Corky Miller Traded

BigSqwert

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
Perhaps they do it to keep warm.

I imagine they are accustomed to doing it to entertain themselves since the Jays play in the East. Then again during this game they were in 1st place, and they still were doing it. I think Canadians just love the wave... they were doing it during Summerslam when I went in 2004 as well (then again, it was a s***ty JBL/Undertaker match).

But don't let me derail this important thread about our traded companion, RIP Corkaroo.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
He's a veteran who the pitchers like and he can hit, so maybe. But I think because of his salary he'll be gone after the year. We won't offer him arb and he'll end up signing for near the minimum elsewhere.

And actually, if the Sox do blow this thing up, he's a candidate to get moved anyway since the Mets are paying his salary.

If we blow it up, I see Pierzynski as the likely trade candidate with Castro as the guy staying to be the vet leadership with Flowers as the catcher.

I think Dony Lucy has a chance to be a solid backup catcher in the future. Not much of a hitter, but from what I've heard, read and the little I've seen, he seems like a really smart player who's very good defensively, and JPN always says he's tough as nails. I can live with a weak hitting backup catcher if they play really good defense and don't play more than 1/5 of the games.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 03:21 AM)
If we blow it up, I see Pierzynski as the likely trade candidate with Castro as the guy staying to be the vet leadership with Flowers as the catcher.

I think Dony Lucy has a chance to be a solid backup catcher in the future. Not much of a hitter, but from what I've heard, read and the little I've seen, he seems like a really smart player who's very good defensively, and JPN always says he's tough as nails. I can live with a weak hitting backup catcher if they play really good defense and don't play more than 1/5 of the games.

If Flowers is our starting catcher, we should do our best to find a lefty hitting back-up catcher. Lucy is terrible..he makes Corky Miller look like a good hitter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
If Flowers is our starting catcher, we should do our best to find a lefty hitting back-up catcher. Lucy is terrible..he makes Corky Miller look like a good hitter.

I'll bet AJ Pierzynski will be available in 2 years.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)

I think it would be an enormous mistake to call up a catcher who is not ready to catch in the big leagues. Enormous might even be undercutting it.

There's no reason not to have Flowers on a trajectory for Opening Day 2011. If he makes major strides behind the plate and is capable of at least being an average defensive backup by mid-2010 then maybe call him up then. We have zero reason to rush Flowers here unless we are converting him to a 1B/DH. I also feel the same way about Viciedo.

I'm fine with calling up some relievers, also Danks and Allen if we have spots to play them every day. I'm fine calling up CJ too if we trade a couple IF somewhere along the way and have an opening for a UT man. It would be nice to see Cook take Wise's spot also in the event of a blow up. However, the rest of our guys we really need to take our time with.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)

If Flowers is our starter this year then we need to bludgeon Kenny first and foremost. The guy should come up when he's ready behind the plate. Paying him service time to learn how to play the field at the Major League level is not a very smart, because by the time he's good enough to be an asset we'll have to start thinking about extensions, and that's only if it all goes well. If he comes up and doesn't hit right away and provides bad defense, and hurts his pitchers in the process, he'll get thrown under the bus by Ozzie, ripped in the press, and benched. We've all seen this s*** before.

The whole thing is a horrible idea. Flowers can't come up this soon. It's setting him up for failure along with wasting service time and options all for the sake of some offense during a bad season.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 04:25 AM)
getting hopper back is nice, honestly i think he could out produce BA and DWise

Hopper seems like the versatile type of 4th/ 5th OFer who could make Wise expendable-even though he hits righty. Hopper has had a lot of sacrifice hits in his minor league career [shows he can bunt] and a fair amount of stolen bases. He's also been able to hit .316 and have an OBP of .367 in his 396 major league AB's. He's no starter. But seems a capable backup. Not sure of his defense, though.

Regarding the earlier questions about the David Cook... the interest in him is pretty simple IMO. He's hit pretty well the last few years and he can play CF. Given the problems the Sox have had with people who could do both of those things simultaneously, it seems logical that his name would pop up on the radar.

He absolutely destroyed Southern League pitching last year. Killed it. Best overall offensive player in the league.

This year he started out horribly, but since he has looked much better. He currently leads the Southern League in homeruns (15) and RBIs (51) in 225 at-bats and his OBP on the season is up to .362.

So, he may be nothing more than a AAAA type of player... true... but who knows? Given the fact that we continually gave shots to Owens and now to Wise, why not try a guy who's got pop in his bat... and Cook has serious power. And he's younger than Owens.

Seems like somebody ought to give him a look.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
We have zero reason to rush Flowers here unless we are converting him to a 1B/DH. I also feel the same way about Viciedo.

Well, I'm not so sure the White Sox signed Viciedo to a $10+ million deal to have him sit in the minors for several years. Basically, we'd have paid him $7 million to spend 2+ years in the minors and then come up to the White Sox when he is ready, give us 1+ good year and then hit the FA market where he gets paid a ton by the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox. Bring him up...there is no arbitration clock on the guy.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Well, I'm not so sure the White Sox signed Viciedo to a $10+ million deal to have him sit in the minors for several years. Basically, we'd have paid him $7 million to spend 2+ years in the minors and then come up to the White Sox when he is ready, give us 1+ good year and then hit the FA market where he gets paid a ton by the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox. Bring him up...there is no arbitration clock on the guy.

The White Sox have stated that they have control over Ramirez and Viciedo for 6 years.