not reupping with Gordon. He's a good player, no doubt, but I just don't see him making the Bulls significantly better. It might effect the 2009-10 win total in a negative way, but might positively effect going into the future.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm OK with the Bulls not reupping with Gordon. He's a good player, no doubt, but I just don't see him making the Bulls significantly better. It might effect the 2009-10 win total in a negative way, but might positively effect going into the future.

Yeah I think your point about it affecting 2009-2010 in a negative way is probably true, and they realize that. It's a move about the future though, and this team wasn't going to conted for a title in 2009-2010 anyways. I'd guess they will sign a backup shooting guard to a 1 year deal in the meantime though, like a Marquis Daniels or Dahntay Jones.

EDIT: The Bulls have already contacted Daniels. http://www.fanhouse.com/tag/Marquis+Daniels+/

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Yeah I think your point about it affecting 2009-2010 in a negative way is probably true, and they realize that. It's a move about the future though, and this team wasn't going to conted for a title in 2009-2010 anyways. I'd guess they will sign a backup shooting guard to a 1 year deal in the meantime though, like a Marquis Daniels or Dahntay Jones.

EDIT: The Bulls have already contacted Daniels. http://www.fanhouse.com/tag/Marquis+Daniels+/

Just heard a clip of a Gordon interview from earlier today on ESPN 1000, basically even though the Bulls GM said he would be the number one priority, Gordon said the Bulls didn't even make him an offer or barely contact him. So it sounds like the Bulls had little interest in resigning him, which as I said above, I'm OK with.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Just heard a clip of a Gordon interview from earlier today on ESPN 1000, basically even though the Bulls GM said he would be the number one priority, Gordon said the Bulls didn't even make him an offer or barely contact him. So it sounds like the Bulls had little interest in resigning him, which as I said above, I'm OK with.

The only reason the Bulls said re-signing Gordon was the number one priority was to appease the Ben Gordon fans out there (I hate when teams do stuff like that, btw, they should know the truth will eventually come out.)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
$58.68 million

That's the salary cap.

You want to allocate 19% of that to a guy who doesn't start? The Bulls have been built around Gordon as the main scorer for years... it's not the key to a championship. It's time for you to realize this.

Doesn't start? Who cares if he is going to average 35+ mins a night. I don't see your point. Minutes played> "role"

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Doesn't start? Who cares if he is going to average 35+ mins a night. I don't see your point. Minutes played> "role"

The question is...what happens to their roster if they're playing him 35+ minutes a night? That guarantees they're playing a small lineup for at least 1/2 the game, to my eyes, because otherwise there's no where to get him those minutes.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)

Rip Hamilton makes a similar amount of money. Last I checked, you can't play 70 minutes worth of shooting guards with Stuckey and Bynum at the point. Not to mention their clusterf*** of forwards.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Rip Hamilton makes a similar amount of money. Last I checked, you can't play 70 minutes worth of shooting guards with Stuckey and Bynum at the point. Not to mention their clusterf*** of forwards.

They've basically taken the backcourt clog that forced the Bulls to constantly shift to the small lineup and adopted it as their standard procedure for next season unless they can move Hamilton.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
I will probably always disagree with you on Gordon's defense. He's not slightly above average, he's not even average, but thats for another time. However, if you think Salmons' biggest strength is his defense, then you are REALLY cutting his offensive abilities short. He averaged 18.3 ppg last year, shot great field goal percentages, has the ability to shoot 3's and also great driving ability. He scored 2 points less a game than Gordon and plays far superior defense. If Gordon's offense is a strength, than how is Salmons' not a strength as well? What are the "negatives" to Salmons' game? I don't think there is anything he can't do very well. If anything, the negative is that he's 29 and not 26.

And he's never had quite a year like last year whereas Gordon had just as good of a year if not better in '07, one can argue.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
I realize this, but my point I guess is more that without BG you are guaranteed to be in the sweepstakes for one of the bigs, but with Gordon on the roster, you are banking on getting rid of Kirk's contract to be a player and that is no guarantee. I mean in the perfect world, I would love to have Rose, BG, Deng, Bosh, Noah as a starting lineup, but I think BG resigning complicates getting the big.

Bulls would've been guaranteed to be in the sweepstakes for even just one big next year without getting rid of Gordon if they did let go of Hinrich. And the Bulls did have an offer in place from Minnesota, but chose to decline it at the deadline. Many thought they would build up his value further(which I think he did in the playoffs honestly) and then possibly trade him. Looks like they decided internally they valued him over BG according to KC Johnson. If you ask me, this had more to do with JR personally not being a fan of Ben Gordon, not so much Gar or Paxson who publicly stated they wanted to keep him. Apparently, Ben and the Raymond Bros let the Bulls know what the offer was, and the Bulls never offered him anything. Now Ben, according to sources, just wanted the Bulls to make an offer and he would settle for less to stay in Chicago. The Bulls didn't do that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Bwahaha. The Pistons are going to suck.

Eh, I don't think so. What I think they'll be though is stuck around that 4th or 5th seed though kind of like Washington a few years back. They'll be good, but not good enough and definitely not suck enough to get an elite player. If they trade RIP or Tayshaun for Boozer, they'll actually look really good.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
Bulls offered the same money the last 2 years...whatever. If this team's serious about defense anyway then it's for the best.

No they didn't. They offered 5 years 50 million after 06/07. Gordon declined it. Last year the offer was 6 years, 54-57 million. Each of which is less than what he got which they are now reporting could be up to 60 million over 5 years.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
LOL, of all of the ways to add payroll, the Grizzlies finally decide to do it to acquire Zach Randolph. I don't even care that they're essentially getting him for free, that's REALLY dumb. Not only is he making $17 mil each of the next two years, he's a malcontent that is arguably the worst defensive big man in the league.

I personally thought that was a joke too. Especially hurts when the Jazz said they are going to try and move Boozer to keep Milsap.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
No they didn't. They offered 5 years 50 million after 06/07. Gordon declined it. Last year the offer was 6 years, 54-57 million. Each of which is less than what he got which they are now reporting could be up to 60 million over 5 years.

But think about this...Gordon played for what, $5 mil a year the last 2 years? The Bulls got him at a major discount there. He could have signed his contract after 06/07, played for $10 mil a season, then been ready to hit FA again at age 29. Instead he's played for $5 mil a season, now is getting an $11 mil a year deal, and will hit FA again at age 31. He cost himself a ton of money by not signing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
But think about this...Gordon played for what, $5 mil a year the last 2 years? The Bulls got him at a major discount there. He could have signed his contract after 06/07, played for $10 mil a season, then been ready to hit FA again at age 29. Instead he's played for $5 mil a season, now is getting an $11 mil a year deal, and will hit FA again at age 31. He cost himself a ton of money by not signing.

Ben would not have received payment from his next contract until this past year when he signed the qualifying. So he made I think 5.7 or 6.7 million last year. He's making reportedly now, 5 years 60 million.

With last year and new contract from Pistons: 65.7 million = roughly 13 million a year

If he signed the 6/54 last year: that's roughly 9 million a year

If he signed the year before5/50: he would make 10 million a year

From not signing the deal last year or the year before which would've kicked in last year, he still makes more money taking the QO last year and signing the deal with the Pistons.

Well congratu-f***ing-lations to Ben Gordon for getting 5 more million over 5 years. Holding out REALLY paid off for him. Give me a break. And can you please link us to any article that says he's getting 5/60? From what I've heard, his deal starts at 9.5 and goes up at the end.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
Well congratu-f***ing-lations to Ben Gordon for getting 5 more million over 5 years. Holding out REALLY paid off for him. Give me a break. And can you please link us to any article that says he's getting 5/60? From what I've heard, his deal starts at 9.5 and goes up at the end.

I know percentage wise it is not a great deal, but 5 million is still a whole lot of money.

Artest says he's signing with the Lakers, Lakers have no comment. Ariza met with Rockets, perhaps a sign-and-trade brewing?

Adding Artest will seal up the lack of toughness the Lakers showed vs Denver. Ron Ron is that rugged presence they didn't have, though he is older than Ariza. But Ariza's agent called the $5.6 mil per year mid-level exception offer from the Lakers "a slap in the face", so it's clear Ariza is more concerned with getting paid than winning another ring.

Gortat verbally agrees with the Mavericks.

Report out of Spain is saying Rubio to stay in Spain for 2 more years.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 2, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
I know percentage wise it is not a great deal, but 5 million is still a whole lot of money.

If he gets one million a year extra for each of the 5 years of his deal then it's not a lot of money. Not in NBA terms.