Brewers a Good Match

Marty34

They're selling out, made the playoffs last year and I'd assume it's at least as important to them to make the playoffs this year. With that in mind, would they deal Matt Gamel for a pckage of Contreras, Dotel, and Fields? Actually, I'd probably swap Jenks for Dotel to get the deal done.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gamel's gotta be on their on untouchables list. Though if you make a completely lopsided offer they might be forced to listen. Dye, Konerko, Contreras, any bullpen arm besides Poreda and pay part of their salaries too. Not suggesting that as the trade just who should be available off the top of my head.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Eh, I don't think it would be worth it. If he came to the AL, he would probably just be a DH since he's as bad as you can be defensively. It's not like we need another DH type with Viciedo, Flowers, and Allen.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
You want to give up Jenks, Contreras, and Fields for a 2-3 years younger version of Fields?

Gamel's lefty and has a Player of the Year award on his minor league resume recently. Jenks, Contreras, and Fields might not be enough to get him. Old pitcher, high salary , Fields worth nothing, Jenks is the only valuable piece. Now if we paid part of JC's salary it might be worth it for the Brew Crew but I doubt it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
Gamel's lefty and has a Player of the Year award on his minor league resume recently. Jenks, Contreras, and Fields might not be enough to get him. Old pitcher, high salary , Fields worth nothing, Jenks is the only valuable piece. Now if we paid part of JC's salary it might be worth it for the Brew Crew but I doubt it.

Not really sure what the Sox need would be. He's terrible defensively at 3B, and will strike out well over 100 times each year. He's going to be 24 years old in one month and is having a similar year to Josh Fields with no power and tons of strikeouts. He's completely over matched offensively and defensively right now. Will he be able to turn it around and be a solid hitting 1B/LF type? Possibly.

Now if they want to talk Dotel and someone else for Evan Anundsen, then we have a deal.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
A more realistic person the Sox would be interested in is the hard throwing, pot smoking Jeremy Jeffress.

What is wrong with him this year? His BB/9 has always been very high but this year it's insanely bad, like it makes MacDougal's numbers look like Buehrle. Is he hurt or something? He's got a huge arm though.

That is an insane amount of value for Mat Gamel. You could probably get two decent prospects each from Jenks and Contreras alone. You throw in Jeffress maybe you have a deal, but as good as Gamel could be this is not a fair return

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)

Yep, not sure Contreras, Jenks, and Fields would be enough. Replace Fields with Richard and I think you get a lot closer to a deal. Dealing Contreras, Jenks, and Richard in the near future would be the Sox dealing these guys at the top of their value and I think that's a good idea.

I don't have confidence in Richard as a member of a championship rotation in the AL. Leverage his performance so far this year into getting another piece of the core if you can. It doesn't have to be Gamel, maybe the Rangers could use this package though I suspect that they'd be more wary of these guys pitching in the AL in that ballpark.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
That is an insane amount of value for Mat Gamel. You could probably get two decent prospects each from Jenks and Contreras alone. You throw in Jeffress maybe you have a deal, but as good as Gamel could be this is not a fair return

Highly doubt you could get Gamel for Contreras and Jenks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
Why would we want Gamel? If Fields and Viciedo can't play 3rd, it's likely Beckham will play there.

1.) If Fields was in their plans at 3B, Beckham would not be playing there.

2.) Gamel is a left-handed middle-of-the-order bat. Something the Sox definitely could use.

3.) Viciedo is a corner OF'er (i.e. Carlos Lee)

4.) Sell high on Contreras and Jenks and too a lesser degree a guy like Richard. These guys are either not on the next championship Sox team or not vital to it. Basically, get the best player you can for these guys.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
Who will be our closer now and in the future if we trade Jenks? I realize relievers arms fall off (poor Soria) but cmon. Thornton is not a closer.

Thornton absolutely could be a closer. Do you realize Jenks is going to become very expensive, very soon? His effectiveness this year is way down, and I think it's pretty scary that he has not only lost a few mph on his fastball over the years (on average), but he also is struggling with his curve. Look no closer than his home run rate against for proof.

If we could get a couple top prospects for Jenks, you do it. Jenks will be looking for a whole lot of money, he's an injury risk, and his stuff has been getting less effective.

Also, there have been plenty of reports that say Houton Street is more valuable than Matt Holliday right now. And I'd say Jenks could bring more back than Street can.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
1.) If Fields was in their plans at 3B, Beckham would not be playing there.

2.) Gamel is a left-handed middle-of-the-order bat. Something the Sox definitely could use.

3.) Viciedo is a corner OF'er (i.e. Carlos Lee)

4.) Sell high on Contreras and Jenks and too a lesser degree a guy like Richard. These guys are either not on the next championship Sox team or not vital to it. Basically, get the best player you can for these guys.

I imagine the Sox would have moved Viciedo to an OF corner by now if they felt that was his future, especially with Dye probably hitting FA after this season.

If the best player the Sox can get for a guy like Richard is somebody with a similar ceiling then there is no reason to move him at all. I don't view his inclusion in the proposed Peavy deal as an indication of his actual value. The Padres are going to get far less for Peavy than what he is worth because of his contract and their desperation to deal him.

If Jenks is moved it will in all probability be because of his contract. I don't think "selling high" is a term that is applicable to Bobby Jenks, because it assumes an imminent decline. I don't see Bobby as a declining player at all, and if they have to move him, they should do it when they feel they can't pay him anymore.

I still say Contreras isn't going to be worth anything unless we eat salary or take back a bad contract in return. He was unclaimed through waivers once already and I doubt a couple starts are going to change someone's mind about picking up his contract. Seriously, what GM is going to look at 3 starts from a guy who hasn't had one mostly healthy, solid season since 2006, and then not only decide to add another $4-5M to the payroll, but also give up talent in the process?

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
I will be very disappointed in Sox management if Jenks is on this team August 1st. I don't expect him to be.

That's why if this team continues to show no upward movement away from .500 ball, they have to blow it up. I think by the end of June, if this team is more than 6 games out of 1st, changes need to happen. We have a very difficult schedule next week, as we face some terrific pitchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
The issue with Jenks is that of all the contenders, very few actually need a closer. The Phillies are w/o Lidge, but I can't see them making a huge deal with Lidge returning soon. The Brewers bullpen is ok with Hoffman back there.

Street and Valverde on the market too will lessen Jenks value. KW likes to strike early, I think now is the time to get into discussions.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Street and Valverde on the market too will lessen Jenks value. KW likes to strike early, I think now is the time to get into discussions.

Jenks will be getting a very good raise next year be it from the whitesox or someone else. If we are to get the max in return it won't be from a team that has already gone into the sell mode.