Stefan Gartrell, Break Out year in AA?

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Regarding Getz... way too over-hyped?? Are you even being close to serious? I remember starting a thread on SoxTalk last year titled "Why not Getz?" to discuss him as a viable alternative for 2B this year when everybody else on the planet except him was being talked about by fans. It was apparent from that discussion that most people knew nothing about him and clearly did not think he was a legit candidate for the job. Look back at the spring training threads this year... most people thought of Getz as their candidate of least choice for the job (after Lillibridge and Nix). And I don't think anybody dreamed much less expected him to have a .400 OBP etc.

Getz went from a no-name prospect to superstar prospect with one flare to center against KC, it seemed like. I remember reading how his added power last year would translate to potentially 15 homers in his rookie year. How many projected lineups this offseason did we see with Getz leading off? Sure seemed like a lot. I agree that we should be optimistic though, as our new prospects are of a different breed than previous ones.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Very optimistic? Since when? Maybe in the last couple of months. But IMO, a little optimism is warranted given the sharp turnaround the organization has made in the last couple of years and to help balance the general overwhelming pessimism most fans have had about Sox prospects.

I posted this in another thread, but it is still relevant here.

I think the reason don't want to be overly optimistic is because they have been burned before on prospects. I have followed Sox minor leaguers since 2000 and I got really excited then we had the best farm system according to baseball america. Here is the Sox's top 15 prospects following the completion of the 2000 season:

1) Rauch

2) Borchard

3) Crede

4) Ginter

5) Wright

6) Barcelo

7) West

8) Rowand

9) Fogg

10) Stumm

11) Majewski

12) Liefer

13) Biddle

14) Malone

15) Bajenaru

Two of these guys lived up to their billing as top prospects (Crede and Rowand) and a lot of them had tremendous minor league success (Rauch was BA's player of the year in 2000). These guys had arguably as good numbers as any of current Sox prospects. Most people thought that these guys would be the foundation to our team the next decade and only two of them were that. Sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution and be surprised if they make rather than be let down when they fail to live up to our expectatio

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
How many projected lineups this offseason did we see with Getz leading off? Sure seemed like a lot.

Well... when the available alternatives were Owens, Wise, and Lillibridge... what do you expect?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
I posted this in another thread, but it is still relevant here.

I think the reason don't want to be overly optimistic is because they have been burned before on prospects. I have followed Sox minor leaguers since 2000 and I got really excited then we had the best farm system according to baseball america. Here is the Sox's top 15 prospects following the completion of the 2000 season:

1) Rauch

2) Borchard

3) Crede

4) Ginter

5) Ginter

6) Wright

7) Barcelo

8) West

9) Rowand

10) Fogg

11) Stumm

12) Majewski

13) Liefer

14) Biddle

15) Malone

Two of these guys lived up to their billing as top prospects (Crede and Rowand) and a lot of them had tremendous minor league success (Rauch was BA's player of the year in 2000). These guys had arguably as good numbers as any of current Sox prospects. Most people thought that these guys would be the foundation to our team the next decade and only two of them were that. Sometimes it's better to err on the side of caution and be surprised if they make rather than be let down when they fail to live up to our expectatio

Matt Ginter and ? Ginter???

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
I think this site is very, very optimistic when it comes to prospects, even though the Sox have a TERRIBLE history of developing their own. I think some of the backlash toward Gartrell is from people who don't get the David Cook love. One thing people need to remember is not every prospect is supposed to be a superstar. Maybe Gartrell can come up and be a 4th outfielder. Same goes for Shelby, who's been destroying LHP this season. Getz is an example of a guy that was way too overhyped, as people were expecting a .400 OBP and 40 steals it seems like. He's a decent little player, but probably will never be near All-star caliber. That's fine though.

Whoa whoa whoa. Getz was never overhyped. He was as underhyped of a prospect as the Sox have had in a long long time and I kept telling people this guy is a good one. Getz is going to hit in the majors and he's going to have a very good major league career if a team gives him a chance. Luckily the Sox seem to see this and are giving him his chance. He's a very good baseball player and it will be proven. Now putting up a .400 OBP and 40 steals, probalby not going to happen, but I could see him get the steals and put up a .360+ OBP if all goes well and thats pretty f***ing good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
I would say absolutely not. His throws on the double plays have shown very little arm strength.

He's played 3B in the past and he could play there again. But not as a starter. In a utility role, sure, but nothing more.

He's definitely an under the radar talent who could be good in the majors. He's on pace this year for 25 HR and 100 RBI. He always sees a lot of pitches every at bat. He is actually very good defensively in RF, and he can play LF. He's for sure a typical corner outfielder, no CF. He always gives 100% and takes things seriously. He's got tremendous opposite field power, power to center and to left. He can tattoo homers, or hit ones that just keep carrying. Good all around ballplayer and has great character.

As someone how never seen him play..... do you think he is likely to succeed against Major-league pitching with his particular skill-set/approach?

Whoa whoa whoa. Getz was never overhyped. He was as underhyped of a prospect as the Sox have had in a long long time and I kept telling people this guy is a good one. Getz is going to hit in the majors and he's going to have a very good major league career if a team gives him a chance. Luckily the Sox seem to see this and are giving him his chance. He's a very good baseball player and it will be proven. Now putting up a .400 OBP and 40 steals, probalby not going to happen, but I could see him get the steals and put up a .360+ OBP if all goes well and thats pretty f***ing good.

Agreed. I don't know what fathom is talking about. Getz was virtually unknown as a prospect even during stellar '09 Spring Training.

Outside of those 2 weeks following a broken finger (Jermaine Dye would be in Intensive Care if he had to play with a broken bone), Getz has been looking like a major-leaguer.

I still think Getz needs to hit #2 in the line-up with suddenly-rebounding Ramirez as the most grindelicious Ozzie-approved #3 in the league.

Getz may not steal 40 bases but he also won't get caught 25 times (looking at you Vlad Guerrero)

I do wish Getz had a stronger arm and didn't choose a game against the Cubs to forget how to field..... but hey nobody's perfect.

Edited by Adele_H

JP, what kind of corner defense did Gartrell play? Was it adequate and did he get good reads/jumps on fly balls? I saw his lefty/righty splits and he does mash lefties quite a bit more than righties.

Edited by chisoxfan09