Giants like Dye?

whitesoxbrian

Why trade one of our best most consistent players? We are contenders because of J Dye. Reading these posts makes me reiterate my feeling about how low we value our own players. "Lewis is 29 yrs old and has so much talent-I would settle for..." this type of stuff is just ridiculous. We need to keep JD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
Why trade one of our best most consistent players? We are contenders because of J Dye. Reading these posts makes me reiterate my feeling about how low we value our own players. "Lewis is 29 yrs old and has so much talent-I would settle for..." this type of stuff is just ridiculous. We need to keep JD

No one is saying trade him yet.

However, most people realize that this team is still 50/50 on whether it's a contender or not. So why not explore and discuss all possible routes?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
Just an FYI, but aside from Gordon Beckham, ALderson would be the best prospect in our system and he's one of the elite pitching prospects in all of baseball. The youngest player in AA too, IIRC.

He can't be, considering his teammate in AA and fellow 07 draft class pick Bumgarner was born in 89 and is about 8 months older than Alderson..

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
He can't be, considering his teammate in AA and fellow 07 draft class pick Bumgarner was born in 89 and is about 8 months older than Alderson..

I thought Alderson was the younger of the too but that was off the top of my head. I know those two are the two youngest in AA or were about 3 weeks ago with Viciedo being the 3rd youngest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Dye staying on this team this year and next year is probably worth more than you would get in a trade for a half season of him to be honest. He is also our best player, and doesnt look to be slowing down.

He might be our best, but I would argue Buehrle over him, because of his influence on the rest of the pitching staff.

Now usually you would never pick a starter over a position player, but I think we could survive more easily without JD than we could without Mark Buerhle, who won't be 100% appreciated until he retires or is pitching with another organization (let's hope not!)

Odds are slim and none we can land Bumgarner. If there was a way to do it though with Dye + something, I'd bite...Even Posey, Alderson and I'd put Villona in that category. Maybe they can steal Ehire Adrianza, who lots of scouts really like. He is a SS so he has all the time in the world to develop as we have Alexi.

They also have an OF named Rodriguez, I do not remember his first name but I remember seeing something on him as their most toolsy raw prospect. Big risk but I doubt we can get some of the above guys.

Then again the Indians got LaPorta for a sure fire free agent, why can't we land Bumgarner for a guy with an option (that could be a forced exercised one) and still have type-A this or next season.

I think it could be done. It's unlikely though.

At this point lets add and go for it, but what? Realistically 2nd base is the only available position to add outside of SP...Both markets are weak.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
WHy would they have to send a scout to look at Dye?

Doesn't EVERYBODY know everything there is to know about Dye? He's a stud.

First of all, I think next year is a Mutual Option, so Dye may or may not be a FA, BearSox.

Second, in the other part of the article, it said the Giants might also be scouting Victor Martinez.

Third, I would love to keep Dye as he's been the most consistent player on the Sox for years. He's had bad stretches, but not nearly as long as others (I'm looking at you, Kong). But, if we can get something good for him, and we are really out of it, then why not?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
First of all, I think next year is a Mutual Option, so Dye may or may not be a FA, BearSox.

Second, in the other part of the article, it said the Giants might also be scouting Victor Martinez.

Third, I would love to keep Dye as he's been the most consistent player on the Sox for years. He's had bad stretches, but not nearly as long as others (I'm looking at you, Kong). But, if we can get something good for him, and we are really out of it, then why not?

No team is gonna exercise their portion of the option mainly because 12 million, in this economy, is too much for an aging, slowing down RF who likely will have to move to DH.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
But, if we can get something good for him, and we are really out of it, then why not?

Because he's still part of the future plans. Like Rock said, no matter how good the package is, it probably can't equal a good number 3 hitter for the next 2.5 years.

QUOTE (everafan @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
The Reds and the Giants could really use a right-handed power bat like Dye. You know who else? The White Sox.

Exactly. He's our best hitter and we're well-within the race. This is purely speculation and there's no reason to even consider Dye as a trading chip.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
didn't it say that if Dye gets traded his option becomes player only and no longer mutual? So, he'd most likley exercise it.

Not that we know of. He does have a limited NTC to a handful of teams I believe.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Exactly. He's our best hitter and we're well-within the race. This is purely speculation and there's no reason to even consider Dye as a trading chip.

Unless you think this team isn't a contender. I know a lot of people have confidence now, but I still don't see how it's still no 50/50 with this team. It's pretty silly to automatically say this team is a contender again because we're playing good for the past week or so. However, it's probably equally silly to automatically say team is a pretender because of our poor play in the past.

This team can still go either way, and I'd say us staying in the middle like we are is the worst possible thing we can do. Hopefully we either start to play extremely well and cement ourselves right in the middle of the playoff picture or we realize this team is bad and some work needs to be done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Not that we know of. He does have a limited NTC to a handful of teams I believe.

it doesn't read very clearly but here's an excerpt from the article:

Dye's contract includes a $12 million mutual option for 2010 that becomes a player option if he is traded. The Sox would receive two draft picks if Dye stays with the Sox but his option isn't picked up and he leaves for free agency.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
No team is gonna exercise their portion of the option mainly because 12 million, in this economy, is too much for an aging, slowing down RF who likely will have to move to DH.

Even in this economy, 1 year at $12M isn't all that unreasonable for Dye. At least at the plate, he hasn't shown much sign of "slowing down," unless a .290 avg and on pace for 35-40 hrs and 100 rbi is "slowing down." Bradley and Ibanez both just got $30M for 3 years, and Dunn $20M for 2 years, and Dye is certainly comparable, at the very least.

Out of the trio of Konerko, Dye and Thome, JD is the one I would most like to keep at this point, he has been unbelieveable for this team and this franchise. Considering the kind of person he is, and the handshake agreements he's made with JR and management in the past, I dont think they unload JD unless its completely a white flag situation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Out of the trio of Konerko, Dye and Thome, JD is the one I would most like to keep at this point, he has been unbelieveable for this team and this franchise. Considering the kind of person he is, and the handshake agreements he's made with JR and management in the past, I dont think they unload JD unless its completely a white flag situation.

Thome is the most expendable and/or replaceable. But, he is also an integral part of the team and hard to replace in that regards

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 30, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Thome is the most expendable and/or replaceable. But, he is also an integral part of the team and hard to replace in that regards

How is Thome easily replaceable? How many 35 homer power hitting lefties, which draw a 100 walks annually, are there out there which are available to us?

If this team was totally tanking I'd certainly think a deal involving Dye would be a good path to take, but at this time, our team is now over .500 and no more than 4 games out after tonight. Starting pitching is starting to show real consistency and some of our hitters are starting to play to form. Keep Dye and make a run at this division.