6/29 Game Thread Sox @ Cleveland

knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
I was tempted to say bring back Juan Uribe to play 3B with Beckham moving over to SS...then Getz comes through with another huge clutch hit. He plays above average defense and has very good speed, better to have this problem I suppose than having to play Owens/Russell/Wasserman/Fields/Andy Gonzalez, that's for sure.

For Getz though, he can do the little things to help you win and that's big. Bunt, steal, hit and run, he's fundamentally strong. I also think he can play some SS and 3B if needed be, sure not gonna get a gun there, but he would be able to field there. He's def. a guy you want on your roster, maybe not starting, but def. on the bench.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
You mean Wise is the CF of our future?

If anyone would have said we'd be competitive still with Anderson/Wise in CF, Gordon Beckham being forced to come up from the minors and Carlos Quentin on the shelf for much of the first half, I would have probably said they were insane/crazy/pathological. That and some clutch performances recently from our entire staff, and better than expected results from Richard and Contreras, this season is starting to get a little interesting.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 02:35 AM)
If anyone would have said we'd be competitive still with Anderson/Wise in CF, Gordon Beckham being forced to come up from the minors and Carlos Quentin on the shelf for much of the first half, I would have probably said they were insane/crazy/pathological. That and some clutch performances recently from our entire staff, and better than expected results from Richard and Contreras, this season is starting to get a little interesting.

I was with you until then. Richard and Contreras only have like 5 quality starts combined this season. It's like as soon as Contreras returned, Richard started to fade off.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)

We add Q and we are gonna be real competitive. That is assuming Q returns to his form of last year or early this year, but there is no doubt he is better than Anderson/Wise (since that is ultimately who he replaces in the everyday lineup).

id rathers see beckham at SS and Nix at 3rd than the other way around in this situation...if theres one thing i am really frustrated at right now its the organizations lack of willingness to look at Beckham in the middle IF and Alexei in CF

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
We add Q and we are gonna be real competitive. That is assuming Q returns to his form of last year or early this year, but there is no doubt he is better than Anderson/Wise (since that is ultimately who he replaces in the everyday lineup).

What do you suggest the lineup be? I'm almost tempted to say you bat CQ 7th.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:39 AM)
id rathers see beckham at SS and Nix at 3rd than the other way around in this situation...if theres one thing i am really frustrated at right now its the organizations lack of willingness to look at Beckham in the middle IF and Alexei in CF

I think we have to live with the fact it's never going to happen. Ozzie reitereated that the other day.

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
Beckman 3 for 3, he sure is coming on late as far as hitting goes. 6-0 Sox.

17 for his last 58=.293

That said, I don't expect Gordon to hit more than 18-24 homers on a consistent basis.

But those numbers, solid defense, gap hitting, maybe 30-40 doubles....Chase Utley Lite will work.

If Juan Uribe could have ever figured out how to consistently manage a 750-850 OPS (raising his walks), he would have been SO much more valuable...but he still led us to the playoffs twice.

But Beckham can obviously take his share of walks. Hopefully Getz will pick it up in that category as well as he matures and starts to feel he belongs.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

Part of the reason is that the Sox probably see Mitchell/Danks/Quentin as the OF of the future. So after you move Alexei to CF, you gotta move him somewhere else right away. The Sox have more quality in the OF right now in the minors than in the middle infield.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
What do you suggest the lineup be? I'm almost tempted to say you bat CQ 7th.

Def. to start with. Bat him behind AJ and before Getz. You get a nice L/R/L/R (Beck last). As he starts to hit, you move him up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
I think we have to live with the fact it's never going to happen. Ozzie reitereated that the other day.

Nix at 3B isn't going to work as a long-term solution. He has the arm and fielding ability, but he just hasn't proven he can hit well enough to play anywhere but up the middle.

It would be better to trade someone like Shelby III for a Tyler Wigginton/Herbert Perry type and move Beckham over to 2B.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Nothing yet, but it didn't look bad after he got up. He'll be fine, maybe sit out a game, but that is as much as I'd expect he would be out.

It will be interesting to see if he uses Beckham or Nix at SS tomorrow.

Playing Beckham with Fields at 3B would work, but I think they will go with Jayson, for fear of upsetting the confidence Beckham has growing more comfortable by the day at third.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 01:45 AM)
It will be interesting to see if he uses Beckham or Nix at SS tomorrow.

Playing Beckham with Fields at 3B would work, but I think they will go with Jayson, for fear of upsetting the confidence Beckham has growing more comfortable by the day at third.

Might be Getz at 2nd, Nix at SS, Beckham at 3b, Fields at 1b, and Konerko at DH