Knee Surgery or injuries

bigruss

So I recently injured my knee playing basketball, I was running for the ball and when I reached for it my left kneecap area felt like a pop and collapsed on me. Well, after urgent care and talking to an orthopedist, I will be getting an MRI to see what is up with it. But the orthopedist was saying it did not look like a sprain that I could just use physical therapy for, and will probably require surgery, possible multiple surgeries.

So my question is, anybody have knee surgery and can share some experiences with recovery time and such?

I had my left knee scoped for starburst Chondromalacia (I am probably horribly misspelling that). 3 months recovery to normal, only a couple days off my feet, wasn't bad at all. But that isn't an injury per se, it was a chronic build up.

If it was just a mild sprain or something, my only advice is, avoid the surgery like the Doc says, do the PT, and make sure you really stretch out before being active on it for a while.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
So I recently injured my knee playing basketball, I was running for the ball and when I reached for it my left kneecap area felt like a pop and collapsed on me. Well, after urgent care and talking to an orthopedist, I will be getting an MRI to see what is up with it. But the orthopedist was saying it did not look like a sprain that I could just use physical therapy for, and will probably require surgery, possible multiple surgeries.

So my question is, anybody have knee surgery and can share some experiences with recovery time and such?

My wife just went to the doc and found out that she popped her ACL...again...for the FIFTH TIME! So, I've kinda learned from her. I think, depending on the severity, I think the worst would be a 6 week recovery time and then continued physical therapy for awhile. If it's just arthroscopic, I think it's a bit shorter recovery time. Good luck and I hope it's nothing too severe, Big Russ.

My MRI is in 5 hours or so, and I have another appointment tomorrow with the orthopedist to find out what is going on and the plan of action.

Theres still a slight possibility its just a sprain, and Im keeping my fingers crossed for that, but Im trying to brace myself for surgery at the same time, not scared of it (though it would be my first) just more pissed that I wouldnt be able to play sports for awhile, as I play as much as I can.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm pretty sure you must have torn your ACL/MCL/Miniscus or a combination of those.

Would an ACL or MCL pop in the knee? I thought it was lower like near the ankle. The miniscus is a very real possibility as the urgent care doctor was thinking that could be strained or something, but he mentioned only PT for it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
All of those ligaments I mentioned are in the knee area. Do you have bruising down your jointline (ie, running down your leg. And most importantly when they did tests on your knee and pulled and twisted your leg, did it hurt like hell?

No bruises down leg, and no pain when they pulled and twisted leg. All the pain is located in the kneecap region, specifically on the top of the kneecap (or front, hard to describe, but if laying down it would be the highest point). There is alot of swelling around the upper part of the knee cap too. If it is just a strain they can drain the fluid and start PT.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
I had my ACL ruptured and my PCL stretched out so bad my hamstring had to be screwed to the side of my knee to stabilize it. All from a football injury...took a helmet directly into the knee.

Ouch! Well I dont think mine is that bad, I have a feeling its more with the joints.

How long did it take you to recover? I mean, that sounds nasty!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
Ouch! Well I dont think mine is that bad, I have a feeling its more with the joints.

How long did it take you to recover? I mean, that sounds nasty!

It took about 9 months total. I was on crutches for about a month.. that is what sucked the most. They didn't want me walking too soon due to the hamstring.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
It took about 9 months total. I was on crutches for about a month.. that is what sucked the most. They didn't want me walking too soon due to the hamstring.

Wow. I totally understand the crutches part, I was sick of them within a day, luckily I can put enough weight on my leg to walk, and crutches are just if I need the support now.

So how is you flexibility/range of motion now? Do you feel like you are close to where you were before in terms of physical activity (like you can go play football with friends without concerns)?

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Was your knee cap displaced at all? Or did you hear the pop or more so feel a pop?

More like felt a pop, and then a collapse. But X-rays showed that the knee cap was still in place.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Wow. I totally understand the crutches part, I was sick of them within a day, luckily I can put enough weight on my leg to walk, and crutches are just if I need the support now.

So how is you flexibility/range of motion now? Do you feel like you are close to where you were before in terms of physical activity (like you can go play football with friends without concerns)?

Yeah I am about were I was before it happened. I do get sore and it lets me know when weather is coming lol. Mentally, it takes a lot longer to get over it I think.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
More like felt a pop, and then a collapse. But X-rays showed that the knee cap was still in place.

I would be willing to bet you ruptured the ACL or PCL then. Which will require surgery. They are very common and aren't really that bad. IMO As long as you have a good doctor that is.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
No bruises down leg, and no pain when they pulled and twisted leg. All the pain is located in the kneecap region, specifically on the top of the kneecap (or front, hard to describe, but if laying down it would be the highest point). There is alot of swelling around the upper part of the knee cap too. If it is just a strain they can drain the fluid and start PT.

Maybe you dislocated the knee cap or something?

As I mentioned, I got X-rays on my knee and they found that the bones were in place, but maybe the MRI will show that the knee cap is dislocated more than the x-rays showed. I dunno, but Ill find out in a few hours what is going on when I meet with the orthopedist again with the MRI photos. Im anxious to find out what it is.

I had osgoodslatus (sp?) in high school. I was a track star and baseball/basketball player. Felt a pop in gym class running laps after years of running. Needless to say my track coach was pissed at my gym teacher. :lol: I believe that is a slight fracture in the knee cap (both of my knees actually, usually for athletes) if I remember correctly. I can still run, but not for a long time as before anymore and not as fast. Part of my draft slurge for baseball from a couple years back. I coulda been something special dammit! :(

Just got back, it is indeed a torn ACL. I opted to have the replacement made from a cadaver, risking infection (obviously they check the body to make sure its clean but theres always a risk) instead of the normal making it from your own tendons. This means half the recovery time, which I will need since I am going back to college soon and wont have a car to go to PT. I had a ton of swelling, so they emptied about 4 syringes of blood, it was disgusting. Surgery will probably be next week.

Thanks guys for all the comments about your thoughts and experiences, I appreciate it alot.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Just got back, it is indeed a torn ACL. I opted to have the replacement made from a cadaver, risking infection (obviously they check the body to make sure its clean but theres always a risk) instead of the normal making it from your own tendons. This means half the recovery time, which I will need since I am going back to college soon and wont have a car to go to PT. I had a ton of swelling, so they emptied about 4 syringes of blood, it was disgusting. Surgery will probably be next week.

Thanks guys for all the comments about your thoughts and experiences, I appreciate it alot.

Good luck to you and rehab like a mad man!

I had ortho on both knees. The left knee wasn't bad, apparently they just had to 'clean some stuff up', or so I was told. My right one I blew out pretty good. Was going to try and dunk a ball in an intramural basketball game and hit a loose floorboard. KNee cap was way off to the right and it messed up everything in there. And with only 10 seconds left in the game, too. Had the surgery, and was back playnig volleyball in 2 months. Although now it hurts like hell going up and down stairs (20 years later), and makes a crinkling sound like tin foil.