Harold Baines.

RedPinStripes

I'm glad he's retired, but i think it was real s***ty the way he went out. They had a 15 minute ceromony for Cal Ripken and gave him a seat from old comiskey where he sent the sox home with their tail between their legs in 83 while Harold just gets cut and we dont see him again.

Some say that is the way Harold wanted it. Not sure if he thinks he's ready to play still, but there should have been something for Harold. As i first became a sox fan when i was 7 and had an idea what baseball was, Harold was my idol. He's a favorite of many and i think it's s***ty that i had to sit through a game dedicated to cal ripken while Harold gets thrown away like a washed up nobody. Just another great pr move by the Sox.

The problem is, Harold never said he wanted to go. He still feels he can play at the major league level.

You can't really have a retirment ceremony when a guy isn't ready to hang it up.

Still, they aught to have a Harold Baines day this year. I'd say they could retire his number, but they already did that a few years ago.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ya know rps i brought this up a little into the season last year.... its a cryin shame the way they treat these guys........:**** kenny williams and jr.......

The thing is what can you do if the guy hasn't officially retired.

Its not like the Sox could of said hey, why don't you play another year for us even though your over the hill and need to retire.

They let him go and gave him the shot to play for another team, which is exactly what he wanted.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

The thing is what can you do if the guy hasn't officially retired.

Its not like the Sox could of said hey, why don't you play another year for us even though your over the hill and need to retire.

They let him go and gave him the shot to play for another team, which is exactly what he wanted.

no one is argueing that harold wasnt though..but when they brought him back for that last game they should have made a bigger deal out of it..if cal ripen got a seat and dirt from old comiskey harold should have gotten alot more..

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I definately agree with you about that.  They aught to have a huge ceremony, the only thing, I wonder how he'd take it, if he isn't retired.

I mean, wouldn't it be a retirement ceremony.

He may say that he hasn't retired yet...the Broncos held a retirement ceremony Terrell Davis and he has stated that he hasn't officially retired yet. Harold may say that he hasn't retired yet and still believes he can play and all that garbage, but in reality, he will know that he has hung it up.

Then maybe if JR fired KW on the spot and hired Baines as the new GM....

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh im glad harold did retire.. i just think it s***ty of management not to send him off in a nice fashion.....they should offer him a office job... maybe public relations.. would get him to talk more often if nothing else lol.........