Mark DeRosa Traded to the Cards

beautox

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. DeRosa will likely play 3B for them and really help out their offense... and hopefully he'll help kill the cubs.

Chris Perez was one of their better prospects/young pitchers though, so they had to pay a decent price for DeRosa, but good deal for the Cards.

His source is Baseball Tonight. I haven't seen it anywhere else but there.

This makes me laugh though all the praise the cubs fans have put upon him and now they have to hate them.

Edited by kev211

This is going to be f'ing hilarious.

This about as equal as Aaron Rowand being traded to the Twins for us.

Because I think it's very easy to compare DeRosa to Rowand since they're both white, grindy, and the fans of their respective teams still love them even though they're on different teams.

If Rowand came back in a Giants uniform, Sox fans would give him a standing O too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
I told you guys it wouldn't be the Cubs. They can't add a damned penny in payroll right now.

This is very true, and it surprises me how even now, so few people realize this. But man, DeRosa to the Cardinals, that is absolutely delicious. That and the way the Cubs lost today put together means it's an awful day to be a Cubs fan. Well check that, EVERY day is an awful day to be a Cubs fan, but today is even worse than usual.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)
Chris Perez had a few shots in the show and didn't really show much. Cards stole DeRosa.

Bet PTBNL is Barden or someone like that.

I like the trade for both teams. The Cardinals were dealing from a position of strength. They've got plenty of quality RF relief. I don't think it was a case of them giving up on Perez. He's only 23 and has filthy stuff. His K/9 rates have always been impressive. His problem has always been walks. If he can ever get his BB/9 down, the Indians will have landed a serious young stud (with closer potential).

OT: I love how Cubs fans are ripping Jim Hendry to shreds over this deal. I think Hendry is a below average GM. But what the hell could he have offered Cleveland that would've topped Chris Perez? And we don't even know who the PTBNL is.

Cardinals may not be done.

Yahoo Sports!

Cardinals to make pitch for Oakland's Holliday?Unhappy with the offensive production from their outfield, the St. Louis Cardinals intend to intensify efforts to acquire Oakland A's left fielder Matt Holliday(notes), team and other sources, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Reluctant to commit a multi-player package to the Colorado Rockies for Holliday last November, the Cardinals are now open to sending a similar package to Oakland for the 2007 National League batting champion. Such a package would probably include right fielder Ryan Ludwick(notes) and either reliever Jason Motte(notes), Chris Perez(notes) or Kyle McClellan(notes), plus a prospect.

According to the Post-Dispatch, Holliday, 29, is a pending free agent who especially intrigued manager Tony La Russa as protection for his increasingly exposed first baseman, Albert Pujols(notes).

Ludwick, Ankiel and Chris Duncan(notes) have groped for consistency much of this season, with Ludwick and Duncan serving as La Russa's most frequent cleanup hitters.

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Related: Matt Holliday, Albert Pujols, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Cardinals

If the Cardinals can trade Ludwick now, they should do it. He has been pretty bad since coming off DL.

And I had Chris Perez and Matt Perez mixed up in my previous post.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
I like the trade for both teams. The Cardinals were dealing from a position of strength. They've got plenty of quality RF relief. I don't think it was a case of them giving up on Perez. He's only 23 and has filthy stuff. His K/9 rates have always been impressive. His problem has always been walks. If he can ever get his BB/9 down, the Indians will have landed a serious young stud (with closer potential).

OT: I love how Cubs fans are ripping Jim Hendry to shreds over this deal. I think Hendry is a below average GM. But what the hell could he have offered Cleveland that would've topped Chris Perez? And we don't even know who the PTBNL is.

Blasting Hendry for this deal is just stupid. The complete lack of ownership direction means that without a third team to dump payroll on, the Cubs couldn't makea deal for DeRosa. There was no chance that Cleveland was going to wait around for that, plus they got at least one solid arm for that horrible pen out of the deal.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
If the Cardinals get Holliday and Carpenter stays healthy, they immediately become the favorites in the NL...maybe in baseball...to win it all.

They desperately need Lohse back, as Wellemeyer has been a disaster in their rotation this season.