Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
They traded it to Phoenix in 2004 I think. Isiah Thomas traded for Stephon Marbury. Then the Suns sent it to Utah in a Tom Gugliotta trade.

So a trade in 2004 had a draft pick from 2010? That's just weird.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:10 PM)
So a trade in 2004 had a draft pick from 2010? That's just weird.

It's so great though, because Isiah just buried that organization for years to come, and if they don't sign multiple Max FA's this year, they will be forever screwed.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
It's so great though, because Isiah just buried that organization for years to come, and if they don't sign multiple Max FA's this year, they will be forever screwed.

It was only 10 years ago that the Knicks went to the Finals. One man can screw up so much.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Shaq is just mad because he knows that Dwight is better and that one day Dwight could be considered the best Center of all-time.

Not even close. Dwight is a phenomenal finisher, but he has pretty much no post moves and is an abysmal shooter. He's good, but nowhere close to historically good yet, not with his struggles to consistently score 20 and his high turnover rates.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Not even close. Dwight is a phenomenal finisher, but he has pretty much no post moves and is an abysmal shooter. He's good, but nowhere close to historically good yet, not with his struggles to consistently score 20 and his high turnover rates.

Dwight's post game is actually quite decent now, he's got the running hook, the baseline spin move, and he can hit the bank shot ALA Duncan.

1st half of the season, the Magic hardly gave him the ball, but thankfully they are now and his numbers are starting to get back on par

I think we showed today that a Magic vs. Cavs series in the playoffs would be very interesting to watch once again.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)
Dwight's post game is actually quite decent now, he's got the running hook, the baseline spin move, and he can hit the bank shot ALA Duncan.

1st half of the season, the Magic hardly gave him the ball, but thankfully they are now and his numbers are starting to get back on par

I think we showed today that a Magic vs. Cavs series in the playoffs would be very interesting to watch once again.

Making the moves and converting them at a decent rate are two different things. Basically every scouting report and the stats say he's sub-par if he's not right at the rim. He only makes 42% of his shots in the under 10 foot range (not counting the at the rim data), which is low when compared to guys like Duncan (49.7), Jefferson (51), Stoudemire (52.8), Boozer (47.4), Lopez (47.7), Bosh (50.9), ect.

He's still the best center in the league right now without a dependable post arsenal, but when comparing him to other elite centers historically it definitely hurts his case.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Dwight still has 16 good years left in him and hes already played 7. He'll be right up there as one of the best.

I think Dwights in his 6th year actually, and you're assuming he'll play until he's 40. He very well could, but that's so long from now. Many things can happen.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
I think Dwights in his 6th year actually, and you're assuming he'll play until he's 40. He very well could, but that's so long from now. Many things can happen.

Agreed. Hell if Oden wasn't made of glass, who knows how good (or better) he would had been compared to Howard. Shaq was the most dominant center I've ever seen in my life. Regardless of what Howard does, IMO, he will never be as scary as Shaq was in his prime. I still think Howard will get a ring or more, but who knows how long hes got to dominate (Shaq was what 35 when he won with Miami?) Whose to say there isn't a dominant center we might see in 3-5 years down the line. Oden was suppose to be that guy, but injuries have really killed him. I thought Derrick Rose was gonna be the most athletic PG to come out for like 10+ years (still could be actually) and now you got a guy like John Wall comming, who could be even more athletic. You just never know what can happen in the future.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
Agreed. Hell if Oden wasn't made of glass, who knows how good (or better) he would had been compared to Howard. Shaq was the most dominant center I've ever seen in my life. Regardless of what Howard does, IMO, he will never be as scary as Shaq was in his prime. I still think Howard will get a ring or more, but who knows how long hes got to dominate (Shaq was what 35 when he won with Miami?) Whose to say there isn't a dominant center we might see in 3-5 years down the line. Oden was suppose to be that guy, but injuries have really killed him. I thought Derrick Rose was gonna be the most athletic PG to come out for like 10+ years (still could be actually) and now you got a guy like John Wall comming, who could be even more athletic. You just never know what can happen in the future.

I'd like Noah to be that dominant center :P.

If his sky-hook ends up become a sure thing, he could be, but thats extreme optimism.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
Whose to say there isn't a dominant center we might see in 3-5 years down the line.

Two words: Ryan Hollins.

Yeah, that's right. He might only have two more rebounds (149) than fouls (147) this year, but damnit, he's going to be that new dominant center!!!!!!!!1

Also, on an unrelated note, if you need any more proof that +/- is a terrible stat, just look at tonight's Timberwolves line: Darko Milicic was +35 coming off the bench. I didn't watch the game, but something tells me that doesn't truly show Darko's value tonight. That being said, I love the addition of him. Perfect low-risk move that adds a big body to our front court to play with Jefferson/Love. Now if only Hollins could be benched...

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:54 AM)
Two words: Ryan Hollins.

Yeah, that's right. He might only have two more rebounds (149) than fouls (147) this year, but damnit, he's going to be that new dominant center!!!!!!!!1

Also, on an unrelated note, if you need any more proof that +/- is a terrible stat, just look at tonight's Timberwolves line: Darko Milicic was +35 coming off the bench. I didn't watch the game, but something tells me that doesn't truly show Darko's value tonight. That being said, I love the addition of him. Perfect low-risk move that adds a big body to our front court to play with Jefferson/Love. Now if only Hollins could be benched...

From everything I've read, he was pretty damn good off the bench in 19 minutes. Something like 8 pts, 8 boards, a block and 2 assists.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 04:38 AM)
From everything I've read, he was pretty damn good off the bench in 19 minutes. Something like 8 pts, 8 boards, a block and 2 assists.

Oh, definitely. And if he can keep that up, it'd be great. But that being said, nothing anyone can say will convince me that he was the best player on the court for the Wolves last night :P

QUOTE (SockMe @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Shaq is just mad because he knows that Dwight is better and that one day Dwight could be considered the best Center of all-time.

This post is filled with epic fail.

Wow, Dwight is better than a 38 year old who is 350 lbs. What an accomplishment.

Then there's the whole issue with, you know, like Bill Russell, Kareem, Wilt... Dwight puts up stats but he can't compare to Diesel or any of these four. I am also sooo taking Tim Duncan over Dwight.

Edited by Steve9347