Something ever get the best of you.....

WilliamTell

I've been running our church's softball team for 5 years now, I started when I was 19. Last year we won the championship, but finished 2nd in the regular season. Tonight we played the only team that beat us last year and we won 13-12 in extra innings. Instead of feeling great and like a winner I feel terrible and like a loser because of the way I acted tonight. We were missing some of our big players so I was already in a tense mood but I offended at least a few players tonight. I know I hurt two people's feelings and I feel tremendously bad about it. I already talked to one person, and called and left a message to the other. In fact I've called everyone but three people so far. I'm planning on apologizing to them on Sunday or maybe even calling them tomorrow. But it got me thinking, I might be too passionate about softball. I know I acted like a jerk around my family in 2006, the year after the Sox won the World Series because I expected the best from the Sox again. As the defending champs in softball I expect the best again but I easily crossed the line tonight.

I was wondering how people have crossed the line, and how did they change their ways and attempt to reconcile.

I know it's really easy to get competitive when playing sports (trust me, I care too much about intramurals at school), but church league softball is something I can't get mad about when losing. No doubt I love to win, but if I lose, it's like "oh well..." I helped coach my church's youth group team for 2 summers and one of my best friends who was the head coach was way too into it. I was there for comedic relief to counterpart his seriousness. And I'd always do things like yell "swing away" (in a joking manner; obviously high school kids are old enough to know how to play softball) when our batter had a 3-0 count and stuff like that, and my buddy would get so mad at me. Anyway, it's good that you're apologizing and I'm sure whatever you did will be okay after you address the situation with your players.

Speaking of softball, this is Jim Rome's take on "softball guy." And as much as I hate Jim Rome, he's spot on will his analysis. If anyone hasn't heard this, it's hilarious...

Edited by dasox24

Basically every team we play is a friendly game in the name of God, but with this team it never is. Most of the people I talked to said they had no problem with anything I did tonight, and nobody was upset with me except for one girl, whether only one is true or not I'm not sure. What I did was had someone pinch run for our slowest player and she had her feelings hurt because of that. It might not seem like a big deal, but she was "humiliated" about that, according to her. My brother and I got into a brotherly argument and there was a lot of yelling. And a little arguing with the other team occurred. What it all comes down to is I'm just ashamed that I put winning ahead of personal relationships in church softball. It's supposed to be fun and I didn't make it that way tonight.

Church softball is much different than the Park District leagues I play in(in regards to pretty much everything, sportsmanship, playing to win, etc), but when I fill in on my buddies Co-ed team there is more of the "this is all in good fun" spirit.

Apologizing is your only way to start, and from that point you have to show it won't happen again. I had to kick one guy off my team last week for complete and total apathy, and I just about had to kick my good friend off my Mens league team for some sh** he pulled this past thursday, and having that conversation with him was not fun, so I can sympathize with you in having to deal with a crappy situation.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 03:55 AM)
Basically every team we play is a friendly game in the name of God, but with this team it never is. Most of the people I talked to said they had no problem with anything I did tonight, and nobody was upset with me except for one girl, whether only one is true or not I'm not sure. What I did was had someone pinch run for our slowest player and she had her feelings hurt because of that. It might not seem like a big deal, but she was "humiliated" about that, according to her. My brother and I got into a brotherly argument and there was a lot of yelling. And a little arguing with the other team occurred. What it all comes down to is I'm just ashamed that I put winning ahead of personal relationships in church softball. It's supposed to be fun and I didn't make it that way tonight.

If it wasn't church softball, I see nothing wrong with how you acted... however, considering it was church softball, yeah, maybe a little overboard.

I don't think you did anything wrong. If you guys keep standings and even differentiate between regular and post season, there is obviously some level of competition. Jesus would've benched her ass too

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 07:48 AM)
NSS hurts my feelings every game in our church softball league.

He is such an angry man.

He posted somethign about if you, by some miracle, ever manage to get on base he's bringing in a pinch runner ASAP.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
I was wondering how people have crossed the line, and how did they change their ways and attempt to reconcile.

I was being kind of a jerk at work the other day, no yelling or anything, just criticizing too much. I feel kind of bad about it now. I'm not gonna apologize, but I'll make an effort to be extra nice for a bit.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
I don't think you did anything wrong. If you guys keep standings and even differentiate between regular and post season, there is obviously some level of competition. Jesus would've benched her ass too

LOL

I once threatened to kick my wife off our bowling team for saying it's only a game and we're there to have fun.

I replied if we're playing for fun, why in f***ing hell was anyone keeping score!!

The other guy agreed.

I may sound like a jerk, but after a few days since, I'm more happy about the win than upset that 2 or 3 people were mad at me. We have two church teams in two different leagues. The team I manage is the more competitive league, and if they don't like it they can always play on the other team. But none the less I'm going to make sure I act more appropriate.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all.

It sounds like that girl needs to learn more about baseball/softball if she doesn't like being pulled for a punch-runner. Just tell her you pulled her like the Sox used to pull Carl Everett and the Twins used to pull Matt Lecroy.