Mark DeRosa Traded to the Cards

beautox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Blasting Hendry for this deal is just stupid. The complete lack of ownership direction means that without a third team to dump payroll on, the Cubs couldn't makea deal for DeRosa. There was no chance that Cleveland was going to wait around for that, plus they got at least one solid arm for that horrible pen out of the deal.

if I were a Cubs fan I would be mad that DeRosa was traded to the Indians in the first place and replaced with the bums that they got(Bradley and Miles). There is no doubt in my mind that DeRosa would be the starting 2B right now and they probably never would have missed a beat when Aramis went down.

But blasting him for not reacquiring DeRosa is pretty dumb. His hands are tied now, there is nothing he can do if the money doesnt match up

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
if I were a Cubs fan I would be mad that DeRosa was traded to the Indians in the first place and replaced with the bums that they got(Bradley and Miles). There is no doubt in my mind that DeRosa would be the starting 2B right now and they probably never would have missed a beat when Aramis went down.

But blasting him for not reacquiring DeRosa is pretty dumb. His hands are tied now, there is nothing he can do if the money doesnt match up

Yeah and Jim Hendry is one of those guys who needs money to make some relevant deals.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Cardinals may not be done.

Yahoo Sports!

If the Cardinals can trade Ludwick now, they should do it. He has been pretty bad since coming off DL.

And I had Chris Perez and Matt Perez mixed up in my previous post.

Ludwick is under control for another two seasons. He'll get his stroke back. He was hitting pretty well before he went on the DL. You don't lose all your baseball skills just because you go on the DL for two weeks.

I don't think Holliday would be more than a one year rental for St. Louis so they would be giving up a lot in the deal.

If the Cards are playing for this year, alright do it. Ludwick is by no means untouchable, but I just think the Cards need to go after somebody who might be more than a one year rental given their cheap ownership as of late.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)

The first part of that would be fair. All though if Bradley were doing anything close to what he usually hit, the DeRosa talk wouldn't be going on.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
If the Cardinals get Holliday and Carpenter stays healthy, they immediately become the favorites in the NL...maybe in baseball...to win it all.

I'd still go with the Dodgers. With a healthy Manny they really don't have a legitimate weakness. I also expect the Phillies to make a move for starting pitching. They've got a pretty loaded farm. So I see something happening with them soon.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
Nice shot in the balls to the Cubs by the Cards. Cards should stay in the race for a bit, but ultimately, the Cubs and the Brewers are the better teams. We’ll see how far Dave Duncan can take them.

I do not know. That Cubs team looks very flawed from what I have seen of them. Not sure they really have the edge this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 05:03 PM)
He's going to get paid like a superstar this offseason, and he's nowhere near being a superstar.

Bringing in infielders is not where I want our money spent right now if we have any to spend. We have more young infielders to develop than we have spots for them to play.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Can someone explain to me why so much press about Derosa getting traded? The guy has only played 140+ games twice in his career, never more than 87 rbi's, never hit 300...

what is the fascination with him?

Joe Crede syndrome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
Joe Crede syndrome.

More like Aaron Rowand syndrome.

Rowand has had two good offensive seasons in his career and yet we all love him.

Gotta love the white guys who try hard and play good defense.

Can someone explain to me why so much press about Derosa getting traded? The guy has only played 140+ games twice in his career, never more than 87 rbi's, never hit 300...

Derosa is actually a pretty damn good player. His 3-year averages from 2006-2008 are .291/.368/.453/.820. He's sporting an .857 OPS in the last month or so after a slow start. He a little below average defensively at 3B while being a little above average in the OF. He makes a good team (by at least NL Central standards) a lot better.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
More like Aaron Rowand syndrome.

Rowand has had two good offensive seasons in his career and yet we all love him.

Gotta love the white guys who try hard and play good defense.

Rowand has a .799 career OPS, just a couple ticks below Torii Hunter's mark. His OPS+ is also 105 compared to Hunter's 107. Hunter is obviously the better fielder over his career, though.

Anyway, I was a Rowand detractor, but a near-.800 OPS from a centerfielder is pretty danged good. Another comparison: Venon Wells .804/107

Edited by JorgeFabregas

In Chicago it's because he was popular with the Cubs fans and then they traded him basically so they could sign Bradley, so it's a big deal for Cubs fans

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Rowand has a .799 career OPS, just a couple ticks below Torii Hunter's mark. His OPS+ is also 105 compared to Hunter's 107. Hunter is obviously the better fielder over his career, though.

Anyway, I was a Rowand detractor, but a near-.800 OPS from a centerfielder is pretty danged good. Another comparison: Venon Wells .804/107

Outside of a couple of years, Torii Hunter's been a mediocre offensive player who is overrated almost every single year. Same goes for Rowand.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
I dont care what his career averages are, DeRosa was a huge part of the success of the previous 2 years for the Cubs, and he has been just as good this year for the Indians.

he is a huge asset for a NL team as well because he can play many positions and be OK there defensively

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
I'd still go with the Dodgers. With a healthy Manny they really don't have a legitimate weakness. I also expect the Phillies to make a move for starting pitching. They've got a pretty loaded farm. So I see something happening with them soon.

They play in a division with 1 good team, 1 medicore team, and 2 horrible teams. I'll take my chances with a Holliday-ful Cardinals.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
The Indians sure got a great player in return for DeRosa. The guy only has an arm. Absolutely zero control.

He's still young, so it'll be a wait and see thing with Perez. However, he does have a great arm.

Also, Stone said the PTBNL is a good prospect.

I'm actually confused as to why DeRosa has been considered as such a great option, yet Teahen has not...

Mark DeRosa: 34 years old, right-handed, makes $5.5M, free agent after this year...

derosa.jpg

Mark Teahen: 27 years old, left-handed, makes $3.5M, free agent after 2011...

teahen.jpg

The only clear difference is RBI. You can blame that on the Royals crappy "offense"...

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:59 AM)
I'm actually confused as to why DeRosa has been considered as such a great option, yet Teahen has not...

Mark DeRosa: 34 years old, right-handed, makes $5.5M, free agent after this year...

derosa.jpg

teahen.jpg

The only clear difference is RBI. You can blame that on the Royals crappy "offense"...

I dont think Teahen is a bad option at all. Its all about visibility, Teahen has been in relative obscurity for his entire career on the Royals, and DeRosa succeeded in a pretty demanding atmosphere and was generally known as the "glue" of the team.

But I wouldnt say no to Teahen, not at all

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:59 AM)

derosa.jpg

teahen.jpg

You're starting to hear his name a little in trade talks, I believe MLBN linked him to SF as a possability