ozzie

C_LEE45

Oz wasn't pleased with AJ's at bat today, though he doesn't seem as angry as the headline on this article: "White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen criticizes A.J. Pierzynski's at bat"

From the Trib's excellent writer, Gonzalez:

“Bad at-bat,” Guillen said about five hours after praising Pierzynski for his clutch hitting and catching all 13 innings of Thursday’s victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“(Pierzynski came off) the bench. He might have been looking for a breaking ball, but the breaking ball wasn’t a strike, and it ended up the wrong way for us.”

AJ's take: “I was looking for a pitch up, and he threw me a high curveball,” Pierzynski said. “He’s known for having a good breaking ball. I hit it hard and hit it right at the wrong guy. I hit it three feet to the left or three feet to the right, and we are shaking hands right now.

“I hit it to him, and what can you do. Pinch-hitting is tough. Marshall has a good curveball and he threw it high. Look at the replay. It’s high, right down the middle. I hit it good. Sometimes stuff happens.”

I agree. s*** happens. I was feeling good when AJ stepped to the plate. Just think how happy we'd be if he lined that pitch over the first baseman's head.

Marmol's complete garbabe, I would have preferred the Castro-Marmol matchup but you really can't fault Ozzie for putting in AJ in that situation. The move that still makes me shake my head is pinch hitting Fields for Beckham. I don't understand that one at all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)
But why did it have to be a catcher in that position?

Ozzie has always done that. Can you even remember a time where he put in a pinch hitter that plays a different position than the player he's hitting for? I really can't.

It was another horrible move by Ozzie against the Cubs. Marmol was shaky at best, and it would have been a nice way for Castro to contribute something to the team. As it is, he's probably wondering why the heck we traded for him, since he hasn't played at all.

So far, I consider Ozzie to have lost both Cubs games with bad managing moves. We should be 4-0 against them.

Ozzie should have some good quotes after the game unless he wants to low-key it to make sure we're fired up Sunday.

Pinch hitting for Beckham on Friday; seeing him come of age and beat the Cubs Saturday. He may have some glowing words for Beckham in the press.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
It was another horrible move by Ozzie against the Cubs. Marmol was shaky at best, and it would have been a nice way for Castro to contribute something to the team. As it is, he's probably wondering why the heck we traded for him, since he hasn't played at all.

So far, I consider Ozzie to have lost both Cubs games with bad managing moves. We should be 4-0 against them.

It's Ozzie's fault Getz botched a routine play and Linebrink took a big wet dump in his pants last week?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)

Haha, then lets thank god you aren't in charge of anything with the Sox org.