What do you want to see from FutureSox?

danman31

We have a new layout coming out following the server switch that I think looks spectacular. Considering this will fix the problems the site has been having on Firefox, the new Safari and Google Chrome we want to make a bigger push to make the site great. We have interviews (Mitchell, Dash PR guy Collari and we're working on getting others), prospect rankings, draft updates, commentary from JPN who gets to see the Barons' first hand more than any of us and other tidbits. We're also working on/tinkering with the idea of having player profiles on the site, but we aren't completely sure how that's going to work yet.

So our question is what else do you want to see from the site? What could make it better?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
We have a new layout coming out following the server switch that I think looks spectacular. Considering this will fix the problems the site has been having on Firefox, the new Safari and Google Chrome we want to make a bigger push to make the site great. We have interviews (Mitchell, Dash PR guy Collari and we're working on getting others), prospect rankings, draft updates, commentary from JPN who gets to see the Barons' first hand more than any of us and other tidbits. We're also working on/tinkering with the idea of having player profiles on the site, but we aren't completely sure how that's going to work yet.

So our question is what else do you want to see from the site? What could make it better?

We could always link the MiLB.com player profiles from the site. If someone sees a players name listed on Future Sox, like the tags, it links to that particular player's profile. Maybe a fancy shmancy intro just for the hell of it? :D

I think a picture gallery would be interesting. I like the idea of fan-submitted pics that people could browse through. There are several good free Wordpress gallery plugins available.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
I think a picture gallery would be interesting. I like the idea of fan-submitted pics that people could browse through. There are several good free Wordpress gallery plugins available.

Not a lot of work for us....I like it.

Not right now, but a draft section that covers the whole draft, not just what the white sox are doing. There aren't many free good draft sites, and I think with the posters we have, we can get really good coverage for next year draft, and get a lot more visitors to the site who are fans of other teams.

By the way, the full feature FutureSox will probably launch by the end of the week (beautiful format if I don't say so myself). We've got a great nucleus of writers with Danny, Ernsty, JPN, Tony (our interviewer), Seven, myself and Ed Collari!!! And we are working on getting more on board.

Easily the best looking and most user friendly version of FutureSox in the history of FutureSox.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
We could always link the MiLB.com player profiles from the site. If someone sees a players name listed on Future Sox, like the tags, it links to that particular player's profile. Maybe a fancy shmancy intro just for the hell of it? :D

Or even better, instead of linking to MiLB.com player profiles it could link to FutureSox player profiles with full scouting reports, kind of like what they do at Soxprospects.com. This would obviously take some time to get done but it would be really good.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 01:38 AM)
Or even better, instead of linking to MiLB.com player profiles it could link to FutureSox player profiles with full scouting reports, kind of like what they do at Soxprospects.com. This would obviously take some time to get done but it would be really good.

Right and this is more along the lines that we were thinking of. Stats, scouting reports, a compilation of FS content. With the server also affecting the admin side of the site we haven't had the best chance to see how doable, how good and how much we can do with this concept. We'll tool around with it, but in an ideal world it would be something like what you suggested.

If you do go the player profile route, for each player don't just tell us stats. Tell us the player's talents and weaknesses. When I'm trying to learn about our system, I want to know how hard the guy is throwing and what his offspeeds are. If a guy is raking I want to know if he can field or if he has more power potential, etc. I usually look for that type of thing in the AAPs here, but oftentimes its just statistics.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
If you do go the player profile route, for each player don't just tell us stats. Tell us the player's talents and weaknesses. When I'm trying to learn about our system, I want to know how hard the guy is throwing and what his offspeeds are. If a guy is raking I want to know if he can field or if he has more power potential, etc. I usually look for that type of thing in the AAPs here, but oftentimes its just statistics.

Along those lines throw in some player comparisons, give us upside, potential. You guys are talented enough to make these assessments; you're already doing a great job.

I think a top 20-25 prospects list that is updated maybe once a week would be pretty neat. Maybe with a stock up, stock down type thing and maybe a short explanation about it. A guy like Hudson would be much higher on a list now than say a pre-season list.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I think a top 20-25 prospects list that is updated maybe once a week would be pretty neat. Maybe with a stock up, stock down type thing and maybe a short explanation about it. A guy like Hudson would be much higher on a list now than say a pre-season list.

I actually just saw the thread and was going to post the same but you beat me to it. Updated prospects lists would be really cool, imo.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)

i agree with this, i try to update my aap page when i can but i dont know much more than his stats, if theres a way to find out more about the guys that would add a completely new and awesome dimension to futuresox which is already pretty sweet

jpn's reports and the interviews are both steps towards this so kudos for that

Edited by joejoedairy

• 3 weeks later...