White Sox Winner

kev211

QUOTE (ObamaKnowsBest @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
There's a difference between riding out the season with Pods and hoping for him to carry the team into the future. I'm just saying he should not be traded. The same people who say we shouldn't count on Pods next year were the ones laughing when we signed him to a minor league contract. Truth is we don't know and I wish some people would admit that more often.

I have admitted I was wrong about Podsednik, he's been a huge blessing. That doesn't mean you should count on him next year when prior to this season, he had put up a .256/.322/.353/.675 line in his previous 1008 plate appearances. If the Sox fall out of it in the next month or so, he should be gone. If they don't, he should be kept. It's pretty simple.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BurlyMan56 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
Lately, it seems there are more Future Sox fans on this site than White Sox fans.

I can only speak for myself. But unless you're the Yankees and have an unlimited amount of paper to spend, the best way to consistently contend is to have a healthy/productive farm system. I love KW. He's evolved a great deal as a GM. But I'm 100% sure he'd be the first one to admit that two playoff appearances in eight years, even one that ended with a title, is simply not enough. I'm not content with making the playoffs every 3-5 years. I know you can't win it all every year. But you can, as teams like the Red Sox, Angels, Twins and A's have shown, put yourself in a position to win it all every year. It's amazing to me that this franchise hasn't had back-to-back playoff appearances in like 90 years (although we probably accomplish that feat in '94). I know it's 2009 and this is the only year we should really be focusing on. And I don't recall anybody saying trade Dye, Konerko, Pods or any of our key players if we're in striking distance of Detroit. But if we're not in it, it'd be silly and downright irresponsible not to see what you could get for those guys. This team as currently constructed is not built to win for a number of years (like the Red Sox and Dodgers are). It's either now or never with this current group.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:14 AM)
I can only speak for myself. But unless you're the Yankees and have an unlimited amount of paper to spend, the best way to consistently contend is to have a healthy/productive farm system. I love KW. He's evolved a great deal as a GM. But I'm 100% sure he'd be the first one to admit that two playoff appearances in eight years, even one that ended with a title, is simply not enough. I'm not content with making the playoffs every 3-5 years. I know you can't win it all every year. But you can, as teams like the Red Sox, Angels, Twins and A's have shown, put yourself in a position to win it all every year. It's amazing to me that this franchise hasn't had back-to-back playoff appearances in like 90 years (although we probably accomplish that feat in '94). I know it's 2009 and this is the only year we should really be focusing on. And I don't recall anybody saying trade Dye, Konerko, Pods or any of our key players if we're in striking distance of Detroit. But if we're not in it, it'd be silly and downright irresponsible not to see what you could get for those guys. This team as currently constructed is not built to win for a number of years (like the Red Sox and Dodgers are). It's either now or never with this current group.

Excellent. I suppose I was even thinking about how often the Sox make the playoffs. It is quite depressing when you think that they haven't been to the playoffs in back to back years in such a long time. We think about the WS in 2005 and the exciting way we got to the playoffs last year, and we smile. But then we think about 2007, and we weep like small children.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
Excellent. I suppose I was even thinking about how often the Sox make the playoffs. It is quite depressing when you think that they haven't been to the playoffs in back to back years in such a long time. We think about the WS in 2005 and the exciting way we got to the playoffs last year, and we smile. But then we think about 2007, and we weep like small children.

I'm still not over 2006. If you told me that team was gonna fold like a really, really cheap lawn chair at the all-star break when they were damn near 30 games over .500, I would've thought you were short bus material.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)

Dude, If that was our outcome every 8 years, I would take that every time. The only teams in baseball I would trade 2001-2008 with, would be the Red Sox cardinals and Angels. Think about that for a second.

edit: Added cardinals

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)

The sox have never made the playoffs in back to back seasons in their history.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
Dude, If that was our outcome every 8 years, I would take that every time. The only teams in baseball I would trade 2001-2008 with, would be the Red Sox cardinals and Angels. Think about that for a second.

edit: Added cardinals

Twins? They were a coin flip away last year from winning their 5th division title in 7 years. The Braves won their division 5 times during that span. Oakland got their 4 times. Yeah, I guess if you guarantee me a WS title every 8 years I'd take it. But how realistic is that? You obviously give yourself a better chance to win it all by consistently playing into October. Not pulling a fluke year out of your ass every 5-10 years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
Twins? They were a coin flip away last year from winning their 5th division title in 7 years. The Braves won their division 5 times during that span. Oakland got their 4 times. Yeah, I guess if you guarantee me a WS title every 8 years I'd take it. But how realistic is that? You obviously give yourself a better chance to win it all by consistently playing into October. Not pulling a fluke year out of your ass every 5-10 years.

Why would you trade places with teams without a ring during that time span?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
Why would you trade places with teams without a ring during that time span?

It's not that I would trade places. I'm as thankful as anyone for 2005. But if you're telling me the Sox winning it all in 2005 is more impressive than what the Twins have been able to do since 2001, I think you're crazy (not you personally. I mean in general).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
It's not that I would trade places. I'm as thankful as anyone for 2005. But if you're telling me the Sox winning it all in 2005 is more impressive than what the Twins have been able to do since 2001, I think you're crazy (not you personally. I mean in general).

I wouldn't trade the Sox 2005 World Series for all 14 Braves Division Championships they had during that run. Obviously I would trade for the 14 if it included their ring. ;)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
Anybody counting on anything from Podsednik beyond this year is foolish. I think even the front office knows that. I could still see him being brought back, but they better have a good alternative in mind if they do.

Also, this team is starting to turn into something fun. I'm happy. And Gavin Floyd's ERA down to 4.12, and I was never worried. Gavin's good.

The alternative is giving Figgins a truck load of money. I don't know if that's a good alternative, but it's the only alternative I can see.