Brewers a Good Match

Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
To tell you the truth, I don't care about his glove. I'm more concerned about his bat. He's definitely made strides, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect more offensively from him at this point for the $10.5M paid. I understand his youth and adjusting to an entirely different way of life have to be factored in.

Considering he's 20, playing in the most talented level of all of the minors, and playing half of his games in one of the toughest hitters parks in all of the minors... I'd say his results are exactly what we should have realistically suspected. Of course we were hoping for a .300+ average, high teens in homers by now, etc, but realistically, with the strides he's made so far, you can't complain.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ramirez's season last year may have put some unrealistic expectations on Viciedo coming into this season.

But it'll be nice to have 2 replacements for Thome and Konerko in Allen and Viciedo ready to go possibly from the beginning of next season, if not 2012.

That'll offer KW quite a bit of payroll flexibility to go after a frontline pitcher, or a stud CF.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
I think Ramirez's season last year may have put some unrealistic expectations on Viciedo coming into this season.

I think the scouts and the beat writers might have put those expectations on the kid. After all, the first real reports we had on the kid had the words “Cuban Babe Ruth” as a primary piece.

Phillies need help in the pen big time. I don't know if they have what it takes to get Jenks, but they could be good trade partners for Dotel or Linebrink.

If the Phillies did want Jenks, I'd want Werth back in a package. Michael Taylor is another interesting guy they got in the minors who seems like a KW type of guy (plus there's the stanford connection with the two).

Also, the Cards would probably interested in a closer of Jenks' caliber. I'd try and get Brett Wallace out of them, but I doubt they are willing to give him up, especially if he can stick at 3B.

EDIT: Actually, Ryan Franklin has been pretty much lights out for them as a closer this year, so I doubt the Cards have that much interest in Jenks.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
I think the scouts and the beat writers might have put those expectations on the kid. After all, the first real reports we had on the kid had the words “Cuban Babe Ruth” as a primary piece.

I remember being unimpressed when he was first mentioned here on soxtalk a few months before he was really hyped up in the media.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
I don't know why they haven't moved him yet, maybe they wanted him to concentrate on his hitting without having to worry about a position change first year in pro ball, but I just don't see Viciedo ever being a big league third baseman.

The Brewers will be in a code red situation if they don't shore up their pitching in a hurry. They went to scout Pedro Martinez in the DR and he didn't even throw for them. They wouldn't have time to wait on him 4-6 weeks to get ready anyway. Besides that, they need multiple pitchers if they are going to stay in the race in the NL Central. Contreras and Richard might be the second and third best starters on their staff. If I were KW I'd offer those 2 + Jenks, pay Contreras' salary and see what they'd be willing to part with.

Why is there pressure on us right now to go out and trade the likes of Contreras and Jenks?

Sure, if there's just an overwhelming offer on the table, but that's not going to happen in June like it has in the past. Every GM will wait as long as possible to commit precious resources when their teams are in "iffy" positions as far as competing for a division or WC spot.

Just look at the White Sox the last week, we were only 3 GB and should have put the Cubs away to stay there...then we were on the verge of being 6 GB after giving up 5 early runs in Cincy. This team is schitzophrenic, but we're not chasing after the late 90's Indians here, it's the very much flawed Tigers. Even without having Thome to use recently and Quentin (possibly for the season), we're still in this thing.

Sure, if something crazy like getting swept by the Dodgers and Cubs AT HOME takes place, then you can start to think about moving some players like Fields. If we really believe that Poreda will never do anything but DECREASE his value from this point on at the major league level, then trade him and figure out why we have such an institutionalized "coaching failure" to turn pitching prospects with good arms into legit starting pitchers by adding secondary pitches to their arsenals. Omogrosso is another pitcher in that category, although certainly much less hyped than Aaron because of his lower draft status. It would be nice if one of our young pitchers actually developed...and we didn't have to wait another 1-2 years for the pitchers in A ball or recently promoted to BIRM to make a contribution.

I said this at the beginning of the season when seemingly there was a debate about Brian Anderson everyday, but he should have a 700+ OPS to have a spot in the line-up everyday. Otherwise, he's either a trade chip or your fourth outfielder. I'd venture that he has another 2-3 more weeks to make his case or KW will end up making another move there, like the Griffey one last year. Nix is fine in the Uribe role, and he wouldn't bring back much in trade anyway.

We all know that Ramirez has the ability to be at 700-850 even with his terrible OBP. And Getz is a rookie who's showing some nice signs of progress and comfortability at the big league level now, so shoring up the outfield by replacing Anderson and/or Wise is the first place to go.

With Jordan Danks having some wrist problems, and Mitchell and/or Shelby at least 1 1/2 seasons away from the big leagues (if they end up sticking as CFers), we really have to find a better offensive threat from that position. Pods at his advanced age has been our second most valuable outfielder offensively, so KW really got lucky there as well or things would be even worse with Owens/Wise getting more playing time.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 07:26 AM)
Phillies need help in the pen big time. I don't know if they have what it takes to get Jenks, but they could be good trade partners for Dotel or Linebrink.

If the Phillies did want Jenks, I'd want Werth back in a package. Michael Taylor is another interesting guy they got in the minors who seems like a KW type of guy (plus there's the stanford connection with the two).

Also, the Cards would probably interested in a closer of Jenks' caliber. I'd try and get Brett Wallace out of them, but I doubt they are willing to give him up, especially if he can stick at 3B.

EDIT: Actually, Ryan Franklin has been pretty much lights out for them as a closer this year, so I doubt the Cards have that much interest in Jenks.

Dotel is the guy to move-before he heads into Nick Masset/ MacDougal territory. The sox have options for replacing Dotel in Jon Link, Carlos Torres, or Omogrosso, with Poreda taking over a more important role and the other rookie coming into games with the sox down runs.

Whether it's to the Brewers, Phills etc, Dotel has decent value now. He may not in a week.