Shoeless Joe Jackson

MurcieOne

Eight Men Out = terrific movie.

Definitely on my short list of DVDs to buy.

"29 is not 30, Eddie"

Ah you can almost hear Jerry Reinsdorf saying the samething 2003.

I think Veeck is the only good owner in this city's history......well maybe Halas to.

"29 is not 30, Eddie"

I think Veeck is the only good owner in this city's history......well maybe Halas to.

Speaking of owners........ When did the Tribune Co. buy the Cubs? Who owned the Cubs before them?

"29 is not 30, Eddie"

Speaking of owners........ When did the Tribune Co. buy the Cubs? Who owned the Cubs before them?

I think it was about the same time JR and Co bought the Sox, let me look.

Veeck traded away our futures for the current on his shoe string budgets - I'm not that much a fan of us.

Art Allyn Jr is my favorite Sox owner - he bought the team from his brother John to keep the Sox from moving in 69. That is enough for me.

Veeck traded away our futures for the current on his shoe string budgets - I'm not that much a fan of us.

Art Allyn Jr is my favorite Sox owner - he bought the team from his brother John to keep the Sox from moving in 69. That is enough for me.

He really wanted to win. After a near miss in 72, he was very upbeat about the 73 team. Unfortunately that team had more injuries than any Sox team I can ever remember. Two years later he was selling. I liked him too. Veeck was a colorful eccentric, but your criticism of him is right on the mark. The trades after the 59 pennant winner were a disaster.

73 will always be my biggest heartbreak year

damn that hurt all season - other than 94, did we have bigger hopes going into a season - and 94 we can blame the lock out but 73 was all injury

thanks for the agreeing on Veeck and A Allyn - us old folks must stick together! :lol:

In our lifetimes, we have experienced every White Sox owner but one. :o Feel really old now? :ph34r:

Of course the Dorothy Rigney era was successful - didn't we finish 2nd every year with her owning the team? On average she has far and away the best finish record as an owner of probably any MLB owner ever.

Wonder if any other team ever had two women owners and do our younger fans even know that - :huh:

73 will always be my biggest heartbreak year

damn that hurt all season - other than 94, did we have bigger hopes going into a season - and 94 we can blame the lock out but 73 was all injury

thanks for the agreeing on Veeck and A Allyn - us old folks must stick together! :lol:

In our lifetimes, we have experienced every White Sox owner but one. :o  Feel really old now?  :ph34r:

Of course the Dorothy Rigney era was successful - didn't we finish 2nd every year with her owning the team?  On average she has far and away the best finish record as an owner of probably any MLB owner ever.

Wonder if any other team ever had two women owners and do our younger fans even know that -  :huh:

I wonder how different this organization would have been if we won that 1919 WS?

"29 is not 30, Eddie"

the wrigley company

you mention it, veeck had shoe strings as a budget, he had to do something, furhtermore he prevented the team for moving.

imagine if he has several other owners to help him. i think, imo he was the best with what money he had.

I wonder how different this organization would have been if we won that 1919 WS?

we'd be the team with 28 world series wins

...or at least one more... ;) :D

and who knows how many after that -

we left the door open for them when we were the dominant team

and once we got kicked down and they got to be dominant

it was not pretty.

Had we stayed dominant for the playing span of the 8, it would have kept going, IMHO, for us just s it did for them.

you mention it, veeck had shoe strings as a budget, he had to do something, furhtermore he prevented the team for moving.

I disagree.

Veeck sold us to John Allyn who was open to move us (thank God for Art, Jr.) and would have sold us the 2nd time to people who would have moved us as the reason for buying the team.

Like it or not, JR saved the team for Chicago that 2nd time around.

"29 is not 30, Eddie"

I think Jerry said that in 1997, "anybody that thinks this team can catch the Indians is crazy!"

Maybe he lerned a lesson? Then again maybe not.