Corky Miller Traded

BigSqwert

Reds acquired from the White Sox minor league C Corky Miller in exchange for minor league OF Norris Hopper...Miller this season appeared in 14g for the White Sox and 4g for Class AAA Charlotte...he will report to Class AAA Louisville...Hopper has spent the entire season with Louisville.

Miller, 33, spent four seasons with the Reds (01-04). He's a career .179 hitter in 374 major-league at-bats.

LINK

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
Norris Hopper is a career .316 hitter in the big leagues.

And he's younger than Dewayne Wise.

Sweet, what a find!

(Ignoring the 10/50 line he put up last year)

true story here:

last year i was watching a reds game with a buddy of mine who's a reds fan. hopper came in the game and i rightly asked: "who the heck is norris hopper."

his answer: "this year's dewayne wise."

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Hopper is a good fifth outfielder, AAAA guy, good baserunner and good range in the OF, bad pitch recognition to make contact and a below average arm, like Juan Pierre without the ability to slap the ball.

Finally, there was no reason to keep Miller in Charlotte. Once again, David Cook is denied.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
Finally, there was no reason to keep Miller in Charlotte. Once again, David Cook is denied.

I have not followed the minor league system that closely to understand why there are so many calling for David Cook to get promoted. He is a 28 year old AA player batting .249, looks like he has some pop but so did Joe Borchard. I am not trying to flame, just curious.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
I have not followed the minor league system that closely to understand why there are so many calling for David Cook to get promoted. He is a 28 year old AA player batting .249, looks like he has some pop but so did Joe Borchard. I am not trying to flame, just curious.

Well, he's been in AA all season when he should have been in AAA all year to this point. Every time we think he's going up, someone else does or is acquired.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
Castro's older than AJ; what do you think?

He's a veteran who the pitchers like and he can hit, so maybe. But I think because of his salary he'll be gone after the year. We won't offer him arb and he'll end up signing for near the minimum elsewhere.

And actually, if the Sox do blow this thing up, he's a candidate to get moved anyway since the Mets are paying his salary.

My favorite Corky memory was his 3 K's swinging against Halladay at the game I attended. The Blue Jays fans loved him as he contributed 3 of the necessary 7 k's for free pizza the next day. The Blue Jays fans also did the wave... a lot.