Cubs @ Sox 3:05 6-26

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
My biggest issue is how many hits he gives up due to playing everyone so far up the middle. If a player hits one in the hole between 3rd and SS, it's an automatic hit.

That, and by the time he backhands it and raises up his glove, it takes him awhile to get the ball out of his glove, similar to Soriano. Both have good arms, but both take ages to get the ball to the target due to not being able to find the ears on it.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
My biggest issue is how many hits he gives up due to playing everyone so far up the middle. If a player hits one in the hole between 3rd and SS, it's an automatic hit.

i say give beckham a few starts at SS with Josh at 3B - Lexi needs a head clearing benching.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
Might be time to pull Contreras. 90 pitches in this weather and with a possible back injury is enough for him. Don't want to ruin any potential trade value either.

Don't get too down Fathom. I know you still feel we can win this thing so trading someone isn't really the answer

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Lineup will look significantly better tomorrow with 2 more lefties in it. I'd also love to see Ozzie shake things up and move Alexei down in the order to try and put him into a more run-producing role.

Pods LF

AJ C

Dye RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Ramirez SS

Wise CF

Getz 2B

Beckham 3B

??

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
Don't get too down Fathom. I know you still feel we can win this thing so trading someone isn't really the answer

I'm from the KW school where you can trade and still try to compete. I absolutely, positively would get rid of Contreras the second a decent offer came in.

I just remember hearing all spring, "Wait til you see Alexei at SS." So far, I think I'd rather have OC back at SS. And am starting to think that we shouldn't move Beckham away from SS just to accomodate Alexei, should be the other way.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)
That, and by the time he backhands it and raises up his glove, it takes him awhile to get the ball out of his glove, similar to Soriano. Both have good arms, but both take ages to get the ball to the target due to not being able to find the ears on it.

Which is why Alexei has been BRUTAL turning double plays also. Getz and Alexei have worse timing than any DP combo on the southside I've seen.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
But...it's his first year in the majors as a SS, so it's alright.

Honestly his lazy throws, his ability to make easy plays into tough ones, and his lack of concentration is getting really old.

He's like Juan Uribe in the field. Makes lazy throws and looks like an idiot sometimes.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
I just remember hearing all spring, "Wait til you see Alexei at SS." So far, I think I'd rather have OC back at SS. And am starting to think that we shouldn't move Beckham away from SS just to accomodate Alexei, should be the other way.

Um, Ozzie basically said he was wrong yesterday. Of course, I'm waiting to see Jose's cutter from the spring.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
He's like Juan Uribe in the field. Makes lazy throws and looks like an idiot sometimes.

Juan Uribe is much better in the field at SS then Alexei is. I think we all can agree on that, yes?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Which is why Alexei has been BRUTAL turning double plays also. Getz and Alexei have worse timing than any DP combo on the southside I've seen.

Exactly. You and I finally agree on something.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I'm from the KW school where you can trade and still try to compete. I absolutely, positively would get rid of Contreras the second a decent offer came in.

Ditto.

That had to be the most impressive looking 5-run (3 HR) outings I have seen out of a Sox pitcher since Javy Vazquez.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
As Fox always been a stocky/big guy? Looking at his career minor league stats, he was never anything special.

Not saying or accusing, just saying.

He's on the same offseason diet that Soto was last year. I'm not kidding, they both credited the same program.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
He's on the same offseason diet that Soto was last year. I'm not kidding, they both credited the same program.

Protein and needles? I mean protein and vegetables?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Juan Uribe is much better in the field at SS then Alexei is. I think we all can agree on that, yes?

I watch more baseball than a human should, and there are/were no active shortstops better than Uribe.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

What the? From what I've seen, he actually overplays the hole and is too deep at SS, ESPECIALLY in DP situations, as Hawk and Stone have mentioned.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)

OC sucks s*** this year, no thanks. .243/.289/.313, .602 OPS. No hot streaks either, he's been consistently bad.

Do any of you honestly believe that the Sox can bring a player here that can help? I'd love Holliday. The Quentin rumors that he might not be 100% again this year don't sound too refreshing, and Holliday would be a LF rental anyways. Hopefully by that time, the Sox aren't 17.5 out.

Said it many times. That up the middle combo needs that communication on the field. You can't do that with a guy who speaks little english. I still see a Slayer-Getz combo next year, despite what Ozzie says about Alexei's SS abilities.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Lineup will look significantly better tomorrow with 2 more lefties in it. I'd also love to see Ozzie shake things up and move Alexei down in the order to try and put him into a more run-producing role.

Because it worked so well earlier this year?